What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to barge in on the download discussion... I gotta believe some of the 1066 owners are keeping tabs on what's going on the 950 noise issue. Can the 1066 owners report back the results of any similar tests performed on their 1066? Is there a faint hiss when you are listening right up against your speaker's tweeter?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Stephen,

"Can the 1066 owners report back the results of any similar tests performed on their 1066? Is there a faint hiss when you are listening right up against your speaker's tweeter?"

If your ear is within a few inches of the tweeter in order to hear any hiss, there isn't a problem. This is normal. If you can hear the hiss beyond a foot or so, or even worse at your listening position, then this is an issue.

So, are you interested in the 1066? If so, then I would not worry about the hiss issue unless a majority of the 1066 owners report back that they can hear the hiss at their listening position, which seems to be the criteria in the 950 posts you alluded to.

Anyway, why not audition the 1066 yourself and find out in person?

Michael

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
I am a proud owner of a 1066 and I do not ear any hiss whatsover both in my listening position and close up to the speaker.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Stephen,

With my ear pressed to the tweeter on my B&W Nautilus speakers, I can hear a faint hiss from my 1066. Get more than an inch or two away from the tweeter, and no discernable hiss. I took my Radio Shack SPL meter and stuck it right against my tweeter's grill and couldn't even register a reading.

From what I can tell reading the "950 Noise Floor" thread, there are only 1 or 2 people that actually have a noise/hiss problem. Everyone else's 950 checks out fine.

Gregg

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked my 1066 and qith the volume set to an extremly high level(71..I normaly listen at 65 and my says THAT is too loud) I have a faint hiss from about 1 inch away. Any further than an inch and it is quiet.

Jeff

brian a

Second Unit
Hey guys,

Rotel sent me a cable for the upgrade by mistake I guess. I don't need it, so if anyone wants it speak up.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
All,

I am now playing around with the sub and speaker settings. I have a question regarding the bass direction in 2-ch mode. I would like to set the fronts to small for HT but do not want to lose any bass for music as I prefer not to use the sub when listening to music. In 2-ch mode with the fronts set to small, both in analog passthrough and digital mode, do the front speakers get the full frequency range?

How do you fellow 1066 owners have your speakers set?

If they don't, I would then have to set the fronts to large as I do not wish to have to change it for each type of listening.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

The way I understand it is... whenever you change an input source to "analog" the speaker size settings are irrelavent. Size settings only pertain to the digital domain. When you select analog, you get full range information sent to your speakers.

Gregg

AlvaroD

Auditioning
Hi

Does anyone knows if the bass/treble correction is analog or digital ?

I know the Crystal CS49326 inside the rotel can do it in digital but then that wouln't work for the analog passthrough mode.

Thanks.

Alvaro.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Mike Sheehan from Rotel explained to me the bass and treble are in fact analog, they are useable in all sound modes as far as I know though. The settings are digital, whereas the signal alteration is analog. I am not sure if the signal alteration is still analog or digital in sound modes other than passthrough, but I guess it doesn't really matter anyways, considering the analog passthrough is most important to those who desire it.

AlvaroD

Auditioning
Thanks Steven
I have another question though : I've been looking to the Crystal CS49326 (chip inside the rotel) application note here :
http://www.crystal.com/pubs/an163-5.pdf?DocumentID=811
On the bass management question, pages 40 to 55, looking at Figures 9 and 10 it looks like the LFE track is low-pass filtered like any other channel. Do you know what happens to the LFE track (from 40Hz to 120Hz part), when all speakers are set as small and the crossover is set at 40Hz ?
Thanks again
Alvaro.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Gregg,
Being an AVM-20 owner, I can tell you that they have some of the information wrong with respect to the AVM-20.
1) There are 7 digital coax inputs, not 0.
2) There are 2 sets of zone2 outputs, not 1, the second of which is balanced.
3) There are 8 pairs of analog inputs, not 7, with the 8th one being balanced.
:) :) :) :) :)
Michael

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,
Boy, they didn't even get close on #1.
I'll forward your comments to the guy in tech support I always pester. If they send me a Rotel keychain, t-shirt, or Frisbee for catching their mistake, I'll be sure to share it with you. ;)
Gregg

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Hi Alvoro, here is the reply from Mike, hope it helps you!

Dear Steve,

What would happen to the frequency band if all sepakers were set to small, and the subwoofer crossover was set to 40Hz, is that the information between 100Hz and 40Hz would be lost, as the large/small speaker crossover is independent of the subwoofer crossover. Thus, when all speakers are set to small, all information below 100Hz for all speakers is sent to the LFE track, which is then in turn passed through the sub crossover and crossed over at 40Hz. So in order to avoid losing any bass information if you plan on using all small speakers, set your subwoofer x-over to 100Hz. Hope this explains it!

Best Regards,

Mike Sheehan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks