What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official new iPad (3rd Generation) Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dropped by a local Apple Store and there were some in stock, but I stayed strong and resisted - I am saving up for either the new, thinner MBPs or an iMac during the next refresh. Did play with the display models though, and the screen is amazing - the quality of an iPhone 4S screen but on 9.7" diagonal screen size. The experience overall was snappy and the sample photos they had on there were flat out amazing. Very close to buying one, but I just have to believe that Apple is going to raise the game with their displays for their Macs moving forward so that they will come close to the retina display that the iPads and iPhones have.
Clearly the best way to get one if you didn't preorder and don't want to wait is to go to your local Apple store.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would've gone thru the online store and gotten a slight corporate discount (like ~2% for the iPad and ~10-15% for accessories?), if we didn't have a trip coming up soon. Didn't want to risk waiting for their currently listed 2-3 weeks availability timeframe at this point -- and couldn't commit on the preorder early enough.

And they're not allowing online order for in-store pickup w/ the iPad -- at least not the new one -- so couldn't do that to try to use the corporate discount either.

BTW, I forgot to ask them how long it'd take to get the free engraving done since I wanted to bring it home for my wife right away. Anyone know if we can still bring it back w/in the next week or two to get that done for free? Should've asked when I was buying it, but didn't think of it until I was already 1/2 way home.

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Man for getting the new iPad!
Last year I had gotten the component video cable for an iPod to connect to the TV. Works great on the iPad too.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone getting horrible feedback from nearby speakers whenever lte kicks in from sleep, similar to what EDGE does?
Mine kept buzzing my speakers all night. This could be a dealbreaker...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I keep thinking how one of these would make web surfing more convenient from the couch or bed due to it's light form factor; however, I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to get one of these. On one hand, the Ipad still seems like the easiest to use and best looking tablet on the market. On the other hand, I don't like Apple's proprietary bullshit that ties you to Apple Corp's apron strings. I also find it hard to get past the fact that I think Apple's products are vastly overpriced. It's not surprising that they have close ties with Disney. They both follow the "gouge your consumer base for all they're worth" business model.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Edwin,

Since the day I switched to Apple (some 5 years ago) I have
had people tell me that I drank the Kool-Aid.

Well you know what? So have millions of others.

Yes, we all know Apple electronics are grossly overpriced.
I believe it takes HP to make the same profit off the sales
of three computers as it does Apple on just one.

On the other hand, Kool-aid or not, I am convinced that
nobody makes products that are as innovative, stylish,
fun-to-use, and brimming with quality than Apple.

There is a reason why they charge a premium. When
you buy an Apple product, you are getting something
above and beyond what other companies are selling for less.

I kid you not -- I would not take a Windows computer or
device if it were given to me for free. Don't want it.

People don't particularly mind getting gouged if they think
they are getting their money's worth. I know that sounds
like an odd thing to say, but I never questioned nor complained
about the price I am paying for Apple products or the years
of quality enjoyment I get out of their devices.

Perhaps I'm preaching a little too loudly here, but it
seems that there's a very big choir out there that agrees
with me. For if they didn't, I don't think Apple would be
the most successful company in the world.

I would recommend getting the iPad. I don't think you
would be as happy paying for anything less expensive
from another company.

...plus, if you don't like it, you have 14 days to return it.

So why not see for yourself if it's the right gadget for you.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron very well said.
I love iPad.
It has probably added at least two years of extra time to the MacBook we have had for nearly six years now.
That thing is practically falling apart but still works better than any laptop I ever had and lasted longer that any laptop I ever had.
Sitting here on my chair using th iPad for web surfing and email is so much easier this way then even the small 13" MacBook.
One thing I want to add is that...
It just works.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you look at my W2, you'll see that I don't have the disposable income to be throwing money away. But like Ron, I made a switch to Apple in 2006 after years of building my own PCs and owning Windows-based laptops.
Yes Apple has a healthy profit margin, and they keep a large percentage of it. But they also put a lot into R&D, product development, and quality control.
I've seen what a "race to the bottom" to provide the cheapest alternative to consumers results in: Acer, HP, Compaq, Dell, eMachines. Used them all in work and home. And like Ron, I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me free. The price of maintaining one of those machines (especially "affordable" laptops) is not worth the headache.
I haven't bought an iPad yet, probably won't for another generation or two. But even when I play around with other tablets, none of the non-Apple ones I've tried comes close to the experience of the iPad. It's not even close. And that's because Apple focuses so much on the device, the user experience, and the supporting systems to it.
Yes it is limiting to be tied to Apple, but that's been their business model all along. Control the entire experience. That's the only way they can control the quality. We've seen what the openness of the Windows platform does: it's simultaneously a great strength and a tremendous weakness. You can do anything you want on a Windows machine. And it can fail you in a myriad ways. If you like the freedom of the Windows platform, then that's the one for you. But don't expect Apple to start changing the philosophy that has worked for their products in the last decade.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908023
Is that like the clicking that happens to small speakers when the iPhone 3G tries to connect?

Yes, identical.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
I keep thinking how one of these would make web surfing more convenient from the couch or bed due to it's light form factor; however, I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to get one of these.
I know I want an iPad. I'm pretty sure it would make my life more comfortable; my computer setup in the apartment is poor. But I don't spend $1000 on luxury items lightly, and I'd really like my housing costs dropped before buying. In the meantime, I'm stockpiling Amazon gift cards by way of credit card rewards to make the purchase feel less expensive.
Quote:
On one hand, the Ipad still seems like the easiest to use and best looking tablet on the market. On the other hand, I don't like Apple's proprietary bullshit that ties you to Apple Corp's apron strings. I also find it hard to get past the fact that I think Apple's products are vastly overpriced. It's not surprising that they have close ties with Disney. They both follow the "gouge your consumer base for all they're worth" business model.
We've all got our things. I don't shop at Walmart. I do drink Starbucks coffee. Choose your corporate enemies and allies as you will :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908051

People don't particularly mind getting gouged if they think
they are getting their money's worth. I know that sounds
like an odd thing to say, but I never questioned nor complained
about the price I am paying for Apple products or the years
of quality enjoyment I get out of their devices.
Ron, I remember your conversion to Mac and the enthusiasm that followed. That was actually one of the things that made me finally jump the Windows ship myself. An iMac, an IPod, a Macbook and now my very first iPad later, and I think Apple should pay you a commission! As far as I'm concerned, you hit the nail on the head here. I certainly realize I'm paying more for Apple products, but I absolutely do not feel like I'm being gouged. I feel, after many many years using Windows dating back to 3.0 and Dell computers, that the extra cost is worth it to me. My iMac, which is probably around 4 years old by now is the best computer I've ever owned and I'll never ever go back to Windows.

As for the iPad...I opened my first ever iPad yesterday and enjoyed it for as long as I was able to use it before my wife scooped it up. I haven't put my hands on it since. The funny thing is that she was annoyed that I bought it, and just a few hours ago said "this thing is really great, I think you should get one".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
I keep thinking how one of these would make web surfing more convenient from the couch or bed due to it's light form factor; however, I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to get one of these.
We've all got our things. I don't shop at Walmart. I do drink Starbucks coffee. Choose your corporate enemies and allies as you will

EDIT: That's interesting. Round-trip through Tapatalk on iPhone and the formatting is destroyed.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /t/319090/official-new-ipad-3rd-generation-announcement-thread/180#post_3908049
I keep thinking how one of these would make web surfing more convenient from the couch or bed due to it's light form factor; however, I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to get one of these. On one hand, the Ipad still seems like the easiest to use and best looking tablet on the market. On the other hand, I don't like Apple's proprietary bullshit that ties you to Apple Corp's apron strings. I also find it hard to get past the fact that I think Apple's products are vastly overpriced. It's not surprising that they have close ties with Disney. They both follow the "gouge your consumer base for all they're worth" business model.
My experience with the iPad was a little like my experience when I purchased a Tivo many years ago. While I understood what the device could do and how I would be using it, it wasn't until I got it home that I realized how great it really was.

As far as getting sucked into Apple's walled garden, you are preaching to the choir. I am not fond of many of the things they do but their is a method to their madness, and ignoring the many benefits while focusing on the negatives just seems pointless.

As far as Apple products being overpriced, for the most part, that is complete crap. They sell premium products at premium prices.

In the case of the iPad, you aren't just buying a device, you are jumping into an entire ecosystem and a different way of doing things that comes with advantages, disadvantages and limitations. Based on your post, and others I have read by you, I honestly feel you won't be happy with one.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What also tends to be quite common...

It takes the purchase of just ONE Apple device....

Next thing you know, you are buying other Apple devices.

Apple has successfully integrated their OS across all their
devices. It's rather remarkable how well your iPhone, iPad,
iMac and Macbook sync so well with together. Thanks to iCloud,
which comes free with the equipment, all your most important
information is universally available across each device.

The big concern may not be just buying an iPad, but as Keith
put it well, buying into an ecosystem that forces you to buy
more Apple products.

...not that we are complaining.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw or read an interesting assessment as to why Androids are not doing as well as the Apple I-devices. Sorry, I don't recall the source.
The main point of the story was that Google or the Android developers are not designing apps in very great numbers. And the ones they have now are not optimized for the larger tablet sized screens. They are mainly focused on the mobile phone user. There seems to be little interest or incentive to make apps that are designed for a tablet. Given the lack of standardization of devices, I can see that being a problem. All the Samsung tablets I hear about are all slightly different sizes. There's that new Samsung tablet that serves as a phone and a tablet and uses the stylus. That one is sized between a phone and tablet.
Apple only makes the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, so there two screen sizes the app developers know what to design for. And the major reason for Apple's success is the standardization going here. The developers know what to design for and can optimize for.
As one of you guys already said so well, it just works! I love how I can have the same app for my iPhone and my iPad but each is designed for that device. So the larger screen has an optimized layout and makes the user interface and experience great. Of course, not all apps are designed for iPads too. So those are not always as good. But for the most part, it's a great experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks