What's new

Of the speakers you have built, which ones did you like best? (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy building things. Lately it has been speakers that have gotten my attention. I think I enjoy building the speakers more than using the speakers. There is a large sense of satisfaction when you get to look at (and listen to) the final product.

I was wondering, of all the speakers you all have built, what was the most satisfying? Not only the best sounding, but the most enjoyable to build.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I get the most satisfaction in building crossovers.

There's something about the melting and the flux fumes that just calms me down :)

I think I was most pleased when I first turned on a pair of GR-Research AV-3s.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I love my A/V-2's the most of the speakers I've built. We just shipped off a pair of the new A/V-3 cabinets to Danny but I haven't heard them yet. If they have the same midrange quality as the A/V-2's and greater bass extension then those could become my favorites next.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have the Classic Av-3, that I liked even before the sonicap upgrade which DID make an audible difference might I add. Sonicaps seem to make the speaker more refined and less fatiguing in the treble. They appear to have more realism and clear up a bit too. This was immediately distinctable between comparing two pairs of different AV3s.

Supposedly the new drivers in the AV-3s should have improved clarity with a slight sacrifice in bass production compared to the classic.

I have built a pair of AV-2s, and did like the SQ plenty. But listening to them by themselves I just prefer the more full sound of the AV-3s. Integrate a subwoofer with both of them, and It will probably be harder to tell the difference.

I guess I could also add that my favorite loudspeaker to date is the Linkwitzlab Phoenix dipole. I suppose the Linkwitz Orion could even be far my favorite DIY speaker although I've never built one. :frowning:

It's definitely on my to do list though...

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info.
Btw, the best speaker I have built is the Tempest sub.
It is also the only speaker I have built.

Hi,

The only speaker I built is my center. I used 2 Klipsch 10" copper woofers, 90x60 horn for the mid, and a EV T35 (aka klipsch k77) horn tweeter. Spent 30 hours of design and 6 days to build. If you want to check it out got to my web page. Since I am new here it it won't let me post my web address so I am trying to get around it. I put spaces between. just put your curser between each one and backspace. had to leave of the www

geocities. com / scooterb4u / Scooters HT. html

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Brian...so how is the sound comapred to your Classy Emeralds? Have you listened to Sapphires? If you were to compare & contrast these equally well designed speakers
how would you characterize their sound & presentation?
You state that the AV-2's are your favorites to date....
have you had an oppurtunity to listen to the Criterion or the newer M-T-M version....dilculeo (sp?)

Not to hijack this threead too off base

DIY HE-10 signatures and Sealed Tempest for
great High efficiency speakers.

I still recall the great sound of North Creek
Borealis. My first taste of high qulaity DIY.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Carl,

I feel the A/V-1's and A/V-2's have better midrange and smoother highs than the Emeralds. Although I think they're still nice speakers too. I have not heard the Sapphires.

I heard a prototype of the Criterions before Danny switched to the Eton woofer. I really love the tweeters. I have not heard the Diluceo's yet either.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Man, Brian, I would have almost put money on you saying it was your awesome looking Tumult sub enclosure.

Cameron,

Thanks!

I have all kinds of pics including many constrution pics.
If you post your email I will send you some or is there a way to upload files to this BB.

Scott

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I built my North Creek Rhythms about a year ago. . . .Even though the kit included cabinet plans, they were the most rewarding speaker I have built. It took days and days to cut all of the pieces and assemble. My kids helped with the "glop", so that was a lot of fun. They were also the first speakers I have finished in something other than paint!!!!

They sound great. . . .I can sit and listen to them for hours!!!

Brian

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian,

Do you have any pictures of your Rhythms? I'm planning to build a pair as soon as I can sell my surround setup. Glad to hear you like them, I have high hopes for these.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks