What's new

***Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021*** (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 20: Blood Red Sky (2021) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Nadja (Peri Baumeister) and her son, Elias (Carl Anton Koch) leave Germany on a flight to the US. Nadja has a mysterious illness and places her hopes in an American clinic to cure her. Things take an unexpected turn when the flight is commandeered by a group of German terrorists and Nadja has no choice but to unleash her mysterious ‘illness’ to save her son.

Blood Red Sky offers an interesting set up to tell a vampire story. The confined space, collection of characters (both good and bad), and the flashback sequences showing how Nadja came to suffer from her ‘illness’ conspire to create surprisingly compelling viewing. It helps that Baumeister delivers an absorbing portrayal of a conflicted Nadja fighting what she’s become and then struggling with what she is after she’s forced to let it loose. Koch does well as her son and supporting players, particularly Kais Sett as fellow passenger, Farid, deliver strong performances, too.

Handsome production values and some unflinching bloodiness are additional ingredients that push this one into the strong result column. Thanks Netflix!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
24. Head Count (2018) - 💀💀.5 - This one starts with a poem warning not to sing the name HISJI 5 times. Soon enough a 20 something guy reads the poem off the internet with a group of new friends sharing scary stories while drinking. And even though he read Hisji 5 times instead of singing it, odd, creepy things start happening and he soon realizes he has summonsed a shapeshifter who causes people to commit suicide with the power of the number 5.

The first two acts are mysterious and interesting with likeable characters and odd happenings. But the third act comes on quickly, and ends almost as abruptly. And the ambiguous denoument isnt as ambiguous or compelling as the filmmakers think.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's The Ring of Nibelungen. Ya gotta stop watching those mostly horrible Alpha Vide transfers... I think I have 1 or 2 from them that are not bad - the rest are about what you'd expect from the old Mill Creek when they did nothing but "PD" collections.

This one has a pretty good BR transfer (according to DVD Beaver) from Code Red:

Full disclosure: The copy I have is the "Elvira's Movie Macabre" double feature version and isn't that much better than the Alpha Video (the Elvira is WS but not anamorphic) - but at least benefits from Elvira:
51j3si4ySUL._SY445_.jpg

The Code Red BR is in my wish list...

I got those Alpha videos on sale. I figured for the price of a cup of coffee I can own a horror movie on disc. Then when I started watching them I realized that the coffee would have been a better buy:)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I got those Alpha videos on sale. I figured for the price of a cup of coffee I can own a horror movie on disc. Then when I started watching them I realized that the coffee would have been a better buy:)
I get it... I own a half dozen or so of those Mill Creek collections, mostly to sample movies to see if I liked them enough to purchase better copies but also because with many of them there was no other option. The "plus" is a bunch of genre movies for not much money. I just ignore the bad quality and am surprised by the few that are not that bad. Mostly they're both bad movies and bad copies.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
16. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) – I haven’t watched this one in a long time, but it has always been a favorite. Having to tiptoe around Universal’s legal department forced Hammer to come up with their own distinctive take on the story which they did by making Baron Frankenstein a depraved, utterly unsympathetic character. Peter Cushing is marvelous in the title role. The creature doesn’t get a lot of screen time, but Christopher Lee’s performance gives it a profound sense of humanity. We watched it on the Warner Archive release which includes an excellent commentary track and other extras.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull:

17. The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) – We finished off the Hammer Horror collection with this entry into the franchise. Baron Frankenstein returns to his old home to find his creature frozen in ice, but he needs the help of a hypnotist to bring it fully back to life. The script is a bit of a mess and there’s no Christopher Lee, but Peter Cushing is back and as great as ever. Despite the obvious flaws, the film has a certain charm.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: 🦴

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
16. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) – I haven’t watched this one in a long time, but it has always been a favorite. Having to tiptoe around Universal’s legal department forced Hammer to come up with their own distinctive take on the story which they did by making Baron Frankenstein a depraved, utterly unsympathetic character. Peter Cushing is marvelous in the title role. The creature doesn’t get a lot of screen time, but Christopher Lee’s performance gives it a profound sense of humanity. We watched it on the Warner Archive release which includes an excellent commentary track and other extras.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull:

17. The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) – We finished off the Hammer Horror collection with this entry into the franchise. Baron Frankenstein returns to his old home to find his creature frozen in ice, but he needs the help of a hypnotist to bring it fully back to life. The script is a bit of a mess and there’s no Christopher Lee, but Peter Cushing is back and as great as ever. Despite the obvious flaws, the film has a certain charm.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: 🦴
Fantastic lineup!!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ghost Catchers (1944) ***

Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson decide to help out their neighbors who have moved into a haunted house. I'm a bit surprised that this "horror/comedy" from Universal isn't better known or had an official release considering the subject plus you've got Lon Chaney, Jr., Morton Downey and Andy Devine in supporting parts. The horror elements are cute even if they "borrow" from HOLD THAT GHOST. That film and Abbott and Costello even get mentioned here. Like a lot of the early A&C films, this one is 75% music but overall it was fun.

Video Nasties: Draconian Days (2014) *** 1/2

This sequel takes a look at the various laws put into place to try and prevent horror movies from being in stores or traded amongst collectors. Once again the most fascinating thing was just listening to the people who claimed watching these movies would turn you into a murderer. It's pretty clear they were just looking down on certain types of people who they felt weren't smart enough to watch this type of material.

Camp Blood 8: Revelations (2020) ***

I believe this is technically the 10th film so I'm still confused on the numbers. I actually thought this was the best of the series as it delivered pretty much everything you'd want out of a slasher. Gory kills, sleazy nudity, fun characters and just an overall fun time. I always say a slasher needs characters you like and this one here certainly did.

Old (2021) ***

People find themselves on an island that makes them grow years older within minutes. I think I disliked more than I actually liked with this film but the story and premise held my attention and kept me entertained. When it comes to M. Night Shyamalan you go in expecting a twist and the final explanation here just didn't work for me. I honestly think no explanation would have been better than what we got. The locations are beautiful though. I was shocked to see that I found more of the performances to be mediocre more than anything else.

Camp Blood Kills (2019) **

This here is basically a compilation movie that takes clips from CAMP BLOOD FIRST SLAUGHTER, CAMP BLOOD 4 and 5, CAMP BLOOD 666, GHOSTS OF CAMP BLOOD and CAMP BLOOD 8: REVELATIONS. Not only do we get the death and nudity scenes from those films but they also throw in THE OCCULTIST and AXE GRINDER. Since I had just watched most of these films, revisiting them like this wasn't the most entertaining thing but I guess this would be good for those who don't want to go through all of the films.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OCTOBER 20:

38) Halloween (1978) (4K UHD Disc) 4/5 stars - Still great, it's even greater in the 4K UHD just released by Scream Factory/Shout! The film has NEVER looked (or sounded, in Atmos) this good.

39) Lights Out* (2016) (iTunes 4K Streaming) 3/5 stars - The film begins with a very interesting premise that, unfortunately, becomes less creepy and disturbing as the story unfolds. People are being stalked and killed by SOMETHING that is only made material in the dark. Light erases it. Very effective cinematography adds to the sense of dread, but the explanation and reveal would have been better left more ambiguous. Nevertheless, it's a solid effort and worth a viewing.

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

074) 10/20/2021 The Dark Eyes of London (1939)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Because I'm stupid, I sprung for the Region B release of this film also know as The Human Monster since VCI botched their Blu Ray transfer. The good news is the film looks the best I've ever scene. The bad news is I still don't care for it that much. It's really more of a crime drama than outright horror film, with an ugly blind guy doing most of the actual killing. Lugosi is fine but I don't think this is anywhere near his best work. And the filmmakers cheat in order to pull off a twist towards the end. But I'm still glad I finally have a nice copy. Anyway, Lugosi plays an insurance cheat who has criminal ties to home for the blind. A tad eerie but not particularly horrifying. Happy Birthday, Bela!

075) 10/20/2021 An Angel for Satan (1966)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

The recovery of a cursed statue and its subsequent restoration coincide with nasty goings on in superstitious Italian village. Barbara Steele plays the troublesome woman who suddenly develops a split personality. I remember the first time I saw this being delightfully surprised by the ending. Up until then though the story is mostly familiar if atmosphericly presented. The main music theme is beautiful and I wish a soundtrack were available. The new Severin Blu Ray looks great. Next year I think I'm going to do a Barbara Steele "tribute" as I believe her only horror film not on Blu Ray yet is The Ghost.

076) 10/21/2021 Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Maybe if that priest had left well enough alone Dracula (Christopher Lee) would have stayed where he was! But Dracula does rise and goes after niece (Veronica Carlson) of the cleric who defiled his castle. Barry Andrews is Carlson's boy toy and they are attractive, sympathetic leads. Pretty good, but with a contrived finale that seems rushed.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Here's my last four. Looks like HawksFord and I agree on the Hammer Frankie films.

055 10/19 The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) 3.5/5 This is an odd one. Dr. Frankenstein returns to his estate and finds his monster frozen in ice and gets the help of a hypnotist to revive him. It’s odd since while it’s certainly a sequel to the previous films it actually retcons the first film to a degree for no real benefit. The monster also gets a new look, and frankly it’s more than a bit pants. Despite all this, the film for the most part works and Cushing is just fantastic in the lead and while the ambitious plot doesn’t really do it any favours, it does work and kind of stands out as its own thing.

056 10/19 Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995) 2/5 Everything great from the first film, save Tony Todd, is absent in this dreck of a sequel. It’s New Orleans and a young woman discovers her family linkage to Candyman to set up a gothic romance? The problem here is the cast isn’t up to snuff and with no one of Virginia Madsen’s level to carry the film the whole thing comes off as a cheap-o cash in (which I’m sure it was) at a direct to video level (I’m sure this hit the theaters? I could be wrong). Add in a goofy radio announcer narrator putting on an unbelievably corny accent and this one was more frustrating than anything to watch.

057 10/20 Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb (1964) 2.5/5 Sequel to Hammer’s first mummy film is basically a remake instead of a follow up, only without Cushing and Lee. A tomb is raided, a mummy has come back to life to kill the raiders, and I won't spoil it but the twist in this one is more ridiculous than clever. The Mummy make-up is a step down from the first and it feels like it takes forever to get going. One of those films where there isn’t anything technically wrong with it, but nothing really to recommend either. The main thing I got out of this is it’s noticeably sexed up a bit from previous films so I guess 1964 is where the sixties start to swing.

058 10/20 Luz (2018) 3/5 What do you say about this one? I’ll be honest, I was completely lost plot wise but IMDB tells me it’s about a demonic entity trying to return to the woman it loves. Sounds good to me. This one was more of an experience I guess, well crafted, intriguingly presented and at 70 minutes it never overstayed its welcome and really nails a weird atmosphere that kept me interested despite never fully understanding what exactly was going on. I watched a bit of the director's interview afterwards and this was his student thesis film which probably explains why it is what it is. Not one I’m over the moon with or would necessarily recommend, but I did like it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
12. THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921) Buster Keaton (KINO 2011 Blu-ray Edition)

Among Buster Keaton’s earliest post Arbuckle silent comedies, this 20 minute short features an abandoned house designed by a bank cashier and his band of counterfeiters to appear haunted in order to scare off Police. Add Buster and the Daredevil Opera Company with its players in Faustian costumes to the mix, and scary hilarity ensues! Highlights include Glue and Bankrolls; a staircase with “disappearing” stairs; and a dream sequence with a twist!

The original color tinting is a really nice touch in this non digitally enhanced, film like restoration!

Highly Recommended!!

Strange occurrences are afoot in THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921):
screenshot165.jpg

These passersby want nothing to do with THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921)!:
screenshot193.jpg

In THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921), Buster finds himself in a deep dark place!:
screenshot246.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here's my last four. Looks like HawksFord and I agree on the Hammer Frankie films.

055 10/19 The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) 3.5/5 This is an odd one. Dr. Frankenstein returns to his estate and finds his monster frozen in ice and gets the help of a hypnotist to revive him. It’s odd since while it’s certainly a sequel to the previous films it actually retcons the first film to a degree for no real benefit. The monster also gets a new look, and frankly it’s more than a bit pants. Despite all this, the film for the most part works and Cushing is just fantastic in the lead and while the ambitious plot doesn’t really do it any favours, it does work and kind of stands out as its own thing.

056 10/19 Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995) 2/5 Everything great from the first film, save Tony Todd, is absent in this dreck of a sequel. It’s New Orleans and a young woman discovers her family linkage to Candyman to set up a gothic romance? The problem here is the cast isn’t up to snuff and with no one of Virginia Madsen’s level to carry the film the whole thing comes off as a cheap-o cash in (which I’m sure it was) at a direct to video level (I’m sure this hit the theaters? I could be wrong). Add in a goofy radio announcer narrator putting on an unbelievably corny accent and this one was more frustrating than anything to watch.
I like it quite a bit, and the monster does off to me, but still.

I don't remember the name of the Hammer Frankenstein film in which Peter Cushing delivered the best burn in cinematic history. Frankenstein is at a boarding house sitting with a few gentlemen in the study. They are lambasting Dr. Frankenstein unaware he is in their presence sitting with them reading his paper. Frankenstein enthusiastically asks the main culprit something to the effect of " Oh excuse me, I couldn't help but overhearing I didn't know you gentlemen were doctors". The man replies "we aren't", to which Frankenstein replies "I'm sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about" in a dismissive tone like the men were less than nothing.
"That was Damn Rude sir" replied the insult recipient.
Just his delivery of those lines were laser perfect I still get chuckle thinking about it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
October 20th
88. Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah (1995) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
Every time I think I'm done purchasing Godzilla films another comes along I've either not heard of or just don't have on disc (and I'm not that particular about most of them whether it's DVD or BR - depends on the pressing and whether or not it includes the original Japanese audio track - the 2-fer BR release of these two do).

The aftermath of the Oxygen Destroyer brings forth Destoroyah, a beast intent on killing Godzilla, who is on the verge of a nuclear meltdown.

And we're offered another more serious entry in the Godzilla series. Godzilla's about to go all critical mass and blow up Tokyo and possibly the world unless they can find a way to cool him down. The human characters take 2nd place to the monsters (and do we *really* watch these for those folks?), receiving little bit occasional expository type dialog. There's lots of discussion about a new "oxygen destroyer" and its inherent dangers but taking out Godzilla is really the moving force. And there are quite a few flashbacks to the original film. Lots of fun as the humans create Destroyah and it battles Godzilla and Godzilla Junior.

89. Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy (2000) ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
This one's still kind of fun but generally lacking.

Japan creates an artificial black hole device to trap Godzilla forever, but a test of the device creates new foes for Godzilla, car-sized dragonflies called meganula and their queen, Megaguirus.

It, again, attempts to put some humor in a Godzilla film and features a kid who, in his stupidity, pretty much kicks things off by dumping a meganula egg in the sewers instead of turning it in to G-Force (no - not the hamsters). Overall, it's pretty forgettable but still fun in that general way with most Godzilla films.

When it comes right down to it there are only 3 or 4 of the Godzilla films I return to over and over. Of course the original that started it all (the Japanese version - not the US edit which is OK but I just don't watch it very often), and a few of the more serious entries into the series. I can't see either of these films making that small group in spite of giving "Vs Destoroyah" a 7/10.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
October 20: Blood Red Sky (2021) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing

Nadja (Peri Baumeister) and her son, Elias (Carl Anton Koch) leave Germany on a flight to the US. Nadja has a mysterious illness and places her hopes in an American clinic to cure her. Things take an unexpected turn when the flight is commandeered by a group of German terrorists and Nadja has no choice but to unleash her mysterious ‘illness’ to save her son.

Blood Red Sky offers an interesting set up to tell a vampire story. The confined space, collection of characters (both good and bad), and the flashback sequences showing how Nadja came to suffer from her ‘illness’ conspire to create surprisingly compelling viewing. It helps that Baumeister delivers an absorbing portrayal of a conflicted Nadja fighting what she’s become and then struggling with what she is after she’s forced to let it loose. Koch does well as her son and supporting players, particularly Kais Sett as fellow passenger, Farid, deliver strong performances, too.

Handsome production values and some unflinching bloodiness are additional ingredients that push this one into the strong result column. Thanks Netflix!
I absolutely LOVED this film. I thought it was fantastic on every level. I'm glad you found it. My wife had heard of it from her friends. She doesn't even like horror movies much and she thought it was great too.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I like it quite a bit, and the monster does off to me, but still.

I don't remember the name of the Hammer Frankenstein film in which Peter Cushing delivered the best burn in cinematic history. Frankenstein is at a boarding house sitting with a few gentlemen in the study. They are lambasting Dr. Frankenstein unaware he is in their presence sitting with them reading his paper. Frankenstein enthusiastically asks the main culprit something to the effect of " Oh excuse me, I couldn't help but overhearing I didn't know you gentlemen were doctors". The man replies "we aren't", to which Frankenstein replies "I'm sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about" in a dismissive tone like the men were less than nothing.
"That was Damn Rude sir" replied the insult recipient.
Just his delivery of those lines were laser perfect I still get chuckle thinking about it.

That's from Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED was just on TCM. I guess I screwed up and should have put the TV schedule on the opening post.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
15) The Neon Demon (2016) - 3/5
Elle Fanning stars in Nicolas Winding Refn's most recent freakout as a 16 year old runaway who arrives in Los Angeles with dreams of a modeling career.

This is my third viewing of The Neon Demon, and I'm still not quite certain what the deal is. There's an obvious slam at what unrelenting pigs men are around women. A major theme is the predatory (quite literally, in this case) aspect of the modeling industry, especially between the female models. Does Jesse (Fanning) ultimately become "The Neon Demon"? Yeah, that could be. This movie is incredibly abstract, probably too much so for most viewers, but it is fascinating to see what bizarre thing will happen next. Ultimately it seems to be something of a comedy, based largely on the final minutes.

Last edited:

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
15) The Neon Demon (2016) - 3/5
Elle Fanning stars in Nicolas Winding Refn's most recent freakout as a 16 year old runaway who arrives in Los Angeles with dreams of a modeling career.

This is my third viewing of The Neon Demon, and I'm still not quite certain what the deal is. There's an obvious slam at what unrelenting pigs men are around women. A major theme is the predatory (quite literally, in this case) aspect of the modeling industry, especially between the female models. Does Jessie (Fanning) ultimately become "The Neon Demon"? Yeah, that could be. This movie is incredibly abstract, probably too much so for most viewers, but it is fascinating what bizarre thing will happen next. Ultimately it seems to be something of a comedy, based largely on the final minutes.

This has been on my list, but I've been on the fence. I'll have to fit it in at some point. I'm pretty sure it's on Prime.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Day 20-21: 20-21 October 2021: Feature Presentations: (1942) WWII era escapism, Val Lewton and noir influences and Poverty Row starts cranking them out. Part I

240024_large.jpg
1634791319300.png
240024_large.jpg
220px-The-mad-monster-movie-poster-md.jpg

52. The Mad Doctor of Market Street: Universal Horror Collection Vol 2 (
Release Date: Feb 27, 1942) FTV🩸🩸
Well it happened, major studios and Poverty Row blend together as most of the horror films at the major studios are regulated to the “B“units, Poverty Row producers jump to the major studios and start producing on the cheap and quick, prime example Paul Malvern who the decade before took a down actor named John Wayne and put him in a bunch of Lone Star Productions for Monogram. makes the move to Universal, bigger budget, studio system, sets, and continues Universal’s “Horror” in name only mysteries.

First up The Mad Doctor of Market Street which by the time counter on the display spends all of maybe if we're lucky 5 minutes on Market Street. At that point he's on run from the wall so he changes his appearance tries to take a sea voyage sets the damn boat on fire and the rest of The thing is set up on an island where he set up as some kind of huckster that using a little formula that he concocted to put the natives to sleep or suspended animation as explained in the movie. So that he can bring them back from the dead. the boatload of passengers that he arrived on the island with, try to expose him for the fake that he is.

there's lots of decent jungle scenery and some romantic interest and light comedy, but really this probably filled the bottom half of a double bill.

53. The Ghost of Frankenstein: Frankenstein: The Complete Legacy Collection (Release date: Mar 6, 1942)⚡⚡⚡
So universal stepped up one more time after ending Boris Karloff’s run of wearing the makeup as the monster as Lon Chaney dons the forehead, big boots and the rest of the makeup with Bela Lugosi In tow as Ygor. As another one of the original doctor Frankenstein sons is brought to the forefront along with Lionel Atwill as his associate research scientist. Definitely, one of the weaker films in the series. Apparently the monster survived the sulfur pit from Son of Frankenstein, and now him an Ygor are on the run so that they can find the son to give new life to the creature.

This doctor works on diseases of the mind and his idea along with the creatures is to replace his brain so that is no longer that of a criminal or murderer, but evil has his own ideas with his broken down body to have his brain transplanted into that of the creature. The good doctors partner goes along with Ygor's idea and removes his brain and brings it to Frankenstein’s son, who unknowingly puts it in the creature.

this is such a devolution from the growth of the creature that Karloff created in Bride of Frankenstein, Chaney walks around in the makeup with really not much to do except use his hulking size as a menace maybe make a couple of faces towards the camera, but it runs into camp after the operation when Chaney is pantomiming to Lugosi’s voice as the monster.

The townsfolk have had enough, and they go to blow up the chalet that the entire family is in, to destroy the legacy and the monster…. yeah, that ain't gonna happen, not when there's a cash to milk.

54. The Strange Case of Doctor Rx: Universal Horror Collection Vol 2 (Release Date: Apr 17, 1942) FTV🩸🩸
This time we get another murder mystery with Lionel Atwill as the mcguffin, It's entertaining, but nothing that's really gonna knock your socks off. Honestly the best thing I remember about the whole damn movie is there is a skit between Mantan Moreland and Shemp Howard rolling dice over a bottle of whiskey.

there's a little detective melodrama, involving a romance of our lead detective, an attorney who's trying to defend his reputation, but his defendants keep ending up dead after he has them acquitted.

55. The Mad Monster: Roku (Film Detective) (Release Date: May 8, 1942) FTV💉💉
PRC the little studio that could or could not depending on the material that they had, this one sort of seems like I had not, but don't let that fool you. Having never seen this movie I did a hell of a lot of research just to find out what I was in for because dealing with some of the poverty road releases it's a mixed bag as to what you're going to get. And after a lot of research, I found it George Zucco enjoyed his time working at the poverty row studios where he was more or less a lesser Boris Karloff. You can be a background or a character actor at one of the major studios. But here you get star billing and who doesn't want to be the star of the production that they're in.

Also, should be of note is that this was directed by Sam Newfield; that might not mean lot to some people but if you say the word work faster you definitely have described this director's work. This is one of 19 or 20 films that he did in one single year. When they always talk about WS Van Dyke as being one shot I don't think Sam Newfield was doing too many retakes himself. It's stated that the film took a whole five days to complete, while other info gives it at least two weeks, so factor that into the quality of the production.

So basically PCR is kind of rehashing The Devil Bat with Zucco filling in the Lugosi spot as the mad scientist who's found a way through blood transfusions to turn Glenn Strange from gentle caretaker bearing a big resemblance to a cross between Jethro Bodine and Torgo from Manos into a werewolf that bears a strong resemblance to Jerry Garcia.

The fog machine is working in heavy effect to hide the minimal sets that are used for the outside shots but still effective. It's a bit of a trainwreck and at the same time you don't want to turn away and not watch it. I know that this got lampooned on MST3K, as did a lot of the poverty row studio films, but no honesty I do believe that it's because they were all in the public domain. Some of the titles that I've seen here in this year's challenge that are still studio product and not in the public domain could have had the same lampooning done on them.

the print in filmdetective.tv isn't great, but it is serviceable.

Next!

Day 21-22: 21-22 October 2021: Feature Presentations: (1942) WWII era escapism, Val Lewton and noir influences and Poverty Row starts cranking them out. Part II

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
A small Dark Shadows marathon just now. Was watching the last episodes on disc 81. and David Selby is the interview on this one. He's one of those guys you wish you knew and could chat with over coffee or something. He mentioned what others have, that those cameras recorded everything, all mistakes etc and used everything. Then he said something that made me have to pause to laugh so much He said they wouldn't stop filming unless the teleprompters stopped working, at which time "Jonathan would grind to a halt". (his words lol ) witty fellow, spoke his mind. lovable smart ass like his character

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks