What's new

First look at the iPhone 15 Pro (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One interesting aspect I read in the Digital Trends article is that while the new iPhone will be switching from lightning to USB-C (which I think is long overdue), you probably won't be able to use USB-C cables you have lying around.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One interesting aspect I read in the Digital Trends article is that while the new iPhone will be switching from lightning to USB-C (which I think is long overdue), you probably won't be able to use USB-C cables you have lying around.
That would suck big time. I’ve got loads of USB-C cables and chargers. If Apple is basically coming at us with a new 30-pin, proprietary connector that requires new chargers and new cables, it will land like a lead balloon. They’ll have not only the normies shouting about a connector change from Lightning, but all the technophiles will be up in arms that none of their gear works either.

So, no, I don’t believe Apple will do that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The big breakthrough feature will be the new battery that lasts longer than 12 hours
That's more a design choice not to put more battery in the iPhone at the expense of being a big thicker and heavier. Apple can make a bigger battery, they just choose not to.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't think that would fly with the EU ruling that is forcing them to adopt USB-C in the first place. Also with people who already have USB-C cables that work perfectly fine for iPads or Macs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wonder how they will differentiate the Pro from the Ultra?

It seems, from the time I posted that original article, the rumors have shifted away from the ULTRA model. Not even certain there will be one this year. A few months ago reports started surfacing that Apple was having an issue with the solid state buttons and that they would not be using them.

The only consistent rumor I have been hearing is the new telescopic camera system for the 15.

The newest rumors suggest that the iPhone 16 will be the model with the biggest changes, most notably, being offered in a larger size than the current flagship Pro model.

Of course, these are all just rumors until the Apple unveiling and they still manage to pull a surprise out of their hat that hasn't been leaked. Last year it was the Dynamic Island feature.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The only consistent rumor I have been hearing is the new telescopic camera system for the 15.

The newest rumors suggest that the iPhone 16 will be the model with the biggest changes, most notably, being offered in a larger size than the current flagship Pro model.
Latest rumors are telescopic camera are for 15 PM only and reach the whole line next year in the 16.

The iPhone 15 isn’t even out, and we already have various iPhone 16 rumors. The latest leak comes from well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who usually provides accurate details about Apple’s unreleased devices. According to him, the iPhone 16 Pro will get a periscope zoom camera, a feature exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro Max this year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has been kind of funny to read the known specs about the iPhone 15 that is to be announced in less than 4 weeks only to have rumors indicate that this phone won't be a huge upgrade and that it's actually the iPhone 16 that we should be exited about.

And, yes, for the moment based on what we know, iPhone 15 doesn't appear as it it's going to be a substantial upgrade other than an "action button" and improved camera capability.

Meanwhile on the Samsung front...

I can't help but be in awe of what Samsung has accomplished with its foldable. Once again, they have beaten Apple to the punch. Sure, Apple has been testing foldables for some years now, but I suppose as Apple always claims, they won't put it out until they are confident it's better than the competition.

I have switched from iPhone to Samsung more than once over the past 17 years. I have waaay more fun with Samsung phones due to customizing and rooting options. However, I always come back to the iPhone because one, the Samsung phones are always buggy or the hardware breaks, and two, I find that I enjoy the Apple ecosystem better. I mean, since getting the Apple Watch, I pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as ever going back to Samsung.

But that folding phone is very impressive and I tend to think that Apple will take the foldable to a level that exceeds what Samsung has done. However, unless there is a huge surprise in store, I think we are still two years away from its debut.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Guess I'll probably wait another year and hold out for the 16 to upgrade from my 13 Pro, if even then. My phone still serves me perfectly fine as is... even though I'm actually even still on iOS 15.4.1, LOL -- don't fix what ain't broke, and IMHO, there's really nothing particularly compelling on the newer phones (nor iOS updates) over last couple years.

And forget pretty much any Android phones other than maybe Google's own line me thinks. While they may often one-up Apple on new features and/or customizations, they do tend to be too flakey or quirky, too battery-draining and too over-bloated w/ those things in ways that become more cumbersome than truly useful or user-friendly in the long run for everyday use... Cool for geeky tweaking (or short term flashy bling) that tend to be more novel (w/ few exceptions) than truly lifestyle-improving...

_Man_

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It has been kind of funny to read the known specs about the iPhone 15 that is to be announced in less than 4 weeks only to have rumors indicate that this phone won't be a huge upgrade and that it's actually the iPhone 16 that we should be exited about.

And, yes, for the moment based on what we know, iPhone 15 doesn't appear as it it's going to be a substantial upgrade other than an "action button" and improved camera capability.

Meanwhile on the Samsung front...

I can't help but be in awe of what Samsung has accomplished with its foldable. Once again, they have beaten Apple to the punch. Sure, Apple has been testing foldables for some years now, but I suppose as Apple always claims, they won't put it out until they are confident it's better than the competition.

I have switched from iPhone to Samsung more than once over the past 17 years. I have waaay more fun with Samsung phones due to customizing and rooting options. However, I always come back to the iPhone because one, the Samsung phones are always buggy or the hardware breaks, and two, I find that I enjoy the Apple ecosystem better. I mean, since getting the Apple Watch, I pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as ever going back to Samsung.

But that folding phone is very impressive and I tend to think that Apple will take the foldable to a level that exceeds what Samsung has done. However, unless there is a huge surprise in store, I think we are still two years away from its debut.

His review is: I like this phone because it makes it harder for me to use this phone.

I totally don’t understand that perspective. Which I guess is why I don’t see the benefit of these flip phones. Technically cool. But as a functional device…?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Guess I'll probably wait another year and hold out for the 16 to upgrade from my 13 Pro, if even then. My phone still serves me perfectly fine as is... even though I'm actually even still on iOS 15.4.1, LOL -- don't fix what ain't broke, and IMHO, there's really nothing particularly compelling on the newer phones (nor iOS updates) over last couple years.

And forget pretty much any Android phones other than maybe Google's own line me thinks. While they may often one-up Apple on new features and/or customizations, they do tend to be too flakey or quirky, too battery-draining and too over-bloated w/ those things in ways that become more cumbersome than truly useful or user-friendly in the long run for everyday use... Cool for geeky tweaking (or short term flashy bling) that tend to be more novel (w/ few exceptions) than truly lifestyle-improving...

_Man_
I want to upgrade my 13PM this year, but prudence says I should wait another year. So I’m trying to wait for the 16X.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've had 2 groups of family friends get in arguments because their kids refuse to use Android phones any more. The peer pressure is real. The bubble color is one thing, not being able to share videos is the real killer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've had 2 groups of family friends get in arguments because their kids refuse to use Android phones any more. The peer pressure is real. The bubble color is one thing, not being able to share videos is the real killer.
Live Photos is a stealth killer feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks