What's new

*** Official "Gamecube" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Picked up my Cube yesterday, and I love it. I've put my 64 away temporarily, and have been playing Luigi, Star Wars, and Monkey Ball. Monkey Ball is a blast - even if the advertising in the game is blatant. I also love the other games. I can't wait to get more.

Has anyone played Batman or Tarzan yet? I'm tempted to pick them up.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Hmmm, to my dismay my cube has been stuck in British customs limbo since 11:54am UK time. FOUR entries for the one time too, what's that about? (latest entry at top):

11:54 A.M. EAST MIDLANDS, GB MORE CUSTOMS INFORMATION REQUIRED

11:54 A.M. EAST MIDLANDS, GB SPECIAL CUSTOMS DELAY FOR LIVE ENTRIES;FORWARDED TO DESTINATION

11:54 A.M. EAST MIDLANDS, GB MORE CUSTOMS INFORMATION REQUIRED;FORWARDED TO DESTINATION

11:54 A.M. EAST MIDLANDS, GB NOT DISPATCHED. IN-TRANSIT

:angry:

I wouldn't be frustrated if there wasn't a bit of a bump in things running smoothly. Steve's sent off my games, will have those Thursday...now what of zee cube..

Dan (UK)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Picked up my Jet Black Cube this morning with Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball. Here's what I think about the Hardware/Software.

Hardware: Small, very distinct looking, I love it. Controller is great! Fits my hand perfectly. Though, the Z button is kinda annoying to use. I guess that's what happens when you add a button at the last minute.

The only thing that really bothers me though, is the controller cord length. I thought it was going to be 9 feet like the Xbox controller's cord. It's not anywhere near as long as that...it's even shorter then the PS2's controller cord. How are other people finding the controller length? I just hope that Nintendo hurries up and release's the Wavebird!

Software:

Rogue Leader - Great game so far. Graphics are nice, and the control is just as nice. My biggest problem with Rogue Squadron on N64 was that it always felt as though you were flying at 10mph, but in Rogue Leader the sense of speed is certainly abundant. There is some slowdown that I've noticed though. Mostly it happens when you are close to something that is exploding, and when you are making sharp turns on some levels. The good thing though is that it's never severe enough to hinder gameplay.

Monkey Ball - Hmm, it's a fun little game with a pretty strange premise. I'm not usually good at these types of games right at the beginning, and this time is no different. I'll need a lot of practise. I wish I would have bought some extra controllers though, so I could play this game multiplayer...I'm sure that would be an absolute blast.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Gamecube purcahse. I wasn't really expecting to be though, and that was the reason that I had cancelled my preorder a week before launch.

Hope everyone else is having fun with their Cubes!

Andrew

Tom Blake

Auditioning
I notice the output port on the Cube the component video cable plugs into is labelled DIGITAL AV. Any chance this port will offer an optical digital out for audio in the future? Or, is the Cube stuck with analog audio only? That would be a pretty major disadvantage against PS2 and XBOX.

Tom

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Is it me, or am I the only one who got the Indigo GC?

Everyone else seems to have gotten the Jet Black one. I got Indigo because it matches the color of my Game Boy Advance rather nicely.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Mine is indigo as well. We also got a second indigo controller. I would've preferred black, but it really didn't matter, I was just happy to get the system.

We've got a indigo game boy advance, as well as an ice one (or whatever they call the one that is white).

Anyone know when the GBA controller cables are coming out?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Don-

The GBA cables don't let you use it as a regular controller, its only for special games.

I went to Wal-Mart today to see if they had any Cubes, but they didn't. If I go out and see one, I'll probably grab it, but I'm not on a journey to find one.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I got my Black Cube yesturday morning at Wal Mart :D would have posted sooner but was busy playing it. I picked up Rogue Leader and All Star BaseBall 2002 (had to get that one at Toy R Us because they were the only people that got it.) So far I love the system. The visuals on Rogue Leader are just breath taking. I mean the stage with the Nebula is awesome. All Star Baseball is pretty much a PS2 port some minor changes like anti-aliasing and you can break bats also they fixed the slow down issues the PS2 had there were a few others but can't think of them. Tony Hawk on the cube sucks as far as ports go. It is a direct port of the PS2 which is a total bummer because you can't play it in 480P and has the same PS2 slow down. Activision really dropped the ball on that one. :angry: All in all though I am very happy with the system. I will have to pick up monkey ball since it is getting great reviews here.

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Cube or a PS2. I'm really more interested in the GameCube, but PS2 does have much bigger selection of titles. I have a been a lifelong Nintendo fan though. I contend that no one can make an all-around great game as much as Nintendo. I know that the new Mario, Legend of Zelda and Metroid Cube versions will be stunning. I think that Nintendo's software makes purchasing any of their systems worthwile. Plus, GameCube should have better 3rd party support than N64 due to its disc format.

But on the other hand, I own a Playstation as well and still play it quite a bit. I enjoy PSX games very much, especially the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games.

What should I go for? Cube or PS2??

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Dammit Barry, get a Cube!
You sound like a Nintendo fan. You're going to kick yourself if you buy a PS2 and all those great Nintendo 1st party games are released. :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Barry;

It does sound like you're more interested in the Gamecube's titles than those on the Playstation 2. This should be a no-brainer for you.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Ah you ppl are the devil!

a) i just read every single one of the posts before this as the smile on my face just grew bigger and bigger. I have a midterm in 7hours but i can't stop readin this thread...luckily i'm done

b) i'm totally going to have to buy a gamecube now. dammmmmit, let's hope i can budget my christmas shopping here because i want to have money for some games too!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, customs issues seem to now be cleared (touch wood) and the last scan was at 12:19 today up in the East Midlands with the package graded as "in transit." It's 12:40 as I type this up.
No idea if "in transit" is by road or by plane to a London airport, hoping the latter and I will get it later today. If not (*sigh*) tomorrow morning then. I just want to fondle my package until the games arrive. :)
Dan (UK)
PS: The Indigo cube is my fave of all the colours!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Dan - what a tale! Reads like The Great Escape.

Patience - soon you will be blasting away at the Empire!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Lou,
'Dan & his Cube: The Eternal wait', will be published in time for chrismtas priced £11.95 from all good book stores. A videogame adaptation (gamecube exclusive, of course) and feature film will follow in due course. :D
You know what's botherhing me NOW? It says "Shipped to: LONDON, GB" Now, I am hoping that is just shipped to the main depot which is in London instead of a small fear that NCS didn't follow orders and ship to my home address out here in the country but have in fact had it shipped to my london billing address.
Dan (UK)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Just wondering how people are coping with the short controller cable for the Gamecube? My Gamecube is right beside my PS2 and Xbox but whenever I want to play it I need to pull the couch up a couple of feet. grrr. I wish Nintendo would have made a longer controller cable!

Has a 3rd party released a controller extension that actually works (ie. the controller still gets enough signal to power the rumble pak? instead of shorting out the controller like what was happening with some PS2 extension cables)

Thanks.

Andrew

WallyB

Agent
I got a clear extension cable by MadCatz at my EB, and it seems fine. My couch is too far from the TV not to use extensions. I've been pleased with it so far.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Just wondering how people are coping with the short controller cable for the Gamecube? My Gamecube is right beside my PS2 and Xbox but whenever I want to play it I need to pull the couch up a couple of feet. grrr. I wish Nintendo would have made a longer controller cable!
Wouldn't it be easier to move the GameCube? Hell, it's even got a handle!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Some odd things going on. I e-mailed NCS to ask how they marked up my package to help avoid customs. Apparently customs called the number of my billing address in london (I wasnt home), I am guessing they need me to verify the circumstances NCS gave for the shipment.

Another annoynace, that copy of Rogue Leader I paid a stupid price for DID arrive, so now I will be stuck with two copies. Anyone want to swap it for something (waverace maybe)? It's new and in it's shrink wrap.

And so it goes on...

Dan (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks