What's new

*** Official Resident Evil (GC) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Romier
Are you still playing on the easy level? I tried that for a while but I felt as though it was a bit too easy, with les zombies too, so I opted to go back to the Mt.Climbing difficulty.
I wish there was a medium difficuly setting, but between easy and hard, I gotta go with hard. Makes the game last longer, that's for sure.
Just started torching zombies...cool.
:emoji_thumbsup: :b

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I wish there was a medium difficuly setting, but between easy and hard, I gotta go with hard. Makes the game last longer, that's for sure.
This game is freaking tough. I've died more times already (and I'm only two hours into the game) then I did on all the other RE games. I'm pretty good at these things and those zombies are kicking my ass.

Rives Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
According to Capcom...

Hiking = Easy - Normal

Mountain Climbing = Normal - Hard

I have yet to encounter a Crimson Head, but I understand these guys dont pop out until

Spoiler :

You Kill Yawn

Is this true? or do they start popping up well before that

I also understand :

That if you try to burn the corpses of the zombies you see towards the beginning that were already dead, they jump up and become Crimson Heads also

Such a cool game

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
As for the Crimson Heads:

I believe they start popping up once you get the flask thing and all the dead ones you see before do start chasing you!

I'm loving this game and dying (no pun intended) to hook this up to the big screen tonight to really get the %&%* scared out of me!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Are you still playing on the easy level?
Nope. On Mt.Climbing here. I started the game on easy to get used the controls. When I got used to things last night I restarted at around 9pm and was playing until 4am. Now..I'm at the Dorm:D

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Guys, can you help me find the darned Armor Key? I can't find it anywhere!!

Also, what in the heck is the imitation key. Found it on the dog collar.

Please help.

BTW, this is my first time playing RE and I'm in love!! Freakin awesome gameplay and graphics!!!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey,

The Armor key is in the long hallway with the small block on the floor. The block has a key on it. If you take the key out it activates a trap where the the statue of the knight comes at you with the swinging blade fan.

You need to take the imitation key to to that there. Take the armor key from the block and replace it with the imitation key. That will turn off the trap and let you leave and move forward with the key.

You can find the hallway with the armor key on the left wing of the mansion. You must go the room where Kenneth was killed (Past the dining room, Where you saw the Zombie chowing down in that famous cutscene). Past Kenneth and go through the door on the left. Once you get to the sand colored room with all the mirrors (Its the same section you found the Arrow in)
you are close. From the door you came in from go into the door directly in front of it (There should be a dead body already laid out there.). That will take you right into the hallway with the armor key.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
For those of you playing RE and have played Silent Hill, how does the atmosphere/scare factor compare to the Silent Hill games? I always thought the SH games had better atmosphere and were a bit more freaky due to the demonic/twisted nature of the story. Also, the previous RE games relied heavily on "boo" type scare tactics as opposed to SH's more psychological scare. But this verion of RE sounds like it has a much better atmosphere. So how does it compare...both to SH and the original RE/Biohazard.

Aaron

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Aaron, I have only played Silent Hill 1 for the PSX, and loved it. I thought it was pretty freakin scary, but let me tell you, this RE is scarier. The sounds of the zombies actually makes my stomach a little queezy. It's like watching a good horror movie, yet you're part of it. SPOOKY!!!! :eek: :eek:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Also, the previous RE games relied heavily on "boo" type scare tactics as opposed to SH's more psychological scare.
Same type of scares here Aaron. Allot of jump out of your seat type stuff BUT (and thats a big but) there is ALLOT more atmosphere in this game. The lighting and camera angles help the atmosphere allot. This is definitely by far the most moody RE game available. While in the mansion you'll get a good creep factor.

Once you hit the outdoors thats when things get turned up a notch. The forest (besides looking beyond fantastic) is just THICK with atmosphere. The developers really worked to prey on a human beings natural fears (Darkness, woods, Ravens raspy caw, fog...). As mentioned above the Cabin is one of the most frightening events I've seen in an RE game. Its really damn creepy!

Now as creepy as things get during this game, in terms of discomfort and all round freak out factor, Silent Hill is still champ. The Toluca Prison in SH2 will be VERY, VERY difficult to top fear wise (The first time I played through that I contemplated turning the game off cause I was so freaked out. Yes I'm a wuss but it was 3am, no lights and a good surround system).

This RE game does go a long way towards bringing the game back to a more atmospheric scary experience. It cant be missed.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Wow, just wow. I did buy the GameCube for this very game, and let me just say, worth every penny for both the game and system (not to say that I'm not getting miles of fun from SSB:M mind ;) )!
I was happy to pay $70 just for that jaw-droppingly sweet intro alone. Best use of slow motion I've seen in a dog's age (pun intended). I haven't had the chance to explore or play much, but loving what I've seen. The lightning and shadow effects are just obscenely well done. Capcom knows it's stuff, and they've spread it throughout it seems.
I had lights on in the house and it was scary as hell even with them on. I can't wait to turn all the lights off and play at night and get the sweet bejeebus scared out of me :D.
In love, in love, in love! Please note: biased opinion of a Resident Evil freak who's played through every single game except the gun one, 'cause it's not real Res Evil. ;) But do note, those questioning whether it's scary: I have never found a Resident Evil scary until this one :emoji_thumbsup: And Resident Evil is now on the short list of four games that have ever scared me: They Hunger, System Shock 1, System Shock 2, and now Resident Evil.
If Eternal Darkness plays half this good, I'll be in Cube heaven!
Final note, those of you shopping around in Canada, Future Shop seems to have the best price (well, around here at least), offering $60 Canadian plus tax, and the Prima strategy guide is free. Not that I'll use the guide, but nice bonus, and $10 less than EB to boot. And the guide's got a sweet poster in it too!

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Arrgh! I must have this game!!! But it's all sold out here. I'm such a fool for not reserving it. :angry:
Aaron

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I'll be picking up this game this weekend. I would have had it already,but I just had to put my cat to sleep, & I really haven't felt much like playing games. :frowning:
Thanks for the reviews,though. This is gonna be a good one.
Calvin

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The Toluca Prison in SH2 will be VERY, VERY difficult to top fear wise (The first time I played through that I contemplated turning the game off cause I was so freaked out. Yes I'm a wuss but it was 3am, no lights and a good surround system).
Agreed. RE for the Cube is VERY good, (and don't take this as a slam, because it isn't) but it doesn't come close to the fear I felt playing SH or SH2. Overall, however, I would definitely say it is a better game. I've jumped several times, and it is much more frightening than any RE before it, but I did turn off the system while playing SH2 during the Toluca Prison. That part with the monster you couldn't see in the jail cells still scares the crap out of me. That and the sound of the hoofs in the courtyard running all around you.

RE for the Cube is such an incredible looking game. Around every corner (and I'm still in the mansion, I keep dying!) is something new and exciting. I can't wait to get to the Cabin, whatever it is, and then maybe I'll reassess my opinion of RE vs. SH2.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm at the cabin now and have had to take a breather! As for the RE & SH2 comparison, at least you don't have to take a break when your character "runs out of breath." I'm loving this game!!!

And Calvin, sorry about your cat! I had to do that to my dog years ago and, simply put, it sucks!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have never before played Resident Evil... but DAMN is it hard. I've tried Mountain Climbing first and Hiking second. It seems that every zombie grabs me before I can kill them... several bullets. Either I haven't figured out how to aim properly, or I need to shoot-run, shoot-run.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Has anyone noiced that the MAP acreen labels GREEN as "Explored" and RED as "Exploring"? In reality, RED is a room with items still remaining while GREEN is not. Knowing this helps me out greatly when exploring the various rooms. Maybe an error in translation?

Also, I've been playing on the Hiking setting and do find it a little too easy so far. I have plenty of ammo and ink ribbons. IMO, I'm too far in the game so far to want to change, but, on the other hand, I've heard Mountain Climbing is a little too difficult!

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
That part with the monster you couldn't see in the jail cells still scares the crap out of me. That and the sound of the hoofs in the courtyard running all around you.
Man, that was freaky. Did you ever understand what it was saying? I could never make it out. But even though I couldn't understand, it scared the crap out of me.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks