What's new

*** Official Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) Review & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Even my wife... who thinks the concept of GTA is awful... is interested in the game due to the sound track. hehehe.

Glen

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Isn't anyone concerned about the sound quality of the music? In order to cram the game and a zillion songs on one disc, they must've compressed the hell out of them. I think Amped had less music and even those suffered in sound quality.

-Dave

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm not really worried. I've used MP3 compression on almost all of my CD's and have gotten 7 to 8 albums onto a single CD. That was at 128 bit, and I haven't ever noticed poor sound quality.

That would only be about 6-700 meg of 4.7 GB. They could use 192 and I think it would still easily fit on one DVD.

Glen

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've not followed the press on this game...will/have there been any reviews so far? In the past, I've seen reviews of big games well in advance. I haven't been able to find any yet, despite its arrival next week.

Thanks!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Remember that the actual game data for the first GTA3 was only about 500MB. Even if Vice City takes up three times that amount that still leaves plenty of room for music. They probably won't even have to use MP3 (few games do, because of the licensing fees involved). It's the PC version I'm worried about, since virtually no PC games ship on DVD-ROM.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
The PC version of GTA 3 shipped with MP3's for the radio stations. It was one huge MP3 track, something like 70+ meg for each one.

I took a look after I installed it.

Just to let you know.

Glen

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
But they do ship with multiple CDs. It won't be a problem.
But it's important (to me, at least) that the entire soundtrack fit on one CD so that you can choose between all stations at any given time, not just half of them or a third of them or whatever. The first GTA3 for the PC used 500-600 MB for the soundtrack and it was only three hours' worth of music, compared to nine hours for VC. Could they fit all that on a disc with MP3? I'm sure they could, but if they have to do it at 80kbps I'm not sure I want them to. I frankly have no idea how much MP3 music you can store on a CD at what bitrates (I've found some webpages to this effect but a lot of them contradict each other). Maybe they could do it, but since I've heard nothing about a PC version (other than assurances that it will come eventually) all I can really do at this point is fret and wail about it ;)

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Why wouldn't they be able to have it available at all times from the hard drive? Somehow I doubt they would stop the action to make you switch CDs.

MatS

Screenwriter
over 10 pgs of questions about this game answered at IGN and you don't need to be a subscriber to view :emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed
edit: my bad 2 pgs answered of 10 pgs posted but pretty good questions thus far

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I think it'll be a pretty good voice cast...well, an interesting one at least. "D" is a definite..."R" is a rumor.

-Ray Liotta (D)
-Dennis Hopper (D)
-Burt Reynolds (D)
-Jenna Jameson (D)
-Lawrence Taylor (D)
-Luis Guzman (D)
-Philip Michael Thomas (R)
-Gary Busey (D)
-David Paymer (D)
-Danny Trejo (D)
-Youree Dell Harris (D) (Yep, Miss Cleo's got a new gig)

They still have more to reveal.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Mr. Joshua, most excellent!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
EBGames updated their shipping schedule. Those of us who already have a preorder on file with one day air shipping will recieve the game on the 29th. they also posted a schedule for those who selected other forms of shipping.They're still taking preorders so act now if you're interested.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
1: How was it, taking a baseball bat and kicking the crap out of a parked car?
Nice physics? Did the damage occur at the place you struck, things like that.
Doug responds: There are about 15 or so parts of damage in the model, and it's good destructive fun. Broken windows, banged in parts, yeah, it's great stuff.
"You see what happens when you f*** a stranger in the a**!" :)
I can't wait till Tuesday. I really hope there are extra copies at EB (haven't been let down yet).

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Alex :D
Imagine a GTA game in the Big Lebowski universe. The possibilities are mind boggling. Taking a hooker out and then hitting up the In & Out burger before finishing off by stealing a car from the Ralph's parking lot ;)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and then bash it against an abutment. The tough part is fighting off the vagrants long enough to grab the Creedence.
This game is going to rock! Plus, it has a confirmed widescreen mode.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
That's the first I've heard of it. If so, cool! I've got my PS2 connected optically to my Onkyo 494 but the only games that used 5.1 I ended up selling. If Vice City has DTS that will be awesome!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Can't wait for this game, I actually had no idea it carried such a solid voice cast. Luis Guzman in a videogame? I am going nutty over the very thought of it. :laugh: I can't wait. Argh Nov 8th Uk date..... just a littttttle longer.
I did hear abut the DTS support yesterday. My guess is it's 4.0 like most, or all of the EA games that carried DTS.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks