What's new

Official iPhone 4 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand the notifications system. They often don't appear until after I manually check an app to see if there are updates. That seems to defeat the purpose.

For example: the AppStore icon shows no updates badge. I run it and then it checks and finds updates and updates the app. But if I have to run it to see if there are updates, what's the purpose of the badging: it's not notifying me of anything I didn't already figure out the "hard" way.

I'm a bit flummoxed by this. Is this how it's supposed to work, or is my phone not behaving quite normally?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wonder the same, Dave.

It seems random to me. Sometimes I see a a badge showing updates needed. Other times not until I open the app store.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I wonder if apple just sends out 1 or 2 pushes a day for apps instead of sending out notifications whenever an app ha an update

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Ok due to mistakes by Apple, I did not get the free case I wanted to get but instead got the Apple bumper. For something free it's tolerable but do not ever pay $30 for this thing. It fits ok, but does tend to move around a bit, and as others have stated on the web, not all adapters will fit when the case is on, including apples own chargers.

Now I need to find out how to contact them to fix my warranty period as the dates are wrong on my refurbed phones, and the online tool to update has not worked for the last 5 days I have tried.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe they are doing something rather un-Apple-like and digging into the past and adhering to Henry Ford's old saw that "the customer can have a car in ANY color...as long as it's black."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

A friend just switched from AT&T to Verizon because he wasn't happy with the service, dropped call, blah, blah, blah. And he got a Droid X. I've always had Apple Products and he always opposed me with other products!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Voice Nav is a free feature, but maps still use data to download (unless Verizon doesn't count map data...which I doubt). And if you're out of 3G data service, good luck with that free nav. I'm ok spending $50 to buy a GPS app that doesn't require data service to operate.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is anybody here having trouble with their proximity sensor? I was hoping 4.2.1 would fix my issues, but it doesn't look like it did. I often need to hold the phone against my shoulder with my cheek and I end up activating Facetime, the speakerphone, the keypad, etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I suggest contacting Apple support. That was supposed to have been fixed in a previous update. You might also take careful note of how you're holding the iPhone. If by chance you're jostling it as it's held, that might exacerbate the behavior. Also, a Bluetooth earpiece would avoid this issue completely. and it's a lot more comfortable than holding the skinny iPhone between ear and shoulder.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nelson,
If you want to boast of iPhone 4 superiority over Android phones -- apps, apps, apps -- there are tons of amazing looking exclusive games on the iPhone that don't exist and likely won't ever exist on Android. Something like Rage HD:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rage-hd/id400707675?mt=8

Here is an article explaining why Android has no killer apps:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/where_are_the_android_killer_apps

For game reviews:

http://toucharcade.com/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for your input on the Nav app and other apps to impress friends with!

Dave, there's a paid app that works with no data over 3g? Can you tell us what that is? I imagine that works by loading in a lot of maps onto the iPhone memory.

Apps, apps, apps! I agree that's one of the ways that makes these mobile devices more useful! I had not see Rage. In looking at that link, it looks like Doom and Marathon from the earlier Mac games days! I think Spectre is out too, I remember playing that as well! I'll have a look at that article about the lack of killer apps for the Android! Thanks! And I'll have a look at Rage!

Regarding the proximity sensor, when I updated the OS, my proximity sensor problem went away. I would never try to hold my iPhone against my ear with my shoulder, I never felt comfortable I could do that and not drop the phone. Even from holding the phone against my ear, I did get activate the speaker phone or hit keys on the keypad. Once I got the update, that seems to have gone away. But what I like to do on calls that might be longer then a few minutes is to use the Apple included ear buds. They sound better then BT headsets and it's free! I do have a couple of BT headsets, but I don't use them much. The ear buds work great! Plus I don't like to have a device like a cell phone radiating that much energy so close to my body and brain! That's my preference, nothing wrong with a BT headset, it is wireless!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Nelson, there are a number of apps that allow for off network GPS use. They include maps for the entire country and weigh in at over 1GB each. The two most popular are TomTom and Navigon. There is also Co-Pilot Live which has a cheaper entry price, but I tried it and found both the maps and interface lacking. As a previous owner of a standalone TomTom GPS unit, I eventually decided to go with their iPhone app and have not been disappointed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
One thing that is a gripe, that if someone can tell me how to fix this for my wife we'd be grateful.

On my blackberry, I can take a photo, click the pad and it brings up "send to facebook". Which is easy. We can't figure out how to do anything like this on the iPhone.. it seems as though we have to go into the Facebook app, choose upload photos, then chose the photo, then upload.

Is there a way to make this much quicker, similar to her experience on BB?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by mattCR

One thing that is a gripe, that if someone can tell me how to fix this for my wife we'd be grateful.

On my blackberry, I can take a photo, click the pad and it brings up "send to facebook". Which is easy. We can't figure out how to do anything like this on the iPhone.. it seems as though we have to go into the Facebook app, choose upload photos, then chose the photo, then upload.

not really unless you add an app that performs this.

I use iLoader. it's $2 or a lite, free version.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael, I'll look those apps up. There's also a part of me that feels that its sometimes better to have a dedicated device that only does navigation. These things are getting cheaper all the time! If I drove more for my job, I might consider one. But the iPhone apps are pretty neat for the occasional use.

I have not heard of the Navigon one, but I have seen a review of the TomTom. I'll look into that one a little closer since you are having a good experience with it.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I used to be with you regarding a dedicated device, but ultimately the convenience of only having to carry around only one device, one power cord, etc outweighed the benefits of having a dedicated device. Plus the integration with the iPhone's contact list is great. You may not be ready to buy now, but if you are, the TomTom app is on sale this weekend.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR 

On my blackberry, I can take a photo, click the pad and it brings up "send to facebook".   Which is easy.   We can't figure out how to do anything like this on the iPhone.. it seems as though we have to go into the Facebook app, choose upload photos, then chose the photo, then upload.

If Facebook is the specific goal, take the picture from the Facebook app. It's the phot button on the top of the news lusting page, next to status and check-in.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Michael, I agree with the convenience of having one device. And thanks, I see that the app store is having a Cyber Monday sale. I had not thought about the additional cables a nav unit would need. What happens if you get a call? I guess it goes into multi tasking mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks