What's new

*** Official Mario Sunshine (Gamecube) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
MOm should be home any minute and I am so psyched. I have not been so psyched like this since MK4. Plus it is rainy and dirty outside, and my friend hydroplaned as we left from eating free food at Baha Fresh (180 degress as turning left, looked up facing oncoming traffic..). Man I got this gaaabage pre calc work before I can devote whole night playing this. Also, I went to Best Buy (besides the mall because other friend had to pick up Resevoir Dogs) and watched the video of Metroid. Holy cripes man..

-Bert

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Just got this baby! SO PSYCHED. Popping in now.

Edit: I am loving this game so damn much! I just have a few questions. Why is it when you straight forward spray, it just stops after a bit, is Mario not supplying enough air pressure or something? Also, when I go into new worlds, there are more inhabitants of the island. Is that how every resident gets to an area, a portal with an M shape????

Also, did I miss anything in the beginning like skip an FMV or something because
once old Toad told me to check across area, I immediately got into FLUDD FMV, happened in correct order?

-Bert

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Up to 40 shines...Time to call it a night...I'm finally getting used to the control, only took be 40 shines to do it...

Oh and:

I GOT YOSHI! He's so cool, especially when he's spitting...too funny"

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
YOSHI ROCKS! Havent gotten him yet...only have 29 shines so far. Trying to do the bloop surfing...cant pass that damn thing!

Cannot wait to find Yoshi...my little green bad ass!
Any game featuring him I always use him. The sight of the little dinosaur strikes fear into great many of my friends who dare play Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party, or Super Smash Bros. Most common thing said during those matches are"I hate that little green F***er! Kill the little green dino! AHHHH"

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Up to 12 shines right now. Screw any review this game is just plain out fun! Unfortunately my Mario fix was interrupted tonight by a long healthy dose of Socom online but fear not, I will be back on the tropical islands as soon as I get home from work tommorrow! (There needs to be more hours in the day!)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, I got it this morning and immediately took to putting in 1hr 45mins of play. I LOVE this game, it really is just fun, fun, fun, and some of the things Mario can do are nothing short of genius. The water pack surprised me in the amount of ways to use it. I love swinging of tightrope beams and firing water that way... VERY cute. I've not really felt any major issues with the camera either, though can easily see how its frustrating to some.

5 shines and 7 blue coins so far.

Dan

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I started my session this evening with 28 Shines. After roughly 3 full hours of playing I've only managed to get 7 more for a total of 35. Believe those who say that this game gets very difficult on the later levels.

Despite having earned some very difficult Shines and opening up a new level, the most wonderful accomplishment came when I came across an old friend who usually hangs out in these little green eggs. Yoshi!

I can't tell you all what a thrill it was to hop on his back and run around again. For those of you who haven't found him yet, just imagine what it was like riding Yoshi in Super Mario World only make it happen in three dimensions. All of his old moves are there, including a new move I will not spoil for you. Best of all...the music adds in a fast-paced drum beat when you hop on his back just like in SMW!

I mean, how cool is that?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I've got all 3 nozzles. The propeller one is really cool (its in the manual, thats why no spoiler tags). You can use it to jet across water at superspeed. I've opened up 3 more areas that are pretty cool. Anyone else get up to where you can wear sunglasses yet?

Anyone else fine the shine hidden in the sand on the beach in the main hub area? Its over by the lighthouse...just spray around in the sand until you get a hit visual and just wash it off.

There is a really cool level with an awesome looking sunset. It bathes the entire area in an orangish glow. Unfortunately I died right away, I'm not sure how I'm gonna get past a giant invisible stingray that splits each time you hit it until there are dozens of them all floating around dropping electric goop.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Up to 11 shines and progressing nicely. I got a touch nervous on two of the spinning block rooms with shines in... I'll get them eventually. :D
My latest battle was with
Mecha Bowser. I had a lot of fun on that level
Dan

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Dan, how are you playing an imported version? Do you have a U.S. machine? I can't wait 1 whole month. :frowning:

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
how do you get the rocket nozzle powerup? i got in on the beach level, but thats it. the power up box outside of the level are still hologram.

how many stars are there?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't know about anyone else, but here in NJ, the word 'shine' is slang for, well, let's say that it's not a nice thing to say to a certain minority.

Is it just this area?

When I saw that what you're supposed to collect are 'shines' I thought "Eek! Who translated this??".

Mike

ChrisV

Second Unit
No, it's not just that area. Apparently the original name of Stephen King's "The Shining" was "The Shine" or something similar and that got changed in a hurry.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
neat little trick i read in a faq, if you havent heard it, when you run and hit B to slide, if you spray forward and then slide while running, you will haul ass!!! it helps when you are trying to get the coins that make you go from point a to b in a short period of time.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
it should ask you if you want to use progressive when it turns on, at least that's what it does on my buddy's system

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Does anyone know if this game supports 480progressive and if so how do you engage it.
If you've played any games on your Cube in 480p it should ask you when it first boots up the game. If you have not played a game in 480p then you'll have to hold down the B button while booting up. HTH.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
how do you get the rocket nozzle powerup?
After a certain number of shines it will appear. The rocket, yoshi, and the propeller one both showed up when I got 29, but it may have been sooner because i was jumping in and out getting shines in the same area really quickly so I never noticed that I could get it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Regarding Yoshi, wow! when you use Yoshi, the water meter is replaced with a stomach meter, and you spray 'fruit juice' all over the place. I could swear that Yoshi's color changes (as well as the color of the juice) if you eat enough of a certain fruit).

I was also relieved to see a kind of slide level, where you race down ramped colored blocks up in the clouds toward a shine.

Did anyone else think the Sand Bird is a very surreal creation? A giant phoenix, made of giant blocks of sifting sand, flying in the clouds. I love the music in the sky levels, very pretty.

There is a lot going on in this game. I am totally immersed. Despite the oft-maligned sameness of the level design, there is a heck of a lot to do!

21 Shines and counting!

Joseph

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I almost have 10 shines, woke up early this morning to go to the island where the reflectors are and the sand csatle popping in and out, stuck here. Wasn't thinking clearly but I searched everywhere. Also, how do the inhabitants of the main island get out to these island branchings?

-Bert

SO FUN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks