What's new

Of Human Bojndage - Davis - Best version? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would like to buy a dvd of Of Human Bondage with Bette davis. This movie is public domain and there seem to be a lot of versions.
Which is the best, especially the sound. I don't mind noise, but I do want crisp dialogue and music.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Based on user reviews I've read, I ordered this version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I can't really *guarantee* it's the best, as I haven't bought all the other cheapie versions and compared them. But ROAN seem to have the best reputation in general.

Does anyone out there know if Warner has plans to release Of Human Bondage? They aired it on TCM when Bette Davis was Star of the Month ...but not in Canada, for some reason, so I couldn't check the quality of their print. Did they just run a public domain version, or do they have their own version? TCM ran a promo with brief clips from the film, and the footage looked like it was in good shape...but it's hard to judge.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I own the Roan version and watched it some time ago. I'm not as sensitive to picture problems as some, but I had no issues with this disc and the dialogue was completely understandable.

JamesPMurphy

Auditioning
I had the Alpha version--thunderous noise on the soundtrack. I now have the Roan version which seems to have used the same print, at least the damage marks are very similar to my eye. The soundtrack is much, much quieter, and the picture is better (not sure how to quantify that). I can't comment on any of the other versions.

There is a list of titles "Also Available from Warner Home Video" at the end of the Leslie Howard bio in the "Gone with the Wind" mega-set. Included in the list is "Of Human Bondage." I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since.

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest that you wait till the next Warner chat and then ask them if they own/are gonna release it

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt I'll be able to get in the chat, but I hope *someone* asks about the movie... In the meantime I sure wish somebody who caught the TCM airing would share their thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks