What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Actually, I think Johnny Depp, himself, said he partly based his performance on Keith Richards.
Exactly, and I thought of Keith for the ENTIRE movie. :)
Enjoyed Depp's performance a lot -- could have used a bit less of Keira Knightley. In any event, worth seeing but definitely needed to be tighter.

:star: :star: 1/2/:star: :star: :star: :star:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Good summertime swashbuckling action, with good humor.
Erin, I missed the credits, could you elaborate in a spoiler tag?
At least that's how I remember it. I stuck around because I had heard there was something. Not really that big a deal.

By the way, the credits seem to go on forever, as they do for most movies these days. They have to acknowledge the gaffer's third assistant's cousin's hairdresser, etc. Whatever happened to the days when they just listed the actors, director, and producer, and that was about it? :)

Paul>Wh

Agent
I too loved this film although it was about 15 min too long I didn't care. A good adventure story that will be a fun DVD for me to have later down the road (please do it right). Just one more thought from me,
P.S. Keira Knightley played the decoy to Queen Amidala in Episode 1 thats why she has a striking resemblance to Natalie Portman.
Wasn't she the friend in Bend it Like Beckham as well?

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Reminder: This is the Official REVIEW thread for Pirates of the Caribbean. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues, please use the Official Discussion Thread. Thanks!

M.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I agree with just about all of Scott's points, and did not read his (or any review) beforehand.

In an age of brainless, bombastic Hollywood Big Budget Cinema, Pirates does indeed show that good moviemaking can still be done by a big-name studio and producer.

I don't think what I'm about to say is spoiler-worthy, and my girlfriend actually brought it up and I wholeheartedly agree:

Johnny Depp's entrance in this movie might be his best ever. ;)

This will be a day-n-date DVD purchase for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and actually my SO thought that Keira looked a lot like a young Winona Ryder, especially in Edward Scissorhands when she had the blonde hair/wig. Ironic that Depp was in that movie as well.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw this over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. And I agree Johnny Depp stole every scene he was in.

:star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Saw this yesterday, for a long movie it really breezed by me. Depp was quite funny!

8/10 for a really satisfying summer movie

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
A fun summer film. Lots of "me toos" on Depp's performance. He exudes the joy of performing. Keira is gorgeous!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have not seen a movie this good in a very long time.

Went and saw it Friday night at Down Town Disney and then again at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, both screenings were nearly sold-out.

What a ride of a movie. The acting by all was excellent, the casting was perfect, story decent, special effect's were very well done, every transition...even the slightest from flesh to bones was perfectly done.

The best part of this movie though, all the stuff from the ride. From sound effects, to characters, the dialog, set design, it was loaded up. I'm almost willing to bet some of those cave scenes were actually shot in the ride. The Snow White reference was classic.

My favorite ride in the park is The Haunted Mansion, if it is anything like this, it will be a must see as well. Just from the trailer, it's also packed with ride stuff.

Peace Out~:D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Lots of fun here!

Johnny Depp never disappoints me, which is why he is one of my favorite actors working today.

:star: :star: :star: 1/2 (out of five)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I found Pirates of the Caribbean to be a decent time-waster, but not very memorable. Depp does manage to light up the screen whenever he's on, but the female lead is forgettable. Geoffrey Rush is now the leading contender to play the lead in The Vincent Price Story, should such a film ever be made. The worst element is the turgid, off-key, "synths & strings" score. Klaus Badelt (and the rest of the Hans Zimmer clones who provided music) just doesn't get that this is supposed to be fun and not Gladiator. The other thing that keeps it down is that it's way too long, about 40 minutes too long. Such a simple story should not have gotten so bloated. Very nice make-up and CGI for the skeletons, though. Good stunts and swordfights, too (though not as good as The Crimson Pirate, Captain Blood or The Sea Hawk).

2 1/2 out of 4.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Best movie I've seen this year. Although I've only seen 5 movies this year (sorry...I'm pretty picky).

Johnny Depp's performance is nothing short of AWESOME. His quirky and odd Jack Sparrow wonderfully complements Orlando Bloom's straight-laced Will Turner. Keira Knightley is a budding star.

Memo to Michael Bay: THIS is how you do a summer blockbuster flick.

Overall, a great summer movie. It may have run a teency bit long and have benefitted with some shortened scenes. Still, a wonderful, fun, exhilirating movie.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this for the second time now and it holds up really well and so does my initial review. In my view, Pirates is one of this summer's better films.

~Edwin

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I saw this film today and must say that it is about 30 minutes too long and the music soundtrack is terrible. Whoever they got to write the music should not be allowed to write another film score ever. However, it was a fun movie to see and Johnny Depp was the best thing about this picture.

:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'll agree on the length

Tomoko- Suprisingly Yoshiki attended the US premiere, I was shocked when I saw him on Entertainment tonight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks