What's new

*** Official "HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film mines the dating game and its inherent mind games for all its worth, producing a very funny 1st 2 acts that showcases some good comedic timing and wit by both Hudson and McConaghey. While the 3rd act is predictable, but it builds up an undeniable, irresistable, but yet satisfying conclusion.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
5.5 out of 10

Well star power is certainly worth something, and the McConaughey/Hudson team have it in spades. They take all their dialog, good and bad, and make it pretty watchable. I also think its another great effort by Adam Goldberg (Beautiful Mind, Dazed and Confused, SPR) who has many of the funniest lines.

But despite a very solid premise and solid star power, the script is mostly mediocre. Not horrible, just nothing special and pretty paint by numbers. There are few really gripping, captivating or thrilling moments that will last with you for more than a week. It's matinee filler material or a fun rental, and that's all.

For early Feb that's fine, but part of me hated to see such a solid premise and good star power wasted on a sleepwalking production effort. This could have been a better film had somebody only tried to do more with it.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I must be a simpleton, but I really enjoyed this movie. I went into it expecting to be amused, and I liked it more then I expected. I just read some reviews online and was surprised to see it getting only so/so reviews. The theater I saw it in was packed, and they entire place was laughing out loud. It was tough to hear all of the jokes because of this.

The movie was very predictable, but of course, I predicted that it would be. Ignoring that, I enjoyed it and look forward to it on DVD.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
The first 10 minutes or so had no appeal to me. I was actually wondering if I was in the right movie... for a romantic comedy, there were no laughs whatsoever, just character establishment and we weren't really getting to know anybody except the two leads. It was around the time that Andie was picking up Benajmin that the film got hilarious and the whole rest of the movie, it did not seem to let up at all, except for a few dramatic moments.

I thought it was interesting (and unexpected) during the Bullshit scene when Benjamin's mother mentioned that Andie was the first girl that Benjamin had ever brought home
. It just goes to show you... appearances can be deceiving; a good-looking guy does not necessarily have strong relationships.

Loved the images of New York City... as beautiful as ever, especially during the motorcycle ride to Benjamin's parents' house.

My only major beef with the film (aside from a slow, unfunny first 10 minutes) is mostly the party scene. Why exactly wasMarvin Hamlish
there? That was embarassing to watch... the drunken fight
. At least the man could have played one of his tunes.

But, I liked the music. :)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Well, I just finished watching the DVD and I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a romantic comedy this much (Notting Hill perhaps?). It puts to shame all of the latest Sandra Bullock fare (although I enjoyed those too mildly).

The only part that I felt didn't "truly work" was the duet scene towards the end. That just seemed forced.

Otherwise, I thought it was a great movie with spectacular NYC cinematography.

Arman

Screenwriter
"Ah, no, no, no, no ..." How To Lose a Guy In Ten Days D+ is one of the most predictably dumb, annoying and excruciating chick flick (old or new) that I've seen this year.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I got sucked into watching this movie over the weekend and have to agree with Arman.This was your typical cookie cutter chick flick like a zillion other ones.Looks like seeing Gigli is out of the question too.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
One of my fav fun movie of 2003. I liked the first 2 acts, but the third act is pretty as you said, predictable, generic, unoriginal. We've seen a million times.

Still i loved it.. until i saw My Sassy Girl ;) That movie makes you laugh in the first 30 seconds.. and laugh til the last 30 seconds. But you will cry in the middle.

That movie beats all romatic comedy movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks