What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (2 Viewers)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Nick Graham said:
Is there any discernible difference in PQ between component and HDMI? With my current TV, I've only got one HDMI input, thus either Blu or HD-DVD is gonna have to go analog.
NIck; I have the HDA1, Digitasl Box and PS3 all connected thru a HDMI switcher that works flawlessly. I too only have one HDMI input and that is how I dealt with it. I paid 169 CAD at London Drugs for a 3 x 1 switcher. Just FYI.

Hank_P

Second Unit
would like to add my input in here since I just got my PS3 (20G) hooked up last night.

Running some Monster Component and Optical out (to receiver) to an ol Toshiba 57H81. Looks awesome and sounds great. I was really on the fence for selling it for a while, but after watching some BR last night, I'm so glad I kept it. I have 2 additional BR on the way, Ice Age 2 and Phantom of the Opera.

I don't think it was answered in the thread, but YES, you can connect the PS3-20G to an Wireless Access point to connect to the internet... works great. Since my access point was already setup, once I plugged the ethernet cable in, bam.. it was connected, no additional setup on the PS3. As I will need to add a switch/hub in as I want to share the Wireless Access Point with my Xbox 360.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Watched THE SEARCHERS on Blu-ray using the PS3 last night. Was totally blown away that a film this old (1956) could look so stunning. Who needs 3-D? We've got Blu-ray! :)

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder
I'll be honest, I thought that the picture quality via HDMI was sensational. I've had no skipping problems or lip sync issues, which leads me to believe that the ps3 is definately one of the better blu ray players, and is a steal because because you can also play horribly bad ps3 games on it too.

But no, the picture and sound are exellent, and this is great news for console lovers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha, funny but true :D
I got mine Tuesday because I happened to be in EB when the shipment came and the three people in line before me got the three Wiis that came in. I picked up a PS3 because I figured it was $200 cheaper than the Samsung BD player, $400 cheaper than the Sony BD player, and even though none of the release titles appeal to me, I figured eventually they'll release games I like, meanwhile I'll save several hundred dollars on a pretty decent BD player.
There are a couple of games on the horizon I'm interested in, and by summer there should be some really decent offerings. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy mynew $599 BD player ;)

Zach

Agent
Am I correct that I need to manually command the PS3 through menu settings to either output audio via the HDMI cable (input directly into my tv) or output audio via the optical cable (input into my receiver)?

In other words, if I'm going to watch a movie (or play a game) and want the audio to come through my tv, I need to go into Audio Options and set audio out to my HDMI cable. However, if I want to hear the audio through my receiver I need to go into Audio Options and choose the optical out.

Is there no way to activate both and not have to manually choose one before using software? It seems that there must be an easier solution.

Mark Butler

Stunt Coordinator
Zach said:
Am I correct that I need to manually command the PS3 through menu settings to either output audio via the HDMI cable (input directly into my tv) or output audio via the optical cable (input into my receiver)?
In other words, if I'm going to watch a movie (or play a game) and want the audio to come through my tv, I need to go into Audio Options and set audio out to my HDMI cable. However, if I want to hear the audio through my receiver I need to go into Audio Options and choose the optical out.
Is there no way to activate both and not have to manually choose one before using software? It seems that there must be an easier solution.
You can set both. The PS3 will send both the HDMI and toslink signal out at the same time. However you still have to choose which component uses the signal you want at that time.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe a little off topic, but I am continuing to struggle with getting 5.1 to work properly with Blu Ray content (everything else works fine). I get a cut out with audio using optical that makes watching blu ray movies not work unless I switch to Linear PCM...which then puts the sound only in stereo.

I was thinking of buying a new receiver, but I'm not sure what to do with because I see most receivers now don't have 1080p HDMI switching

Zach

Agent
Mark Butler said:
You can set both. The PS3 will send both the HDMI and toslink signal out at the same time. However you still have to choose which component uses the signal you want at that time.
Mark, thanks for the reply. So I'm essentially correct that I need to pre-select the audio-out option via menu options in PS3 before starting a blu-ray movie or game?
That's a little inconvenient. Is that because they're both digital audio signals? My 360 will send audio via optical and composite jacks (attached to component video). That way, it makes no difference whether I listen through my tv or my receiver, there's always an audio signal available (whether I use my receiver or not) and it doesn't require any intervention by me.

pearlyred

Grip
Real Name
Lee
Eric F said:
output 720p for BD playback, 480p/1080i/1080p only.:frowning:
I hope they get this sorted by March. I'd love to pick up a PS3 when they're released here, but I won't be doing it if it can't output 720p to my Panny ae900e projector.
The first BD player just hit the shelves here for NZ$3,000. PS3 is slated as being ~NZ$1,200 on release. Big difference :eek:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TWISTED BULLET said:
I'll be honest, I thought that the picture quality via HDMI was sensational. I've had no skipping problems or lip sync issues, which leads me to believe that the ps3 is definately one of the better blu ray players, and is a steal because because you can also play horribly bad ps3 games on it too.
But no, the picture and sound are exellent, and this is great news for console lovers.
So RESISTANCE:Fall of Man is bad?

mclva

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Zach,

Take a look at this thread #247478 (sorry the edit wont allow me to post the link) - it talks about the same issue you're having.

BTW the thread is titled: "PS3 Blu Ray Audio Playback Problem" over in the HT Hardware - High Definition forum.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi

My receiver was not identifying the 5.1 coming from the PS3. It was driving me NUTS.

In the set up select BD/DVD

set BD/DVD audio format optical to BITSTREAM.

Some corny warning saying some portions of the BD will not play will appear.

My Pioneer is now showing 5.1 info and I am hearing the channels where before I wasn't

Scott

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Is anyone getting upconversion of standard DVDs on the PS3?
I am getting 1080p with BD, 720p with Resistance (game), and 480 with DVDs.
Joe

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
It most certainly does not. There is hope that they can add that later in software. Do your DVDs at least play back with the correct aspect ratio? (ie. widescreen is widescreen and fullscreen is fullscreen)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Derek_J said:
It most certainly does not. There is hope that they can add that later in software. Do your DVDs at least play back with the correct aspect ratio? (ie. widescreen is widescreen and fullscreen is fullscreen)
The upconversion update (w HDMI 1.3 Deep Color support) is expected around the time of the European launch.
4x3 and 16x9 play back in their OAR.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Peter, has that been officially announced? The lack of DVD upconversion is about the only thing holding me back at this point.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
The aspect ratio is not coming in properly either. Anyway to fix this or work around it?
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks