Of the speakers you have built, which ones did you like best?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cameron_Peck, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy building things. Lately it has been speakers that have gotten my attention. I think I enjoy building the speakers more than using the speakers. There is a large sense of satisfaction when you get to look at (and listen to) the final product.

I was wondering, of all the speakers you all have built, what was the most satisfying? Not only the best sounding, but the most enjoyable to build.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I get the most satisfaction in building crossovers.

There's something about the melting and the flux fumes that just calms me down [​IMG]

I think I was most pleased when I first turned on a pair of GR-Research AV-3s.

3. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Did you also build A/V1+(2)? What are your thoughts between the two if you have?

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I love my A/V-2's the most of the speakers I've built. We just shipped off a pair of the new A/V-3 cabinets to Danny but I haven't heard them yet. If they have the same midrange quality as the A/V-2's and greater bass extension then those could become my favorites next.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I have the Classic Av-3, that I liked even before the sonicap upgrade which DID make an audible difference might I add. Sonicaps seem to make the speaker more refined and less fatiguing in the treble. They appear to have more realism and clear up a bit too. This was immediately distinctable between comparing two pairs of different AV3s.

Supposedly the new drivers in the AV-3s should have improved clarity with a slight sacrifice in bass production compared to the classic.

I have built a pair of AV-2s, and did like the SQ plenty. But listening to them by themselves I just prefer the more full sound of the AV-3s. Integrate a subwoofer with both of them, and It will probably be harder to tell the difference.

I guess I could also add that my favorite loudspeaker to date is the Linkwitzlab Phoenix dipole. I suppose the Linkwitz Orion could even be far my favorite DIY speaker although I've never built one. [​IMG]

It's definitely on my to do list though...

6. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info.
    Btw, the best speaker I have built is the Tempest sub.
    It is also the only speaker I have built.

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

ported HE12's mated with a 122L Tempest

8. scott besancon

Hi,

The only speaker I built is my center. I used 2 Klipsch 10" copper woofers, 90x60 horn for the mid, and a EV T35 (aka klipsch k77) horn tweeter. Spent 30 hours of design and 6 days to build. If you want to check it out got to my web page. Since I am new here it it won't let me post my web address so I am trying to get around it. I put spaces between. just put your curser between each one and backspace. had to leave of the www

geocities. com / scooterb4u / Scooters HT. html

9. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

Brian...so how is the sound comapred to your Classy Emeralds? Have you listened to Sapphires? If you were to compare & contrast these equally well designed speakers
    how would you characterize their sound & presentation?
    You state that the AV-2's are your favorites to date....
    have you had an oppurtunity to listen to the Criterion or the newer M-T-M version....dilculeo (sp?)

Not to hijack this threead too off base

DIY HE-10 signatures and Sealed Tempest for
    great High efficiency speakers.

I still recall the great sound of North Creek
    Borealis. My first taste of high qulaity DIY.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Carl,

I feel the A/V-1's and A/V-2's have better midrange and smoother highs than the Emeralds. Although I think they're still nice speakers too. I have not heard the Sapphires.

I heard a prototype of the Criterions before Danny switched to the Eton woofer. I really love the tweeters. I have not heard the Diluceo's yet either.

11. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

Scott: I really like that center channel speaker. Do you have any close-ups of it?

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Man, Brian, I would have almost put money on you saying it was your awesome looking Tumult sub enclosure.

13. scott besancon

Cameron,

Thanks!

I have all kinds of pics including many constrution pics.
    If you post your email I will send you some or is there a way to upload files to this BB.

Scott

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gabriel,

I differentiate speakers and subs. Obviously, my Tumult is my favorite subwoofer! [​IMG]

15. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

I built my North Creek Rhythms about a year ago. . . .Even though the kit included cabinet plans, they were the most rewarding speaker I have built. It took days and days to cut all of the pieces and assemble. My kids helped with the "glop", so that was a lot of fun. They were also the first speakers I have finished in something other than paint!!!!

They sound great. . . .I can sit and listen to them for hours!!!

Brian

16. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Hey Brian,

Do you have any pictures of your Rhythms? I'm planning to build a pair as soon as I can sell my surround setup. Glad to hear you like them, I have high hopes for these.

George

17. Brian-K-Owens

There are a couple of pictures of them on my website:

http://bkolfo4.freeservers.com/photo.html

I really like them. My electronics are geared more toward Home Theater, but they still sound great for music. The Blueprint 1803 in the sonotube is gone and has been replace by a pair of sealed Tumults.

Brian

18. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

19. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Your speakers look great Brian. Are you still selling your Borealises?

George

20. Brian-K-Owens

No longer for sale. I actually found a way to use them as surrounds in the new house!!!!

Brian