*** Official Resident Evil (GC) Review & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, May 1, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well, I woke up bright and early this morning and stowed away in my car to go pick up RE. Quite a line at the store! Apparently everyone and their mother wants this game and obviously this should go a long way in getting people over some of that "kiddie" image everyone is so hung up on.
    So away we go with my impressions (Having played for about 1 and 1/2 hours):
    Story:
    Come on. You know it. Something about Zombies and a mansion. [​IMG]
    Graphics
    Well here it is. The main beyoned belief reason to own Resident Evil on the Gamecube. Let me start out by saying that I've always been a fan of the RE series and Code Veronica was IMO the pinnacle of the series graphically so far. Times they are a changin!
    RE on the GC is simply stunning to behold. The intro movie (CGI) will get your heart pumping and get you in the mood to play. The atmosphere is great right off the bat. Once you finally step foot inside the mansion your jaw will drop. I popped in the good old Playstation original (A classic!) just for the hell of it and well there is simply no comparison. The prerendered backgrounds are gorgeus. Candles flicker and give off shadows. Jill and Chris walk and give off full shadows on the walls and tables. Lightning will crackle and give off lighting in the rooms. Very freaky. Capcom outdid themselves in the level of detail present in the backgrounds. Mind you I only played for a short time so I'm sure it will only get better.
    The characters themselves are just ridiculous. You can see the jackets and vests bend and move. Weapons actually hang on their bodies. Hair moves. Its just too detailed! Character animation when walking is good. Very lifelike. The only time I have seen issues is with the turning animations. They are very stiff and unrealistic. Its a small point of contention.
    My other main gripe graphically is with the in-game cutscenes. Though they display the same level of quality as the rest of the game there seems to be slight pauses as the game is loading in the content. Its very noticeable and jolting at the same time. It happens quite often too. Again its a minor point but a noticeable one.
    Graphically this is the pinnacle of the RE series and damn near one of the best looking games ever made.
    Sound
    One of the most important aspects of any horror game is the sound. So far in the short time I've played the moans and groans are fantastic. The lightning comes through beautifully. Every little thing in the background adds a level of atmosphere.
    The voice acting is much improved by the way. Not particularly at the level of Code Veronica (which has the best voice acting in the series IMO) but damn good. You wont be snickering anywhere near as much[​IMG]. Still I kind of miss the "master of unlocking" line...
    Controls and Gameplay:
    Let me say this now. I personally have never had a problem with the control scheme in the RE series. There are many that cant stand it, Im not one of them. But....The GC controller was not made for this type of game. One word can describe the controls. STIFF! I personally detest playing any RE game with the analog stick as it is no where near as responsive as the the D-pad. The same holds true here. The problem is the GC D-pad is so horridly small its impractical. Its a matter of me having to get used to it. (That or buy an adapter to use the PS2 Dual Shock)
    Now the good side of it is the rest of the button layout is fantastic. The c-stick is used to quick turn which is the so damn nice. Its accessible and works well. The b button is used to run and cancel out of menus. A is the all purpose action button. X is used to enter the menu. Z is used to open the map and of course the right shoulder button is used to draw the gun.
    One of the newest features added to the game are the defensive items such as daggers and the tazer gun. These items are quite easy to use. All you do is equip them in the defensive menu and hit the right shoulder button. Your character will automatically "have at it" so to speak. These things are a life saver and they are a great addition.
    Finally for those expecting to waltz into the game having played the original and get to solving puzzles and beating RE's ass...your in for a shock. Nothing is the same here ladies and gentleman. This isn't a remake. Its a reimagining. Sure the backgrounds (most of them) and story are the same but thats about it. Oh and good luck. Your gonna need it cause this puppy is tough!
    Conclusion:
    Well hell, its pretty easy. GO BUY THIS! I have issues with some of the controls in the game but once I get used to using the GC D-pad in the RE world that should be alleviated.
    So is the game scary? I dont know. I need to play this in optimal conditions (ie night time, no lights....) to further comment on that. So far things have been quite creepy (Though so far RE has a ways to go to compete with Silent Hill 2 in the "freak me out" department. That may change as I get further into the game though.)
    For those who have hated the RE control scheme this isn't going to change your mind. For those wanting the next BIG (*cough* excuse me HUGE!) title on the GC you cant go wrong with RE. As stated perfectly by Gamespot "Capcom has nearly perfected its craft and created the best Resident Evil ever"
    (though I'll have to wait until I complete the game to call it the best RE ever).

2. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Just picked up my copy and all I have to say is,
    "May those who take the key find peace in Death" [​IMG]

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Excellent first impressions Romier. I agree with you completely, especially in regard to the tiny D-pad, and the slight stutter in cut scenes.
    However hese are very small gripes as this game is AMAZING. It's all I hoped it would be and more...so far.[​IMG]
    And jeez is it tough. I think I am playing on the hard level since after just a few bites from a zombie...= "You Died!" And scary too. I was just walking by a window when some shards of glass fell from it and I jumped!
    Yeeeikes....this is gonna be a lot of fun.[​IMG] :b

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I swear the film, videogame and DVD industries knew it was my birthday this month. [​IMG] Finally I can dust off the cube!
    Dan

6. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Romier, try Control Type "C", it uses the R shoulder button for walking / running (sounds odd, but it works great) and uses L in the place of R...It is much easier this way to turn while running instead of awkwardly running into walls to turn while moving...

And I too have loved RE since its inception and have had no complaints about the controls. I just find the C control type to be easier to use now that its available.

7. Cameron Seaman

As good as this game looks, it would have been so much better in progressive scan! But the jaggie picture that the interlace mode creates on my TV does somewhat resemble grain and adds a nice touch. (To look at it in a positive way).
    16:9 would have also been nice. Since there are no life bars, I'm playing this with Toshiba's Theaterwide 1. Normally, I'd use Normal or Full to keep the entire image on screen, but Full makes Jill's ass too big! [​IMG]
    So far my control setup has been the default setting using the D-Pad. Old-school, PS-One style. I love it and have never condsidered it too small at all. I must have small hands or something because I'm definatly in a minority over the d-pad size preferance. You guys who complain about it, don't buy a GameBoy Advance. It's the same D-Pad!

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Just curious, but does this game suffer from the "camera angle change framerate stammer" problem (when the angle changes, the game freezes for a millisecond, but its noticeable and can be annoying)?

9. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Morgan, this stutter occurs only during cut-scenes, and is noticable, but does not detract from gameplay itself...unless you find that too annoying to look beyond, and if thats the case you'll be missing a great game.

10. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    This may be the game that finally forces me to go out and buy a GC :)

Aaron

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I played RE for about an hour last night and I was blown away. The atmosphere in this new rendition of the classic original is creepy. When I 1st walked out into the graveyard, my jaw hitted the floor. The swaying grass, rolling fog on the ground when you walked through it, and the camera angles were incredible. Capcom really has gone all out for this game and it will be a Cube seller. The character models are some of the best I have seen. Other than the cutscene camera stutter problem, this game is perfect Survival Horror yumminess.
    At least they kept in the "What is this place?" line. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

13. Cameron Seaman

AHHH!
    Damned Runners/Crimson Heads!
    Burn the zombies you kill! Jeez, I'm trying to cross a room while on DANGER and no Herbs. Entering a room only to hear maoning and the sound of RUNNING footsteps really makes you uneasy! Talk about a difference from the original!
    I'm jumping out of my seat as I make it to the door just before a Runner gets right behind me and begins to swipe! [​IMG]
    Now if only I had more time to play.

14. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Picked this up yesterday and played it a bit. I’m very impressed (my previous experience with these games has been limited to demos of the PC versions).

The game is very immersive…especially if you make your play area free of distractions (lights off, etc). The graphics are so good that they pull you in. It’s fun because you want to keep exploring the mansion, but yet you’re scared of what’s around each corner. Lots of cheap thrills (windows breaking, sudden lightning flashes) really keep you on your toes. I’m amazed at how well the lighting works…the polygonal characters blend amazingly well with the pre-rendered backgrounds. So far, the puzzles are intuitive and engaging. The map/item/file screens are easy to navigate and understand.

The cons of the game are minor, and are pretty much the same as has been mentioned for all the other games in the series. There’s still a bit of “Engrish” in the translations…doesn’t Capcom have any native English speakers working for them? They could have had a 10-year old proofread the game’s text and had a vast improvement. The controls are awkward, although I’m adjusting…I just need to remember to raise my weapon before firing (D’OH!). It’s annoying when there’s a zombie attacking that my character can easily see…but I can’t. The inventory system is quite frustrating…I was very happy when I found my first item box. The save system is inane…it’s bad enough that you have to find “save points,” but to tie it to a limited number of typewriter ribbons is just too much. If you haven’t been playing for long and need to stop, it’s a tough decision: do I waste a ribbon or do I go back through everything again next time I play?

Speaking of the save system, I can see why they included a free memory card for this game in Japan. Each save uses up 8 blocks, and in a game like this you want to have “back-up” saves in case you paint yourself into a corner and need to backtrack a bit. Can’t wait for the 251 card to come out next month.

I recommend the game unless you’ve played and hated the earlier entries in the series…the flaws from those games are carried forward here. To newcomers, I suggest that you approach this as an item management game first and foremost. You really need to think carefully about what you pick up, and how you use it. Once I put that philosophy at the forefront of my mind, the game became a lot more enjoyable and less frustrating.

15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

This game is creeping me out unlike any other RE game (well, except when I first played RE many moons ago!) and I find myself moving along slowly, dreading every corner, expecting those damn crimson heads to come running at me! YIKES! Can't wait for RE 0 supposedly coming before the end of the year! This is why I bought the 'Cube!

16. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Wow... hearing people rave about this game is making me think of getting a cube... But how will it look compared to good X-Box games on my widescreen Toshiba HDTV? And no DD 5.1? Sorry, guess I'm spoiled by prog. scan and DD sound by the X-Box... too bad it isn't going to that system...
    But, maybe I'll end up picking one of these up yet...perhaps during the expected post-E3 price drops? [​IMG]

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I can't wait to start playing this tonight. I'll have to wait until After Survivor & Must See TV though as I think it'd be better to start in the Dark.

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Behold, for this is now the offical Review & Discusssion thread for all things Resident Evil gamecube.
    Dan

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

OK...well I reached the Dormitory last night. (The snake boss is one of the damn coolest things I have ever seen in a game!) I am much more comfortable with the controls now. I found myself playing and no longer thinking about what to hit or how to move..I hit the sweet spot control wise.

Let me say this now. For those that have not gotten there. Once you leave the house.......just wait until you see the real outdoor areas and........the cabin (quivers with fear) THATS SOME SCARY SHIT!

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm gonna try to get this game by Scooterpalooza 2K2. If I can, I'll beg to put it on the big screen (after the main attraction, of course, so its pitch black outside).

I saw a commercial last night for RE and was blown away. It really looks amazing in motion.