What's new

***Official 19th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2018*** (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have to PM a moderator and ask to be allowed to edit your posts beyond the 24 hours standard.
You sure about that? I asked a Mod and was told he can't do that. Do I need to contact an Owner? I don't want to bother them if I don't need to.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
waiting for it to start..........
bwp.jpg

Monday, October 1st
1. The Amityville Horror. (2005)
2. Deep Dark. (2015) (NEW)

Tuesday, October 2nd
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning. (2007)
4. Paranormal Activity 4. (2012)
5. Hotel Transylvania 3D. (2012) (NEW)

Wednesday, October 3rd
6. Friday the 13th (1980)
7. Hell House LLC. (2016)

Thursday, October 4th
8. The Changling. (1979)
9. SiREN. (2016) (NEW)
10. Dark Shadows. (TV) (NEW) (655,656,657)

Friday, October 5th
**nothings**

Saturday, October 6th
11. A Christmas Horror Story. (2015)
12. Deathgasm. (2015)
13. Mummy 3D. (2017)(NEW)
14. Friday the 13th Part 2. (1981)
15. Number 23. (2007)(NEW)

Sunday, October 7th
16. Paranormal Activity 5 Marked Ones. (2014)
17. Happy Death Day. (2017)(NEW)
18. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D (2012)
19. The Night Eats the World. (2018)(NEW)
20. Casper. (1995)(NEWish)
(10-3) Dark Shadows. (657) (NEW)

Monday, October 8th
21. Devil's Due. (2014)(NEW)
22. Murder Party. (2007)
23. Mum & Dad. (2009)

Tuesday, October 9th
24. The American Scream. (2012)(NEW)
25. Halloween. (1978)
26. Return of the Living Dead. (1985)

Wednesday, October 10th
27. Pyewacket. (2017)(NEW)
28. Shutter. (2007)

Thursday, October 11th
29. My Friend Dahmer. (2017)(NEW)
30. The Conjuring. (2013)

Friday, October 12th
31. Friday the 13th III 3D. (1982)
32. IT. (2017)
33. Dark Shadows. (658,659,660)(NEW)

Saturday, October 13th
34. You're Next. (2011)
35. Monster House 3D. (2006)
36. Summer of 84. (2018)(NEW)
37. Dead End. (2003)

Sunday, October 14th
38. Moon. (2009)
39. Paranormal Activity Ghost Dimension 3D. (2015)
40. Friday the 13th Part 4 The Final Chapter. (1984)
41. The Mummy. (1933)
42. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. (1920)(NEW)

Monday, October 15th
43. Ghost Stories. (2017)(NEW)
44. The Last Supper. (1995)
45. The Kiss of the Vampire. (1963)

Tuesday, October 16th
46. V/H/S 2. (2012)
47. Final Destination 5. (2011)

Wednesday, October 17th
48. The Conjuring 2. (2016)(NEW)
49. High Tension. (2005)

Thursday, October 18th
50. Turistas. (2006)(NEW)
51. VVitch. (2015)
52. Psychoville Halloween Special. (2010)(NEW)

Friday, October 19th
53. The League of Gentlemen
1- "Welcome to Royston Vasey"
2- "The Road to Royston Vasey"
3- "Nightmare in Royston Vasey"

Saturday, October 20th
54. A Quiet Place. (2018)(NEW)
55. Texas Chainsaw 3D. (2013)
56. Halloween. (2018)(NEW)
57. House of 1000 Corpses. (2003)
58. The Wailing. (2016)(NEW)

Sunday, October 21st
59. Hereditary. (2018)(NEW)
60. Under the Skin. (2014)
61. Let's Scare Jessica to Death. (1971)
62. The Stepfather. (1986)
63. The Strangers. (2007)

Monday, October 22nd
64. The Shining (1980)
65. Tragedy Girls. (2017)(NEW)

Tuesday, October 23rd
66. Poltergeist. (1982)
67. The Blair Witch Project. (1999)
68. Bubba Ho-tepp. (2003)

Wednesday, October 24th
69. Leatherface (2017)(NEW)
70. It Follows (2015)
71. Lovely Molly (2013)

Thursday, October 25th
72. Shaun of the Dead. (2004)
73. When a Stranger Calls. (2006)

Friday, October 26th
74. Poltergeist II The Other Side (1986)
75. Poltergeist III (1988)
76. League of Gentleman
1- "The Beast of Royston Vasey"
2-???
3-???

Saturday, October 27th
77. Frailty. (2001)
78. Poltergeist 3D (2015)
79. V/H/S: Viral. (2014)
80. Corpse Bride. (2005)
81. Interview with a Vampire. (1994)
82. Dark Shadows (NEW)
1- 661
2- nnn
3. nnn

Sunday, October 28th
83. The Last Exorcism. (2010)
84. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D. (2013)(NEW)
85. Crimson Peak. (2015)
86. Friday the 13th V: A New Beginning. (1985)
87. Krampus (2015)

Monday, October 29th
88. Psycho II (1982)
89. Cemetery Man (1993)
90. The Invisible Man (1933)

Tuesday, October 30th
91. Dark Water. (2001)
92. Cabin in the Woods. (2011)
93. Creepshow. (1982)

Wednesday, HALLOWEEN!
94. Twilight Zone The Movie. (1983)
95. The Bride of Frankenstein. (1935)
96. Tucker & Sale Vs. Evil. (2010)
97. Babadook. (2014)

ACTUAL TOTAL 95.2

Last edited:

Greg Black

Second Unit
Setting up camp...

Let's do this!

1) 10/06 The Return of the Vampire (1943) [Svengoolie]

TV Shows & Specials

1) 10/07 Kolchak: The Night Stalker, S01E20, "The Sentry" (March 28, 1975) [60 min.]

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Out of 4
skull.gif

Bold = First Time Viewing

001) 10/01/2018 Dear Dead Delilah (1972)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

In 1943 Luddy ax-murdered her mother. Now she’s been released and is staying at South Hall Plantation where owner Agnes Moorehead lords over her family. Believing she’s near death, Agnes tells her siblings that $600,000 is hidden somewhere on the estate. Naturally, someone starts bumping off the competition. Slow-burn Gothic thriller is ripe with atmosphere and idiosyncratic characterizations. There are several brutal kills too. Cast and sense of humor make this an above average horror whodunit.

002) 10/01/2018 The Curse of the Doll People (1961)
skull.gif
1/2

Voodooist uses well-dressed, creepy looking dolls to punish the four men (and their families) who stole sacred idol. Luckily a friend of the group is a doctor who understands what’s going on every step of the way and she tries to help them, unfazed by their mocking. The killer toys are nothing but people of short stature wearing masks, and there’s too much telling instead of showing. Not as atmospheric as other Mexican horrors either.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
FD458F0E-4DC9-4AD4-BE64-5FFF9BE10260.jpeg
#01: Attack of the Super Monsters (First Time Viewing)
There’s no place to go but up! WTF is this thing??? A Japanese release but REALLY cheap and bizarre. It’s a mishmash of live action, animation, stop motion and the traditional “man in a monster suit” about something related to the return of dinosaurs. That sometimes talk. Really. Zero ⭐

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
1. Tumbling Doll Of Flesh (1998). A brutal Japanese sickie along the same lines as the Guinea Pig series and August Underground. You won't find much of a story here, just body parts being removed and blurred out Japanese genitalia.

3/5.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 1: Halloween (1978) – 4 out of 5

I decided to start this year's challenge off with the John Carpenter classic (largely because I have the new 4K to review). This way I'll get to bookend the 31 Days of Halloween with the works of the legendary Carpenter.

The simplicity and efficiency of this film is an enormous part of its success. The Shape-Michael Myers-is the perfect cinematic boogeyman. His silent, stalking, leering and detached cruelty is terrifying. Frightening at times regardless of how many times you've seen the film.

For such a low budget and simple premise, Halloween is as scary as they come. The performances are generally good though Donald Pleasance’s Dr. Loomis can be overwrought and too insistent at times, but each actor’s contributions have made an indelible impression on this classic. Of course, once the recognizable music by John Carpenter can be heard, and the camera begins to drift toward a house or an unaware teen, we are quickly embraced by the effectiveness of Carpenter’s chills. Halloween, now 40 years old, remains as gripping and disquieting as it did all those years ago.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw on Facebook that today is the 50th anniversary of Night Of The Living Dead so I figured that was as good a movie to start off as any.

1. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

The dead rise and begin to feed on the living. An immortal classic. The craziest thing about the movie being 50 years old is that that means that the Elite laserdisc (the first quality home presentation of the movie) is now 25 years old.

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

Bold - Denotes first ever viewing

003) 10/01/2018 The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2
Boris Karloff plays brilliant scientist who can swap personalities between animals. When his research is threatened, he decides to experiment on humans. There is much humor to be found here, especially after Karloff starts exchanging personas and people don’t act like themselves. Amusing performances and droll script make for an entertaining if laid back thriller.

004) 10/01/2018 The Soul of a Monster (1944)
skull.gif
skull.gif

When science is unable to save beloved doctor from dying, his desperate wife unknowingly summons evil emissary who seemingly performs a miracle. But then recovered hubby starts acting strangely; around him dogs bark and flowers wilt. The title gives away the reason. Mundane script given some life by director Will Jason, who employs the Val Lewton approach in key terror scenes.

005) 10/02/2018 Warlock Moon (1973)
skull.gif
1/2
Young lovers discover abandoned country spa and the eccentric elderly woman who watches over it, and later learn the macabre reason why the place was closed. Another 1970s low-budget slow burn thriller, this one features axe murders, a satanic cult, and some expected twists. Unfortunately, there’s too much padding and repetition which combine to greatly dilute the finale’s impact.

006) 10/02/2018 The Night of the Sorcerers (1974)
skull.gif
1/2
Group arrives in African jungle to conduct “photographic survey of animals near extinction.” Instead they find a tribe of zombies that rise from the dead to continue voodoo rites, including the decapitation of meddlers, who then become vampires. The very definition of Euro-sleaze: gruesome scenes of horror mixed with moments of soft-core and nudity. Occasionally eerie and effective. But just as often silly and tedious.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Monday, October 1st
1. The Amityville Horror. (2005) Get a crazy old fixer upper house with ghosties scurrying all over the place.. I say hand them spookies a broom or brush/paint or shingles for the roof! Earn your haunting privileges you demonic freeloading bastards. And if they won't... hire a better priest who knows to bring a flyswatter! Pretty okay redo of a movie that is pretty just okay itself. The house is visited so much by ghosts and such you don't have to wait for the movie to throw cats or pig faces through the windows like more suspenseful original did. Melissa George plays the mom in Margo Kidder's shoes, love her in Triangle and Sugar & Spice. Ryan Reynolds is the dad. He reminds me of Nick Noltle here instead of James Brolin from the original but not as good as James was, he was a standout. And Cloe Grace Moretz is the creepy little girl of the family, she's a good little actress right from the start. Kickass made me a fan. She's the stand out. Good cast though. I was craving this and it's always great to go with those no matter what they are.

2. Deep Dark. (2015) (NEW) Like a Tales from the Darkside with surrealisms and some giggles. A nerdy artist with no talent gets help from a voice inside the walls of his rented apartment. Pretty soon his mobiles are selling like much better thought of mobiles! Of course everybody knows there's a cost. I was groaning at first but as the Tales from the Darkside feel got me I really had a good time. For fans of surreal, like Being John Malkovich, this is worth a look I think. But it definitely feels like a Tales... like somebody came up with the idea and quickly wrote the script out in time to start filming it in a few days, like those old TftDS.

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got one in last night, but I'm off to a terrible start. I had a media center disaster yesterday that's going to eat into my first week watching time. RATS!

Started the challenge off with a blind watch, it wasn't groundbreaking.

001 10/01 The House of the Dead (aka Alien Zone) (1978) 2.5/5 A man takes up an offer from a stranger to get out of a storm and it’s all a ruse to set off an anthology film. As per these things, some stories are better than others, and the themes range from a shocker about a teacher being terrorized to a Sherlock Holmes type thing with rival crime fighters. None of them are exceptionally well done, and it all feels rather tame so writing this the morning after I find myself not recalling anything that makes this particularly stand out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

001 10/01 The House of the Dead (aka Alien Zone) (1978) ...
I thought yesterday was going to start with a thud for me too since I got 4 hours the night before but said to hell with it. and I slept better last night. I hope I can get in some triples during the week but man oh man I got this months extra work schedule yesterday and... scarier than a noise behind ya during a horror movie that's just in stereo!

I was trying to remember this movie for a long long time you just watched. I love it when that happens. I remember the last story with the guy running around some rooms and thought it was sort of kind SAW like. Wasn't sure, does look like this one. I remember streaming this off youtube or downloading it from archive.org or something. can't remember. .. will scare it up maybe.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was trying to remember this movie for a long long time you just watched. I love it when that happens. I remember the last story with the guy running around some rooms and thought it was sort of kind SAW like. Wasn't sure, does look like this one. I remember streaming this off youtube or downloading it from archive.org or something. can't remember. .. will scare it up maybe.

You're remembering it right! S dude trapped in a bunch of trick rooms in the last story, and I guess SAW like?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The Vampire Bat (1933) **

How can such a great cast lead to such a boring movie? The film obviously wants to cash in on the Universal horror movies yet they pretty much take out all the horror elements and we're left with a boring mystery film.

Filmgore (1983) ***

This here is one of those compilation videos that were popular in the 80's and were made so that people would see the film clips and then go out and rent those movies. This one here was hosted by Elvira and it takes a look at the violence in such movies as THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, DRIVE IN MASSACRE, THE ASTRO
ZOMBIES and various others.

Something to Scream About (2003) ***

Brinke Stevens hosts this documentary about Scream Queens. We get interviews with several actresses who talk about their love of the genre, what it's like dealing with fans, their thoughts on nudity and a variety of other topics. Felissa Rose (who I just met a couple weeks back **I got a hug**) tells some nice stories about SLEEPAWAY CAMP and Stevens even talks a bit about her own career.

Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970) 1/2

The Sweeney Todd story told via Andy Milligan, which means you've got a very awful and very boring melodrama with horrible acting. I just honestly don't see what the appeal of Milligan is. I get the love of watching bad movies but the fact that there are some who consider him a great and important filmmaker is just silly to me.

Bride of the Gorilla (1951) ***

I really don't understand the hate that this film gets. Raymond Burr gets cursed and might be turning into a gorilla or it might be in his head. This here is basically the original version of THE WOLF MAN before the studio made them turn Talbot into a monster. For the most part this works as a "B" movie and I thought the jungle setting was good too.

Cardiac Arrest (1980) 1/2

Thanks to Letterboxd I'm going to watch several horror films from the 80's that I was either unaware of or just skipped. This one here has a detective tracking down a serial killer who is taking the hearts from the victims. There's an interesting story and idea here but the film is just so poorly directed and poorly acted that it's just a real drag to sit through. It seems this film failed as a thriller when it was released so the producers packaged it as a slasher, which it isn't.

Help Me... I'm Possessed (1976) **

An evil doctor is running a sanitarium, which has a basement full of torture devices as well as women chained to the walls. I'm curious if BLOODSUCKING FREAKS director Joel. M. Reed saw this movie and was influenced by it. That film went to the extreme as far as sleaze goes and this here doesn't go that far but it's still a pretty strange little film that works if you enjoy those low-budget drive-in movies.

The Night of a Thousand Cats (1972)

Rene Cardona, Jr. film about a rich playboy who flies around in his helicopter and picks up beautiful women. He takes them back to his house, murders them and feeds them to his cat. This here runs 63-minutes and what I just said is the only thing that happens. Over and over and over. I must admit that the film is somewhat poorly made but at the same time it just so stupid and somewhat sleazy that you can't help but enjoy it. I don't know if there's a longer version out there or what but I'd like to see it if so.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD was better than I thought it would be. It was nothing special but I did like the first story. It was ultra cheap but I thought it was much better than some of the other films VS released this year.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Got one in last night, but I'm off to a terrible start. I had a media center disaster yesterday that's going to eat into my first week watching time. RATS!

Started the challenge off with a blind watch, it wasn't groundbreaking.

001 10/01 The House of the Dead (aka Alien Zone) (1978) 2.5/5

writing this the morning after I find myself not recalling anything that makes this particularly stand out.

Yep, know how you feel. Checking my records, I gave this one a dismal 3/10, but put a gun to my head and I still couldn't recall a thing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks