What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (2 Viewers)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
the PS3 doesn't modify aspect ratio of DVDs. it's likely your display which is locking into 16x9 "full" mode with a 480p signal even if it's a 4x3 signal that should really be pillarboxed on the sides.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Peter, has that been officially announced? The lack of DVD upconversion is about the only thing holding me back at this point.

Not Peter, but I've scoured the 'net far and wide and haven't seen any concrete announcements, just conjectures from various sites. The anti-PS3 crowd say "no chance, it doesn't even have a hardware scaler, and if there is a software fix it will draw too heavily on system resources". The pro-PS3 stance is that there might be a scaler chip that wasn't enabled properly and should be addressed by a firmware update (which Sony has backed off since their initial announcement of it).
The lack of scaling really does tick me off though. I wonder which will come first, the fix for it, or my buying a 1080p set. :p
My CRT RP HDTV is about to turn 7 years old, so it's nearly time for an upgrade. Just waiting on HDMI 1.3, deep color, and all that good stuff. Maybe late 2007.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Do you all think that the Blu Ray movies on the PS3 are grainy?
I only have Saw and the Sopranos but they are both grainy, especially Saw.
The game Resistance loooks great and DVDs aren't grainy either, is it just the two peices of BD software I happened to buy?
Joe

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
DaViD Boulet said:
the PS3 doesn't modify aspect ratio of DVDs. it's likely your display which is locking into 16x9 "full" mode with a 480p signal even if it's a 4x3 signal that should really be pillarboxed on the sides.
Mine only does that with the PS3. No such problem with the 360 or a computer. I hope they add an aspect ratio adjustment feature to an upcoming update. Even the 360 has that.
As for bluray discs being grainy, Superman Returns, yes, Talladega Nights, no. Maybe it depends on the film.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I got my monoprice HDMI switcher and new cables tonite, (monoprice rocks!) and switched the PS3 to HDMI from component. PQ is definitely a bit sharper and more detailed with HDMI. Also I directly compared the PS3 480P output through HDMI with my oppo player upscaled to 720P (native rate of my mits PJ) and I gotta tell you the 480P output of the PS3 was pretty damned close. (also the scaler in the mits is supposed to be very good too...) so everyone saying the 480P playback on the PS3 is "horrid" is definitely smoking something in my opinion.
but what do I know? I am keeping my oppo through the switcher because it's region free and I have a bunch of PAL discs.
:) d

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
so everyone saying the 480P playback on the PS3 is "horrid" is definitely smoking something in my opinion
Or they simply aren't aware that DVD playback on the PS3 defaults "Image Quality Adjustment" settings of both "Frame Noise Reduction" and "Block Noise Reduction" to "2".

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
DaViD Boulet said:
News to me too. How can this be adjusted? thanks!
The triangle brings up the onscreen control menu. Couple rows down and to the right is the "Image Quality Adjustment" setting. Select with "X" and adjust accordingly. I turned them both to "OFF"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks Sony for neglecting to put that in the instruction manual! :frowning:
Peter, what exactly do those values do, do you know? I suppose setting it to "zero" means turning them off? Is there anything on the BD side that should be enabled/disabled that you know of, to maximize playback?
Thanks!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to hear everyone's feedback after modifying the settings for 480p and how it compares to their existing SD DVD player. I'm considering purchasing the PS3 for Blu-ray, but would also possibly use it for SD DVD if it's quite good.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to hear everyone's feedback after modifying the settings for 480p and how it compares to their existing SD DVD player.
Since I don't have a scaling DVD player here, it seems quite good compared to my other progressive (480p) DVD players. "Crisper" is the word that comes to mind, of course it's also running thru HDMI so that can be the biggest difference.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Putting Cars (DVD) through its paces, after adjusting the settings as PeterTHX pointed out, and it's looking really good on my 32" LCD TV (1366x768).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know for sure if a firmware upgrade will solve the black and white clipping issue over HDMI? (I don't understand why this seems to happen with almost every HD player released.)

I found a 60 gig at Target on Dec. 29th, but it is still in the box.....

I know that I should have it hooked up and running, but I have a 52"XBR3 LCD on order along with the BDP-S1 and the STR-DA5200ES. I'm expecting delivery by the end of the month so it really not a problem.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I picked up a PS3 on Friday, opening up a Target credit card to save 10%. I'm thrilled with the quality of the machine. When I took it out the box, my housekeeper says "it's beautiful" :)
It took a while configuring the wireless and setting up the audio, plus several hours of downloading demos (thank goodness I bought the 60GB model, I've downloaded 15GB worth of demos so far).
I've played a couple Blu-ray movies and again no problems at all (unlike the glitchy HD-A1 player I have). Only odd flaw I've found so far (watching movies and during games) is that the HDMI connection resets when each screen is displayed (like FBI warnings, trailers, menus, etc) which causes a little flickering of the image. The HD-DVD player doesn't do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks