What's new

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Review (1 Viewer)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I didn't enjoy the film's third act at all -- I would've preferred to have more time with Hoffman's character, who was one deliciously evil son of a bitch.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just screened it in DLP at the Mann Village. I found it to be the most best in the series. Acting was great, directing was good enough (though I will admit that I'm *not* a fan of either Alias or Lost). As others have said, PC Hoffman did an amazing job in the limited screen time that he had, and it was good to see the "team" concept reintroduced.

My one criticism is that the movie never slows down, never really lets you catch your breath (after Ethan gets back "into the action"). And I know for some people that is actually desirable, but not for me. It's like an overcompressed CD...if the needle is always pegged to 10 there's no real dynamic range. Kind of like reading a post in ALL CAPS. :D

Not that I wanted a slow drama, but just a few breaks in the action would have been nice.
:star::star::star:/:star::star::star::star:

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I liked the movie with the exception of the last 15 minutes or so, I jut thought the whole visiting IMF and hanging out with the team was really out of place and I of course was waiting for him to receive a phone call in reference to a new mission. I always loved that about the series. On a side note it seemed the Tom was wearing the exact same outfit that he was wearing in War of the Worlds (brown leather jacket, black t-shirt and blue jeans).

*** out of ****

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Took in my second viewing yesterday evening. Liked it more the 2nd time. I usually do.

I kept thinking during the film that in some ways, the MI series and the Bourne series have taken the place of James Bond. Certainly, Ethan Hunt's character is more in the vein of Bond with the cool gadgetry etc...and Bourne just uses his wit and grit. It's those things that make it work.

Cruise remains effective in this role and I especially like the team aspect this time around. Music was also good.

I've bumped up my score from 8.5 to
9/10

:)

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
This was a blast to watch. This movie transcends the need for good acting and a crafty well thought out story. It instead fills the screen with wicked heart pumping flybys, unrelenting ear piercing flesh-seeking bullets, non-lubricated nasal implanted brain bombs an exotic car, a tricky pulley stunt and a pear tree.

Tom Cruise may have reached the Thirteenth floor but I don’t care. He is Ethan Hunt in my book and the less non-action scenes the better. His early moments with his girlfriend at the party were tough to digest along with his plea for her to trust him. A few more gunshots would’ve done wonders for those scenes.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was in this I think. It’s those damn masks; I can’t tell who anyone is anymore.

Ving Rhames returns as Luther but the chemistry doesn’t. Luther and Ethan work together but that’s about it. Normally this would piss me off but after an explosion or two, it doesn’t.

This movie excels on a big screen with the volume cranked.

A

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's quite a "DEMO" movie for HD-DVD/BR or SD-DVD if it ever comes out for us HT enthusiasts.

other than that... it's still not mi1. why? well, the reason why people aren't seeing enough of ving rhames, hoffman, maggie g, etc. is because cruise is taking up waaay 2much screen time. does he REALLY HAVE to be every min. of the film? i'd love to see hoffman ham it up some more =). i'd love to see more maggie g spice it up, ving "rhame" it up a notch. we don't get any of those things. even the chemistry between cruise+rhames was WORSE than mi2 and obviously lower than mi1. it's just cold, distant, aloof. wtf? overall, everyone except michelle and hoffman was flat. even the usually good fishburne was flat.

and as someone who's seen every single ep of alias and lost (so far), i got tired of hearing the michael g. score. is the man a one-note wonder? why does alias sound like lost and lost sound like alias and both shows sound like the film and vice versa? for example, towards the end, when "drama" shows up, we get the obligatory michael g's piano tribute. can he come up with ANYTHING OTHER THAN the piano themes?

i just think it's tired, overtread, overwrought, overwrung, over-everything.

having said that, i liked the sonic boom of the jet on the highway and tom hitting the car... maybe it's just physical violence upon tom... ok, but it's not really tom bashing that everyone wants to do. it's just that i expect a lot more out of him. JJ has ALREADY done this film in every single ep of alias. why not do something NEW? i mean this film is like alias... but take out the cast and plug in the film cast. wtf?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I watched this last night and this is one film that I will surely enjoy much more upon the second viewing simply because of the way the film begins.

I had a big problem with seeing his wife executed right in front of him from the start and then going back to when they were together and happy. By opening the movie the way they did it caused every scene Cruise and Monaghan shared to be infused with a very disturbing undercurrent that, IMO, made the majority of the film very unpleasant to watch, as if the filmmakers were playing a very cruel prank on the viewer and manipulating my emotions in a very negative way. Of course, this all went out the window when it was revealed that it was not his wife who was killed afterall.

I also did see the parallels between this film and True Lies, this did detract a little from my enjoyment but I managed to sweep them under the rug enough and the film was a very solid action film. The smaltzy direction they took the Ethan Hunt character doesn't really sit well with me, either, I liked him better when he was alone and not in a relationship.

Philip Seymore Hoffman while a decent heavy wasn't given enough to do and so he felt as if he only existed to threaten and give Hunt someone to beat up. Hoffman was wasted here IMO, he could have, no SHOULD have been a GREAT villain but as it stands was only an adequate one.

Good flick, though and a solid sequel.

3 :star::star::star:'s out of :star::star::star::star:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I also just saw this for the first time on HD DVD last night.

I really, really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a very well done, exciting and fun action/spy-thriller flick. Right now, I'd say I put it way above the other two. But I haven't seen them in a while and need to rewatch them (I will too, thanks to the HD DVD box set). I have a feeling that the first film will wind up being closer to my level of enjoyment with this one (but that "explosion off the helicopter" at the end kinda hurts that one for me a bit). Actually, the way I feel about it right now is that THIS is the movie to pop in when I'm in the mood for a great spy/action flick. I liked it so much I'd put it at the top of that list (for now).

I wish I saw it in the theaters this summer, but at least the presentation on HD DVD was excellent. I think it is too bad if this film's box office suffered because of the oddball antics of Mr. Cruise. Personally, I think he is kind of a nutbird, but I still typically enjoy his films (no problem separating the man from the movie).

I was a fan of ALIAS, and I liked that this spy flick was done in the same "style" as that show. Going with JJ Abrams was a great decision by Cruise/Wagner. I'd love to see another M:I done by the same folks (Abrams, etc...) using the same agents, but I know that's not likely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks