What's new

*** Official "Gamecube" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
And I thought DVDs got a lot of info crammed into a small space. I opened up Madden 2002 and was floored. I had no idea that these discs were so small. Of course, I really didn't realize that the GC was so small either. The pictures make it look about the size of the new PS1 but taller.

Anyway, now crossing my fingers that EA will do NCAA Football 2003 for GC.

Frederick

Second Unit
Andy, I picked up an extension cord by Pelican at Toy's R Us for $9.99. It works great. Adds 6' to the length of the cord, which together with the VERY SHORT cord attatched to the controller makes it to my loveseat with a little room to spare ...

Freddy C.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I've got a couple of the madcatz extension cords as well; they work great- i still get my rumble, and i got a purple one for my indigo controller, as well as a clear one for my black one.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Dan Brecher,
I'm starting to feel really sorry for you now, LOL. I was just in the local WalMart store, and to my suprise there is an indigo Gamecube just sitting there on the shelf! :)
Hey, at least the Brits have The Who, The Stones, The Beatles & the Kinks.
-Dan B
(wishes he was in the UK)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Controller extenders are a must in my home. I was only able to pick up one with my 'Cube. I need another one fast!

-Andre F

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm starting to feel really sorry for you now, LOL.
Please, let the sorrow continue for it gets even MORE frustrating!
The cube IS in fact going to be delivered to the my london billing address, so I've got to hope my dad is around tomorrow or thursday to take it in. THEN, I've got to figure out how I can get it up into London this week.
On top of this, whilst browsing another forum (Edge magazines) I got reading a post from other UK customers who ordered the same deal from NCS last week. I was STUPID to use UPS, I HATE UPS! These fellas were using a fast USPS service and have their cubes! Urghh
That said, NCS' service with tricking customs sounds like it works, from what the people on Edge forums say. NCS confirmed to me what I read at Edge, that my cube is marked up as a return of a repaired product with a value no higher than $35. Genius, but I am still cubeless.
SO:
My console isnt being shipped to my home after all, but my billing addresss (and I can't get UPS to change it unless first delivry attempt fails)
I've spent some $35 more going for UPS shipping instead of USPS, a descision which has landed me with UPS fu**ing me about with my cube presently stuck in customs.
I spent £64 on Rogue Leader from a rip off UK based importer on friday, which I tried to cancel after deciding to have Steve send me some games (at a whopping £92 for RL and Luigi shipped) but failed obviously since it turned up today leaving me stuck with TWO copies of Star Wars by the weeks end.
.......and I STILL DON'T HAVE MY CUBE!
After much thought, due to the expenses I could have avoided with my cube, and not being entirely happy with its own pricing structure right now I have decided to adandon plans to get a PS2 for Christmas. Looking att all the great cube titles coming, the money will be better spent on those and joypads.....lots more joypads! :)
Dan (UK)
PS: One may also wish to add, paying $275 for a modded cube I was expecting prior to the US launch only to be delayed and now likely to arrive at the time when the shipment of a domestic US cube at $199 from one of the kind HTF member offers would have arrived. :frowning:

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Don Roeber,

Moving the Cube would mean moving it onto the floor, and not having the power/audio-video cables hidden from sight.

I'm just going to go to a videogame store and pick up an extension. I didn't realize they were for sale already. But then again I didn't look for one while buying my Cube because I didn't realize the cord was going to be so short.

Thanks for all the help everyone in letting me know that the extensions are available.

Andrew

Andre F

Screenwriter
Speaking of controller extenders, does anyone know of a good place to get them online?

-Andre F

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm still trying to see if I can find a cube somewhere. Checked out several stores today but nobody had any.

Damn Nintendo having something so popular in my area...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Morgan,

I walked right into the CC on Rt. 22 in Union yesterday and got one right off the shelf. It was literally the last one, and they were unloading new XBoxes, but there is hope that you can find one in NJ. Just don't wait till the last minute or things will get MUCH worse.

Mike

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So I walked into my local TRU this evening, not really expecting to find anything. As I expected, the shelves for the GameCube & XBox were bare. As I was about to leave, I saw a guy at the checkout counter buying a GameCube! When he was done, I asked the clerk, "Hey, you got any more of those in the back??". He goes, "Sure, you want indigo or jet black?"
Five minutes later I'm walking out with my jet black cube, a memory card, Rogue Leader (last copy) & Super Monkey Ball (only one left)!! Funny thing, if you wandered into the store and didn't ask someone there would be no way to know they had the consoles. No sign, nothing. Not a good way to sell, if you ask me.
So those of you still looking, be persistent. They're out there!
Now, I'm off. I hear some monkeys calling my name! :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much all the stores I went into yesterday didn't have any GCNs on shelves and I even asked them if they had any.

Then again, I didn't check out a Toys R Us, and I know of at least two that are around half an hour away from where I live...

Frederick

Second Unit
Morgan, my suggestion would be to actually go to TrU. Don't call them. Back when I was hunting for a PS2, I would call just about every TrU in my vicinity, just to have the person on the phone say that they have no idea when they were getting anymore in, just to find out a day too late that there was a shipment on it's way. I had a friend walk into TrU inquiring about it one day a few weeks after the initial launch, and the woman, who was a manager, told him about a shipment of 12 coming in the next day. Needless to say, we were both there bright and early that next morning ...

Freddy C.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well, been playing with my new Indigo Gamecube (Wal-Mart only had two left and both were Indigo). First let me say I just LOVE that new smell when you open the box of a new piece of electronics equipment. Anyway, the first thing you notice is how small the Gamecube really is. It's tiny! It feels pretty solid though, with a nice heft to it. I couldn't find either a S-video or component cable anywhere, so I had to use the included composite cable. Still, the picture is pretty sharp.

Next is the controller. This is quite possible the best controller I have ever felt. It just fits your hands perfectly. As far as the Z button, I find it easy to press with my right index finger while leaving my right middle finger on the right shoulder button. The rumble felt pretty good with Rogue Squadron. The cord seems a little short though. But I sit fairly close to the tv so it didn't present a problem.

The load times seem really quick compared to other cd and dvd based systems I've played. And the mini-dvd's look cool. I also like that the game box is the exact same size as movie dvd boxes, so they're easy to store on a shelf.

The sound was impressive, although I don't exactly have the best sound equipment. Efects in Rogue Squadron made me feel like I was really in the movie.

Overall I really like the system. I can't wait to grab a few more games and the component cables when I get the chance. Well, that's my mini-review. Back to blowing up tie-fighters!!!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
UPS Tracking:
Nov 21, 2001 7:37 P.M. EAST MIDLANDS, GB MORE CUSTOMS INFORMATION REQUIRED;RELEASED BY CUSTOMS. NOW IN-TRANSIT
About fu**ng time! Though I expect to check it again tomorrow and see Customs have got it in their grasp again as oddly the overall status still reads "Exception" which according to UPS' F&Q means it aint going nowhere and the reason is noted, yet the latest entry says its been released, so lord knows! Urgh..... HOPEFULLY, it'll get delivered to my london adress tomorrow when my dad can take it in.
Big shout out to Steve Simon! Luigi and Rogue Leader arrived from him today. They continue to taunt me and I've actually taken to READING the manuals since I can do little else with the games.
Today has been the first time I held a GC game disc in person though. I've eaten cookies bigger than these things!
Dan (UK)

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm pretty much sold on the Cube. Hopefully, Friday I will be going to Bestbuy to attempt to brave the mighty customer horde and pick up a Cube and a copy of Luigi's Mansion at least.

Has anyone played Tony Hawk 3 for Cube yet? Is it even out yet? Has anyone seen it or Crazy Taxi?

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I picked up my indigo 'Cube at Kmart before we opened last Sunday, and waited anxiously all day to finally get home and play it. In all, I purchased the console, an extra black controller (FYI, Kmart's regular price on extra Nintendo controllers is only $30), a memory card, and Rogue Leader and Tony Hawk 3. Rogue Leader is very impressive, but I have to admit that I've been playing Tony Hawk much more. It's my first experience with the game on a console system (I've got Tony Hawk 2 on GBA), and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. While I admittedly don't have anything to compare it to, I have yet to notice the slowdown during the game that other people have mentioned, and I've only got one level left to unlock.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Dan I feel for you man...once you get your Cube it will all be better.
Has anyone had problems with their controllers? I'm on my third one so far and its only been a week. The triggers keep going on me. :angry:

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, I haven't had any problems with the controller...the other night I was watching some TV and picked up the controller and just started pushing the L and R button during the show, I have no idea why, then I played some RL and didn't see any problems. But, on a side note, the L and R triggers on my GBA did lose their clicking sound/feel.

Dan, I feel your pain. But trust me, once you get it and pop in Rogue Leader or Super Monkey Ball all will be right as rain. Seeing RL/SMB in person is 100 times better than watching a crappy Quicktime Video.

Corey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks