What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.
I recently acquired a 60 GB PS3, and I am a little confused by the system software settings. (Kudos to Mark Butler for the link to the 'real' manual :)) Anyway, what I am confused about is that I see there are settings under BD / DVD settings that address video out via HDMI, but are there settings for video via HDMI for games or does it default to something? If it defaults, what does it default to?
Thanks.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Jim Stegbauer said:
I found a 60 gig at Target on Dec. 29th, but it is still in the box.....
Mine is still in the box as well, since 12/18. I bought it at Target as well. I have till March to return it if I don't open it. I'm waiting around to see how things pan out after CES. Standalone Blu Ray players might drop under PS3 prices in the next couple of months and I might just get one of those. I have enough games on my 360 to keep me busy. I don't really need another game system.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It defaults to whatever resolution the game is and your monitor supports.

720p goes to either 720p or 480p

1080p to 1080i or 1080p

1080i to 1080i

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
PeterTHX,
Thanks. But under the BD / DVD Settings for HDMI video the choices are: Automatic, RGB, or Y Pb, Cb / Cb Pr / Cr. Any idea what games default to, Automatic? Still confused. :confused:

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure, I've just set it to "automatic"
I guess there are some monitors out there that specify exactly what type of HDMI input signal is preferred. My Sony XBR does not.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
PeterTHX,
Thanks again. I was trying to work around a specific issue with my Mitsubishi WD-65731 where 1080p feeds into it appear 'washed out'. I thought I would try setting the HDMI output to either RBG or Y Pb, Cb / Cb Pr / Cr and see if the picture improved, but there was no difference. If I force the PS3 to output 720p via HDMI rather than 1080p, I see the kind of picture I expect. There's something wrong with the way my display accepts a 1080p input for a 1080p TV. :frowning:
What kind of XBR do you have? Are you seeing a 'washed out' picture over 1080p or the 'green push' I've seen referenced in the XBR2 thread over at the AVS Forum? I'm coming to the conclusion I will be in the market for a new display soon.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a 20 gig PS3 today at Target. They are near impossible to find my area - but I forgot to buy the remote!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure Peter has the KD34XBR960.

My equip.

KD34XBR960 (tv)

STR-DA333ES (5.1 reciever)

I think I'm gonna go get a PS3 20G but I want to make sure I know what I'll have.

As this would be my only HD source I would hook the PS3 up via HDMI to the one HDMI on the tv. Simple right? Is the PS3 HDMI 1.3?

Audio wise this is an older 5.1 receiver which I guess will need to be replaced in order to have all the new audio formats. Is 1.5 mbps DTS the best I'll get right now with this configuration? I won't get any lossless?

Thanks.

Edit: and for my peace of mind... the PS3 can 'lay down' right? It doesn't have to stand up?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
PS3 can go upways or sideways. It's curved though so you can't stack another component on top of it.

It has HDMI 1.3 which futureproofs you for deep color and advanced auido in native compressed form to your future decoder.

Yes, if you don't have HDMI on your recevier the best audio you'll get over the (optical) SPDIF output right now is DTS 1500 data rate from DTS-HD streams and DD 640 rate from DD+ or D THD streams.

With LPCM titles, the player will downfold the signal to 2 channel in native resolution over SPDIF. You can then playback in stereo or via ProLogic. That sounds primitive, but it actually can sound BETTER than lossly codecs in multi-channel!

I don't think that the PS3 will do 5.1 analog ouptut from internally decoded advanced audio streams. However, our need for that is only temporary as our next receiver (both you and me) will be HDMI.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I just finally cracked open the PS3 thats been sitting in my room for months to sell since Nov 17th. And my parents got a new Sharp Aquos 1080p tv. Hooked it up to the TV via HDMI to watch Talledega Nights, and was blown away how frickin razor sharp it was. Now I just gotta buy some games and some more Blu-Rays.

BTW, what would be some killer apps avaiable to show off the TV?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
DaViD Boulet said:
PS3 can go upways or sideways. It's curved though so you can't stack another component on top of it.
It has HDMI 1.3 which futureproofs you for deep color and advanced auido in native compressed form to your future decoder.
Yes, if you don't have HDMI on your recevier the best audio you'll get over the (optical) SPDIF output right now is DTS 1500 data rate from DTS-HD streams and DD 640 rate from DD+ or D THD streams.
With LPCM titles, the player will downfold the signal to 2 channel in native resolution over SPDIF. You can then playback in stereo or via ProLogic. That sounds primitive, but it actually can sound BETTER than lossly codecs in multi-channel!
I don't think that the PS3 will do 5.1 analog ouptut from internally decoded advanced audio streams. However, our need for that is only temporary as our next receiver (both you and me) will be HDMI.
Thanks for the input. Do I want bitstream as a default since I will be using optical/SPDIF?
Also, will the player still downfold the signal to 2 channel in native resolution with LPCM titles over SPDIF with bitstream set in the player?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Also, will the player still downfold the signal to 2 channel in native resolution with LPCM titles over SPDIF with bitstream set in the player?
All titles (Sony, Disney, Lionsgate) that have multichannel PCM also have Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks as well.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Peter.
I've been experimenting with the THX Optimizer of T2 (BD) tonight. It seems to be inaccurate (wow, big surprise :) )...
Are there any kind of calibration sources to use - namely for color decoding? I'm trying to calibrate red and green in particular.
We really need a Blu-ray DVE or Avia (or something).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Talladega is NOTHING. Wait until you see Kingdom of heaven, blackhawk down. Makes Talladgea look SD by comparison.
:)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Are there any kind of calibration sources to use - namely for color decoding? I'm trying to calibrate red and green in particular.
We really need a Blu-ray DVE or Avia (or something).
Well, until they're ready, for now I used the SD DVD of "DVE" to set the HDMI input of the PS3. Beforehand it looked too much like my TV was set on "movie" (too dark) or "vivid" (too bright/colorful). Of course, make sure the Image Enhancement SD DVD settings are turned OFF.
It worked! Using the recommended SD DVD settings of DVE worked for BD discs as well! The grain of titles like "X-Men: The Last Stand" or "Click" was distracting before...and now the grain was natural and unobtrusive for a smooth, filmlike image with plenty of shadow detail. Titles like "Black Hawk Down", "Ice Age: The Meltdown", and "Million Dollar Baby" took on a new dimensionality. Games look better too. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, last night I got my PS3 fully hooked up with the Blue Tooth remote. All in all, it's quite nice. I really like how fast the unit is with menu selections, navigation, etc. I was also quite pleasantly surprised at the included coupon book included which gives me $10 off a BD from each studio ($70 off in total).

I've only watched a few clips from several movies (which I plan to watch completely this weekend) which include Terminator 2, Talladega Nights, and Black Hawk Down.

Terminator was ok (though I wasn't shocked as I read the reviews beforehand), but it is definitely a clear improvement over the "Extreme" SD DVD. The image is sharper, more detailed and film like - color rendition seems more natural.

Talladega looked pretty decent.

But, Black Hawk Down just looked shockingly good. I mean the amount of detail and resolution was phenomenal. Wow.

Also, watching the Sony trailer and seeing clips of Spider-man II ---- I really hope this is released this year!

I should be getting in some Netflix titles this week.

(My display is a a well calibrated and ISF'd 57" Sony CRT RPTV KP-57WS520)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the PS3 480p output....

I've considered using this as my SD DVD player, as well. On a subjective and objective level, the image looks pretty solid. Good color, no YC delay, fairly sharp image, good resolution on the Avia 200MHX pattern. I have found RGB is required for me to get correct color decoding (not surprising since I have a CRT).

I ran the PS3 through some of the HQV deinterlacing tests and it did ok with the jaggies tests and the waving flag, but failed the film detail test (never locked for me) and the 3:2 24fps test (banding on coffee cup, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks