What's new

*** Official Post-Oscar Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Bill just said what I was going to say. Just be happy it was nominated. Star Wars is my favorite and none of the prequels will come close to being nominated.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
When American Beauty first came out it was number 1 for a long time. Is it the best film of all time? No.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
I know this sounds unpatriotic but fuck it....enough with the 9/11 already.

Whoopi should be fired for good. What was up with the cape at the end?! How does Miss Hollywood Squares in any way represent the people who died on 9/11?!! I really hate the oscars, and I'm not sure why I keep watching. It really is nothing more than Hollywood insiders waxing each others cars. This year was the most blatlantly political. Why would Halle Berry and Denzil Washington win the same exact year? No other reason except that it looks good in the history books. While it was great seeing Woody Allen, it felt like he was performing rather than presenting. I have to say that Halle Berry's fifteen minutes of fame should be finally up. Stick a fork in it please. Randy Newman winning was cool, but for such a bland song. Washinton is a great actor but again why Training Day?

And what the hell is up with the documentary and short film nominees. If the Academy cares so much about these films why the hell don't they get them into more theaters to be seen? I have to be honest this year I missed a few films, but regardless I did see A Beautiful Mind, and it did not deserve to win.

Star Wars is my favorite and none of the prequels will come close to being nominated.
No shit. Tell me Terrell, do you think The Phantom Menace deserved to be nominated for Best Picture?

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Then we would see on IMDB a dropoff eventually (which I doubt we will). After all folks, The Godfather is still number 1 and I'm sure there aren't a bunch of "ardent" fans reduplicating their votes.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
We will see a drop off because they will find new films to become obsessed with, and over time the truly great films will gain more votes.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, I just enjoy them for what they are. All I can say is try to enjoy it and don't take it so seriously.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My favorite moment? Watching those two bald headed dwarves trying to crawl out the top of Uma Thurmans dress all night.
;)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Gosford Park's screenplay win isn't without precedent. It won the Writers' Guild award, I think. And hey, even if my favorite didn't win (Moulin Rouge), I cleaned up at the Oscars pool this year. That's why you bet with your head, not your heart. :)

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pleased to see that Denzel Washington finally took an Oscar (albeit for a Tony Montanaeque performance) and that the garbage known as Lord of the Rings and Moulin Rouge walked away (almost) empty-handed.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Tomoko, let me say this. The original Star Wars films are my favorite. They didn't win best picture. In the end, it doesn't bother me because I still love them just as much. All that matters is how you feel about the film. The Oscars don't validate opinions, even though it seems like they do. I'm sure you don't care about how I feel about a film, as long as you love it. That's the way it should be.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
michael*k O? and why was LOTR good for being looked over? FILL US IN o wise one.
Why should it have won? Because it looked nice? A movie isn't great just based on cinematography alone. And that's just for the New Zealand shooting. The FX were awful and the acting was marginal at best. Why Ian McKellen even was nominated is beyond me. Oh, I know why...if you play a noble old wiseman and get killed, you're automatically nominated for an Oscar. :angry: Truly a monumental waste of three hours of my time.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
MathewM ...... Link Removed
Is there anything else you want to BITCH and moan about?? I'm sure the lighting at the Kodak Theater didn't win you over either! Geez Louise!!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ouch!
smiley_bomb.gif

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I agree 100%, Terrell. You shouldn't need other people tell you what films are great, you should decide for yourself. The Oscars are pretty much pointless. Of the last 11 or 12 best picture winners, the only film that deserved to win was Schindler's List, in my opinion.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought Id mention that in Academy history only 2 sequels have been nominated for Best Picture being the The Godfather Part 2 and The Godfather Part 3 and only one has won Best Picture being The Godfather Part 2. Now I love LotR but im not about to put it that high on a pedestal, seeng as how FotR didnt win Best Pic I dont see how TTT or RotK will even get nominated, the sequels will probably get a few techies, thats about it.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Terrell,

No, actually I really like A Beatiful Mind. In fact, when I saw it I thought what a great film and how different from LOTR. Of course, I will be buying the LOTR release in August, in November, next year for The Two Towers, and what ever comes along.

todd stone

Screenwriter
michael*k awful effects? Uhh hello, until the day you can come CLOSE to doing any of that , I wouldn't talk.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I liked the 2002 Oscars very much! Very good show all the way down the line! To me, it sure didn't seem like it lasted 4 hours and 24 minutes.
I thought the moment of silence to commemorate the 9/11 victims was moving and touching.
Way to go Ron Howard!!! :):):)

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
One quick thought on the show.... where the hell did Will Smith go for the announcement of Best Actor? They showed a picture of him both after his nominee clip and during the reading of the award. (Sean Penn, too, but I didn't see him all night) But Smith was obviously there for most of the show, but then he leaves? Did he have somewhere else better to be? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks