What's new

*** Official "DAREDEVIL" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
THIS IS A COMIC BOOK MOVIE! Spiderman aint got nothing on this movie, in fact, I would go so far as to call Spiderman crap next to this movie. Mark Steven Johnson and the entire cast GOT it! They werent afraid to have DD kill people and its a much more interesting character in terms of his growth. **Spoilers**

I could see that in the audience, they wanted him to kill Kingpin, but he didnt, because that wasnt him anymore. Just great! And they didnt do some half-assed thing and have Elektra come back at the end, which was just great! Kev's cameo got a lot of laughs. The scene on the roof-top where Matt and Elektra wait for the rain was both poignant and tragic and when she dies it makes it all that much more powerful. Looks like diamonds are falling on her. Just goregous!

Affleck was perfect I must say, physically imposing and mentally very intelligent. I thought he fit it perfectly and cant imagine anyone else playing DD. The beginning really makes the film so much more powerful because you actually end up caring for this for lack of a better word "murderer." I found that brilliant.
Jennifer Garner just lit up the screen! Not much more to say, she IS Elektra!
Collin Farrell was just badass! Funny and just awesome! He doesnt have a lot of screen time, but what screen time he has he steals it!
MCD was so damned physically imposing that he didnt even need to talk. The first shot of him is so damned cool.

And that leads me to the look. The look was fantastic! Every shot looked as if it popped out of a comic book! Really! I just dug the look and the FX were uber nice, even though its all in the dark they still look nice.

The only thing that I didnt really care for was the use of Rock music. But when I thought about, I thought well, it kinda works for this film the way it worked for The Crow, so Im actually ok for it.

For me, its gonna be hard for X2 and Hulk to top this one. I know ROTK is, but X2 and Hulk are gonna have to be fan-frickin-tastic to beat this one. I love this film to death and Im gonna go see it again in a few min.

People who are complaining about the Kingpin/DD fight are really off base I think. Simply put, this is not a comic book, you cant have a man hit another man and not have the other one not feel it. Aint gonna work. Especially a guy like Affleck, he's pretty big. Kingpin's gonna feel it. To have Matt hit him and break his hand who be ridiculous. Isnt Kingpin big enough, christ, he hurled Matt across the friggin room!

10/10!!! Third best Comic Movie behind Superman and The Crow!

I have scene it 3 times so far and craving more. I love this film to death. Spiderman is crap compared to this

(Admin note - added spoilers - Let's be more considerate to others who read reviews to not spoil plot points for the readers).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally, a comic book adaptation to film I can say that I enjoyed and can't wait for the sequel. Unlike, the very overrated "Spider Man", I thought this film hit a bullseye as a very good action film. Sorry, for the pun.:b Anyhow, the film had characters that I cared about and a cast that I liked in every role portrayed in the film. The villians were great and unlike that other beforementioned comic book film, they were villians that I could really get into like Nicholson's "Joker" and Hackman's "Luthor". I will definitely be revisiting this film again and I must admit that Jennifer Garner is a very good-looking woman. I only wished that both, her and Farrell could have been on the screen even more. These characters had personality which you don't find in many of these comics adapted films lately.

Crawdaddy

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Some genuinely good action scenes (especially towards the beginning) and a decent atmosphere are sadly wasted as the story progresses and becomes more and more pointless, leading up to the ridiculous Church organ fight scene?!

Acting was good, despite the occasional bad line, editing was all over the place and the music was dreadful.

Wait for the DVD and give it a rental.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Daredevil

Movie Score: B
Film Score: B-
Overall Score with Reviewer's Tilt: B

:emoji_thumbsup:
- action sequences amongst main characters
- special effects (eg. waterdrops on characters)
- Bullseye
- Jennifer Garner

:thumbsdown:
- Kingpin
-

even
- soundtrack
- generic action sequence

Meh, it was alright. I didn't have high expectations for this movie, so I came away enjoying it.

I'll go ahead and get my single complaint out of the way. Kingpin was horrible. I don't care if the guy was Mexican, Asian, or whatnot, Kingpin strayed away from the comic book and became essentially a generic mob boss that was simply tough. I'm not too familiar with the Daredevil comic source, but I do know that Kingpin is supposed to be this huge hulking mass of muscle that would give superheros like Spider-Man and Daredevil fits when it came to fights. Instead, he's just a generic tough guy from the Bronx. The only thing they got close to right (and this is me being very, very lenient)was how Kingpin acts.

Action sequences were pretty cool to watch although the "rapist" chase was pretty dull. Otherwise, the fights between Elektra/Daredevil or Daredevil/Bullseye were pretty cool.

Music is a mixed bag. I'm a bigger fan of orchestral music for superhero movies. The song selection isn't bad in and of itself, but seems misplaced and too manipulative at points (eg. Elektra's father's funeral).

I'd like to say I like Elektra's character, but I'm too awestruck from making a valid point. I was too busy looking at Jennifer Garner on-screen. :)

Colin Farrell stole the show in so many spots. It's no wonder his star is on the rise.

Overall, it's a nice diversion for an afternoon, worth the price I paid for matinee admission. If they would've made Kingpin cooler a la

putting up a bigger fight with Daredevil. I mean, c'mon, two kicks to the knee? I don't get it. If we can make concessions to the existence of superheros, why not supervillains? Kingpin's not a fighter, but he's at least supposed to be superstrong.

DavidBelis

Agent
I thought the movie was fantastic. It's become by second favourite superhero movie of all time (after the first Batman, of course).

It was leagues ahead of Spiderman, and I thought it was even better than the first Xmen.

To My surprise, Ben Affleck was great. However, the real star of the movie was Colin Farrell, IMO.

I simply loved him as Bullseye.

I'm just really glad that he didn't die in the end. Hopefully, there will be a sequel with Colin Farrel playing Bullseye again.

Overall, I'd give the movie approximately a 9.3 (I just arbitrarily chose this number based on how much I enjoyed the film)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Daredevil, most likely inspired by last year's successful Spider-Man, was dull, uninteresting, and lacked a satisfactory conclusion. Daredevil focused slightly more on the narrative than the CGI effects, which is a good thing, but the actual story lacked flair and gradually turned into a cliche-driven mess. I found all of the characters to be very one-dimensional, as they were all apparently motivated only by revenge. There wasn't a single character that was able to sustain my attention throughout the duration of the film, as they all appeared to be poorly derived from other super-hero films of recent years.

The revenge theme, which basically defines Affleck's character, was introduced early on in the film, but I am still confused about what Colin Farrell's and Joe Pantoliano's characters had to do with the progress of the story.

Aside from the simplistic story, I found the fight scenes to be both poorly shot and edited. They contained most of the same elements of recent action films, but their compilation was so jumbled, it was difficult to tell what was going on during certain scenes. The one component of the fight sequences I did like was that the characters appeared to possess more human characteristics, which differs greatly from other comic book adaptations like X-Men.

The ending of the film was quite ludicrous and seemed to be extremely forced. It was very ambiguous and was obviously an attempt to set up for a sequel.

Although Daredevil attempts to become a more story-driven endeavor, it becomes yet another film that sacrifices substance for visual effects.

:star: :star: (out of four)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wow frank anderson gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars but didnt say one word.

frank i would like to read what you liked about the movie too.

i would also give it 4 out of 5. i thought it was well done.
i know many here are saying the scenes were choppy or something like that from one scene to the next. but that didnt bother me. i enjoyed the action.
the only scene i didnt like was the love scene it stopped the whole movie dead in its tracks.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Everyone in this film looks like they are on some type of a performance enhancing drug, in addition to the yawn inducing choreographed kung-fu moves filmed in slow motion how-to aspect reminiscent of a very bad ballet performance. A popcorn flick through and through. More butter please. ;)

(out of four).

~Edwin

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
frank i would like to read what you liked about the movie too.
I am a sucker for super hero movies. Heck I probably would have enjoyed that stupid Fantastic Four movie they made years ago that was never released because it was so bad. Daredevil being my second favorite Marvel character, I doubt I could have hated it. I was very pleased I enjoyed it as much as I did because I was not expecting it to be very good. Because I have read the comics for so many years I did had some problems with a few things they changed. But even so I thought the movie rocked.

I don't remember any sort of sensory deprivation chamber in the comics and I really thought it was stupid to add it in the movie. Wouldn't a nice sound proof room work? Also the dependency of water or sound for his radar sense to work (or work better) was crap. And finally Daredevil has no superpowers other than radar sense. His leaps and falls from heights was crap. He should be considered equal to the worlds best Olympians, maybe a little better. He has an advantage with balance, reaction and avoiding stuff because of his radar sense. But in no way should he have been able to do some of those physical things portrayed in the movie.

[url=http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/spidey_smiley.gif] [/url]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks