What's new

*** Official Mario Sunshine (Gamecube) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Paul,

Last year around the time of the Cube's US launch yes, I got an imported machine. Made no sense for me to even think about waiting for the UK release of the machine (the console and its games made for too big a deal for me to even have such thoughts).

It was easier to source a Japanese console modified to run US games and english set up menus at the push of a button than it was to source US only models at that time last year, so that's exactly what I ended up with. Best of both worlds if I want to import any Japanese titles, though I really only intend to stick to US ones.

how do you get the rocket nozzle powerup?
It's not entirely relevant to how many shines you have, more how you decide to go around tackling each zone and the shines within. I think the second or third shine down in the shipping dock zone calls for its use. Thats where I found it. Since then, it's been available to me in all other zones.

Dan

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"neat little trick i read in a faq, if you havent heard it, when you run and hit B to slide, if you spray forward and then slide while running, you will haul ass!!! it helps when you are trying to get the coins that make you go from point a to b in a short period of time. "

that is not a neat trick. i have been using it since the dawn of mario64.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
How did you provoke a water slide with no water at your disposal any time even out of water? You can slide fast on ground, gently hold r to spray and then press b to tackle slide and just breeze on through.. 14 Shines.. VMA's

-Bert

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Has anyone played this on a widescreen rptv? I'm thinking about picking it up since I'm a huge Mario fan and haven't bought any games in awhile. Just wonder if it'd be a good game to play on my new tv.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Has anyone played this on a widescreen rptv?
I've been playing the game exclussively on my Toshiba 16:9 set. However, the game does not feature a 16:9 mode, so I just play it on Normal (i.e. with the grey bars on the sides). Too bad, because it would certainly look wonderful in widescreen.
However, if you grab some component cables for the Gamecube and run the game in progressive scan, the visuals you do see will be pretty indeed.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Like Jeffrey, I've been playing this on a Toshiba 16:9. I ususally play video games in FULL mode, but I like SMS better in Theaterwide 1. The Full mode just makes Mario look a little too fat as it made Jill's ass in RE a little too big for my taste. :D
Video Games are the only think I will MAR ;) .

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
My Sony Wega stretches stuff rather well, but then, it's only a 32" 16:9 so it's never going to look too drastic, in fact games usualy look fine for me with Mario being no exception.
Up to 15 shines now, and have recently come across our little dinosaur friend. :)
Dan

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Man, I consider myself a Mario veteran but this Ricco Harbor level is killing me.
I think its episode 3, the caged shine. I am having a hell of time with the level. I worked on it for like an hour last night and then quit to play Socom before I smashed my my head through a wall.:D
I'll have to give it another whirl tonight. I have to admit though, I'm liking the challenge.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
yea, the caged shine. i hate that one. but! wait until you have to collect 8 red coins on the blooper. you are going to eat your controller.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have been playing this on my Panny 47wx49 in Just mode. Play all my games in that, except the 16:9 stuff, like XBOX.
The game is gorgeous and Yoshi kicks serious ass people! I love the toybox stages, they add a good sense of fear into you because you dont have the rocket pack, and if you miss a jump you are toast. The one on the ruins level is amazing. I fell off on the last spinning cylinder and died...while I was three steps from the shine!!

35 shines and counting!

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I was having trouble on the rotating cubes in the toy box levels (Secrets Of The Dirty Lake) until I realized you could just walk over the corner and not have to jump.

Where is Yoshi? How do I get him?

jeremy

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
romier

i didnt know that i could choose a slower blooper. i chose the fastest blooper all the time yesterday that it was really frustrating! grrr

25 shines! woohoo

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Jeremy, the Dirty Lake level? You mean the result of entering the blackness in the Tower in the Harbor uuurea? If so, I was about to take my Gamecube out and anally violate it. That pissed me off so much, and also get somewhat less mad for the moving segg quares and shite whwn you get the orange yoshi at the amusement park.
Felix- Mesa have 25 Shines too, I intended on turning it off after about 3 hours once I hit 25. Luckily I gave the guy in Delfino a coin and he fired me into a tower room with a shine..=25 :)
-Bert

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
There is nothing risky about grabbing a game cameron. the whole store knows if is able to be sold when you get to the counter if it isnt the computer wont let them sell it. I work at C.C. by the way I love this game but thew camera takes some getting used to. and yes i would of done the same thing if they had not put it out yet.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up the main reason I bought a GC yesterday and, after a bit of a scare thinking it was going to be about spraying water on walls everywhere (Jet Set Mario), I am at 39 Shine Sprites and really liking the game.

Yes, it's a bit like Mario 64, and yes, the camera can get a bit annoying (although I don't find it nearly as bad as most of you) but it's also gorgeous and the hover nozzle is almost enough of a gameplay addition in itself.

The only thing I really miss is the Long Jump from M64.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I finally picked up Mario yesterday and I am having an absolute blast with it. The game is gorgeous and the water looks better than Wave Race. I don't seem to be having any camera problems yet, but I only have 8 shine so far. I love the water pack and the hover nozzle is a brilliant addition to the Mario franchise. Mario is one of the main reasons I got a Cube. :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh yeah, Rico Harbor is a mother-f**ker. ;)
-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks