What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
9 /10

Pretty much everything that Scott and Chuck said. It had all the neccesary elements of a big-time summer fun movie, and I didn't feel that it ran a minute too long. I completely agree with Scott when he says that Depp's performance is deserving of an Oscar nomination. I know it will never happen, but wouldn't it be awesome if it did?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
7 out of 10.

Depp (and to some extent Rush) and the magnificent ships, sets and scenery (the money most definitely was all put up on screen) made this movie. Without those elements it would have been just another big budget Bruckheimer vehicle.

If the film had stayed as strong as the first 1/3 (deft blending of British humor, sharp dialog, and Errol Flynn type swash buckling) all the way through it would have been up there with Raiders. However, during the action sequences at sea I started to groan ever so slightly because it looked like it had been Bruckheimer-ized to some extent (not as much as some of his weaker attempts like Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Gone in 60 Seconds, and the Bad Boy franchise). You know what I mean: quick/jarring cuts (don't they know how to stay on a shot for more than 15 seconds?!), sloppy and convoluted editing & pacing, and some inane bits of comedy relief thrown into the action pieces (dressing up two pirates as ladies out for a moonlight boat ride to distract the British crew, for instance). The very fact that the film had three editors (at least one is a Bruckheimer regular) should tell you something right there. When that happens you tend to get a mish mash of styles.

As the story moved out to sea and to the cursed pirates I felt they weren't menacing and scary enough when they needed to be. They could have made it more like The Fog, at least with the atmospheric sense of foreboding and lurking terror when they were feeling a tad "naughty" (I don't mean it had to turn gory). Verbinski and the writers started setting you up for this with their mentioning of the Black Pearl with "bogeyman" and old sea-fearing wive's tales weaving an air of creepiness that never really materialized. I mean it was PG-13 (and almost was an R) for Heaven's sake. It's not like it was some kiddie fare. The Disney brass seemed to get squeamish when it came to having undead villains, and yanked back the reins on Verbinski (who has some sense of that genre).

There has got to be more of the pirate's backstory as it seemed like some important stuff got cut out abruptly (perhaps at the last minute due to the film running into the longish side).

As for the romance, I would rather have seen Knightly (with a little tweaking and a little more meat on her bones could be the next screen babe in the making) with Depp than Bloom. In fact, it seemed like she was kind of interested and intrigued with Depp's adventurous spirit sometimes. Bloom is a pretty boy, but couldn't hold his own whenever Depp and/or Rush were chewing the scenery. Depp and Rush are true character actors par excellance and to match them with Bloom was a big mistake (although I see that the execs. wanted the nubile teenage girls to turn out in droves for a mostly male genre). He needs more experience as a solid actor. As is, the Knightly/Bloom angle needed to be fleshed out a bit more than the short shrift attention it got (10 minutes of screen time maybe?).

Perhaps I saw a previously damaged print because there were a few sequences at the end that left me scratching my head and thinking, "huh?" I won't spell them out here as that would ruin the film for some folks. Again, I think it could have fallen victim of Bruckheimer's tinkering as he notoriously does to give it his "signature" look and feel.

Pirates of the Caribbean, on the whole, has the right ideas and so did the writers, it just doesn't quite go all the way into that realm which higher echelon action/adventure films like Raiders and Jaws attain.

Still a fun and quirky ride, and it does deserve at least one or two viewings. Comparing it to other Bruckheimer productions, I'd rank it up with Enemy of the State, if not better.

I hope that Disney has the sense to bring out a loaded DTS special edition with fully fleshed out director's cut (there's an even better film lurking somewhere in there, and home video doesn't have the time constraints of commercial theaters) when they do put this on DVD. I'd buy it!

Dan

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
:star::star::star::star: of four

Yo ho! Yo HO! a pirate's life for me!

Want an absolutley enjoyable and funtastical experience. I enjoyed myself totally thoroughly. Perfect blend of action/drama/romance/comedy/scares that comes out as a perfect film that even surpasses the Ring as a better film (in my estimation). Verbinski shows that he is a talent to be watched, and on the strength of this film he has made it onto my carefully pruned automatic watch list.

There is something incredibly classic and perfect In Captain Jack Sparrow's entrance, the way he sails that particular ship that particular way into port. It's utterly and absolutely perfect. Everything with Kiera Knightly is absolutely Golden! Her character is nearly as fun as Jack Sparrow, brilliantly, BEAUTIFULLY done. :D And Geoffrey Rush is simply genius as the captain. Fantastic snarling villianry that also has depth to it. Orlando Bloom doesn't have a lot to do outside the occasional battle.

Still a darn near perfect bit of entertainment that is fantastically executed with only the slightest of easily forgiveable flaws.

Top Notch Summer or Any Time Entertainment

I'd like to nominate Johny Depp for an Academy Award right now!

Adam

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Gore Verbinski’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl combines the elements of good storytelling, fine acting, incredible special effects, well-staged action sequences and a fitting musical score. This is the summer action film that actually delivers. Its script has wit and humor and Johnny Depp’s playfulness as Jack Sparrow is a hoot. There is not a single weak link in the entire cast.

The various references to the theme park adventure ride were quite fitting. Too long? Nah. Just like the actual ride itself, you think its going to end but it doesn't and the fun continues. But when it did end, it sure put a big smile on my face.

Pirates is so good that it almost made me want to buy back those shares of Walt Disney stock I unloaded just a couple of days ago. Next to Finding Nemo, this should become, Disney’s second hit feature film this summer.

~Edwin

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
This film was absolutely a lot better than I thought it would be. You can find the theme park ride all over this movie. Stay through the end of the credits!

Since they're also releasing The Haunted Mansion, it made me wonder what other rides they'll be making into movies. Gives me bad thoughts about the Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, The Enchanted Tiki Room, The Hall of Presidents, and horror of horrors, It's a Small World: the Movie.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What can I say about such a wonderful film :)

Terrific pacing and storytelling not to mention great performances all around. Obviously the big awards don't go to films like this, but if there was ever someone deserving of an Oscar for a popcorn flick it's Johnny Depp. When watching this film, it was evident that all the parties involved were having a terrific time.

The action was well scripted, and the special effects were very well-done, but not over-done. All too often big-budget action movies come with crummy scripts as part of the package deal, but Pirates was very well written.

Overall, a tremendous film that is guaranteed to give you a great summer ride.

****½/*****

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I saw the movie this afternoon and enjoyed it immensely. Alot better than "Cutthroat Island" -- The performance of Johnny Depp was pretty good. Johhy Depp did an excellent job portraying the 'Pirate" persona, comical and distrustful, (as one would expect from a pirate) character. One of the few that I've enjoyed watching on screen. Is it just me, the main actress looked very similar to "Natalie Portman" during her close up scenes? IMO... I was expecting it to be rated "R" but it received a PG-13 instead. Whomever did the CGI for this movie, did an excellent job. I'm looking forward to see what got deleted on the dvd.

-bruce

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Having seen the movie two days ago, I have to say this movie FAR exceeded my expectations, to say the least. I thought it was going to be another typical summer popcorn movie
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
but it turned out to be the second best movie of this summer after Finding Nemo. :emoji_thumbsup:

Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow was nothing short of amazing. :emoji_thumbsup: He played up the campiness of the pirate captain character perfectly without going to excess; I especially loved the introductory sequence for the character when--

--you see Captain Sparrow introduced on what you think is the top of a sailing ship but in reality is a sinking little boat! :laugh: That was truly an very nice and ingenious piece of filmmaking.

I really do think that Depp will get nominated for an Oscar for this wonderful performance. :)

I rate it as :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: ; it is definitely worth seeing more than once. :emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My wife and I saw "Pirates" at a matinee yesterday. Great fun, terrific performances! I hope Johnny Depp is open to reprising Jack Sparrow in the sequel. He was very funny! Three out of four stars for us.

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:
Just got back from a showing and it was a lot of fun! For me, it was everything League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't. I saw them both on the same day and was much more entertained by Pirates. This is what a summer "popcorn" movie should be. DVD purchase for sure.

Saw it with pretty much a full house, and people were definitely having a good time, especially during Depp's scenes. Clapping and cheering and all that. Hope this one has good legs--it'll be fun on repeat viewings, I'm sure.

See this one instead of LXG.

enjoy

tony

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
(P.S., I thoroughly enjoyed this film too, best action flick this summer next to Matrix (which is only a *hair* better overall), and #3 on my list for 2003 thus far, at 90%).

Benny G

Second Unit
Before I read any reviews for this movie, I was not expecting much from this movie at all. I briefly scanned some reviews to see if it was worth viewing and decided I absolutely HAD to see it.

I just saw it, and I'm disappointed. The soundtrack was excellent. The story didn't bother me, seeing as how it was kind of a "fun" movie. Johnny Depp was absolutely terrific.

I absolutely hated the action scenes. Nothing bothers me more than unrealistic action, something I thought this movie was full of. The CGI may have been good, but I cannot imagine real-life fights (assuming the story true) being even remotely close to what the movie showed. Argh.

2.5/4

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Everything that Scott said counts for me. Easily the best summer movie in a decade, perhaps even since the '80s.

This film is perfect in so many ways, I can't really think of anything to bring it down. I continued to hold my breath that it would falter at the end, but it went on and finished excellently. It even holds up wonderfully to repeat viewing.

Gore has two out of the park homeruns and I would hope that with this and Black Hawk Down, Jerry Bruckheimer will be approached a bit more open mindedly by the critical movie goer.

I only rate to four, so this gets an enthusiastic :star: :star: :star: :star:. I will hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm nearly sure this will be in my top 3 of 2003.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
FINALLY a live action Di$ney movie that isn't complete and total garbage. Let it be known that other than animation films, I HATE,DISPISE,HATE,LOATHE,HATE DI$NEY!!! I loved Pirates,I refuse to believe that the mouse was involved with this production. How refreshing. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: 1/2
Is it too long? yes,but I didn't care.
Best and most enjoyable film of the summer!

P.S. Keira Knightley played the decoy to Queen Amidala in Episode 1 thats why she has a striking resemblance to Natalie Portman.

P.S.S. stay for the credits.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, but I was disappointed - aside from the absolutely stunning Keira Knightley and Depp's performance, I was bored throughout. This film is literally an hour too long. The score didn't really stick out to me as many have noted previously, but all the other technical specs were fantastic. It was a good summer movie I guess...

Regarding this year for movies, aside from the worthwhile Phone Booth, 28 Days Later and two or three scenes from The Hunted this has been a big let down for films. Perhaps because 2002 was so big, this year pales in comparison.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Loved this movie, but then I'm a sucker for a pirate flick. Johnny Depp, sounding like a swashbuckling Keith Richards (only missing the dangling cigarette), gives the most entertaining performance I've seen in some time. And Keira Knightly is just absolutely gorgeous. Wow, what a face. Just a very fun popcorn movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Erin, I missed the credits, could you elaborate in a spoiler tag?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw this saturday night. Really, really enjoyed it.

Depp was so good that nearly all the scenes without him, lacked presence. Still, a very fun movie that I want to see again.

Would've been even better with a little trimming here and there, but still rates a

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Very entertaining.

During sone of the parts in the movie I was remembering films like The Crimson Pirate, and Nate and Hayes. Both movies I remember going to with my friends as a kid on a Saturday matinee. I left this movie with the same feeling I had when I was a kid. This movie was fun. Far better than what I would have expected from a Disney pirate movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks