What's new

OARs of Disney Animated Movies (1 Viewer)

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know the OARs of the Disney animated movies? I'm talking about the 41 that started with Snow White and ends most recently with Atlantis. I know the bulk of them are academy thus the shape of a 4:3 television. Which movies were made in 2:35:1 and 1:85:1?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
2.35:1 movies except Atlantis include Lady and the tramp, Sleeping beauty and The black cauldron (Possibly 2.20:1)
The majority of movies, if I have understood correctly were produced at something like 1.66:1, intended for theatrical projection at 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 for home video. (Super35 for animated features :) )
There are plenty of Disney aficionados on the forum. Now that I have opened my mouth, every one of them will start crawling out of the woodwork and interpret the Super35 remark seriously
biggrin.gif

------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... well... I think I can safely say that all of Disney's animated features up to Lady And The Tramp were filmed with the standard 'Academy aperture' (1.37:1)...
. . .
redface.gif
. . .

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I agree to what Hendrik said and to the first paragraph of what Bjørn Olav said (hei til deg, forresten).
Thus we have covered all titles through the 1950's and The Black Cauldron (1985).
This is what I think about what's left:
101 Dalmatians (NOT DalmatiOns) (1961) up to somewhere about Robin Hood (1973) had, as far as I understand, theatrical aspect ratios of 1.66-1.85:1 (or 1.75:1 as the imdb used to list). The 4:3 video versions are not P&S, but rather "open matte" presentations.
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh is 1.33:1.
The Rescuers (1977) and up (not including TBC and Atlantis) have OAR of 1.66-1.85:1. 4:3 video versions are cropped.
I would of course like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hi everybody,

I'd like to resurrect this thread because I saw THE FOX & THE HOUND in one of the shops and it is 1.33:1. If this film is truly open matte then I can accept it but if it is pan & scan I will wait. Does anyone have any information other than what has been mentioned by the helpful folks above? Thanks.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I think all the flat Disney animated movies were produced at 1.33:1 (but with intended theatrical aspect ratios of 1.66:1-1.85:1) up until, oh, The Fox and the Hound. So that one is open-matte on DVD.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Fox and the Hound is the last of the "classics" animated for 1.33:1 and matted for theaters. Disney has been good about giving us animated films in original aspect ratio (as opposed to the disaster that is their live-action films). Even though there is some uncertainty as to what is the proper ratio for the animated films from 1961 - 1981 that are Fullscreen on DVD, I have no reason to believe that the DVD presentations are compromising anything and that Disney decided only to release those ones in Pan & Scan. Seems like a matter of either IMDb having erroneous info, or just having the ratios compromised for theatrical matting.
Buy without worry before they put it back in the vaults!!! ;)
:D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The films made in non-widescreen processes like Panavision or Technirama were filmed at 1.33:1 (CAPS films made after Little Mermaid are hard-matted 1.66:1) and meant to be seen from 1.33:1 to 1.85:1.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, Lady and the Tramp was animated for academy ratio (1.37:1), and then reformatted for Cinemascope. Not the other way around, as is the common misconception.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
So the fact the the eye line between Lady & Tramp during the dinner sequence is off in the full-frame version, while the 2.35 presentation is dead on is a fluke?

Daniel L

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Lady & Tramp was composed and shot twice Cinemascope and Academy

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The only one I can speak for is 101 Dalmatians. I saw this during it's last theatrical release several years ago. It was shown windowboxed at 1.37:1 on a flat print, the same as the recent re-release of Wizard of Oz.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Lady & Tramp was composed and shot twice Cinemascope and Academy
This was my understanding as well.

One of the 'Scope version's most famous scenes (the walk across the bridge during their first night together) looks decidedly claustrophobic in it's "Academy" iteration.

Disney did it both ways for this release due to the scarcity at the time of theaters that were able to properly present 'Scope.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, LADY AND THE TRAMP was created in two versions. The CinemaScope version does not simply matte the top and the bottom. SLEEPING BEAUTY was also 2:35 to 1.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Umm...Why would Disney produce (animate) a movie at 1.33 with an intended theater ratio of 1.85? I mean, why would they go through the trouble and time of drawing and coloring the top and bottom of the frame if they knew it was going to be matted anyway?

Normally I would agree that the widescreen version of a movie that was shot in full frame but intended to be matted, and was in fact matted for theatrical showing, is the correct OAR. I agree because the matted, or widescreen, version, is the intended version. But I'm not so sure what to think in this case, because as I said, I can't understand why a full frame would be animated if only part of it was intended to be seen. It sounds like a big waste of time, effort, and money.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Justin,
Well, I'm pretty sure that these days they aren't doing 1.33:1. I thought the current films, all animated using the CAPS system, were animated at 1.66:1 for that same projection in Europe and 1.85:1 in the USA.
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong. :)

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent. I had read that Robin Hood was panscan rubbish, and then I refused to buy it. Now I will buy it!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

I think a possible reason for this is because Mr. Disney was well aware of the importance of television, and he knew that most of the films would end up on TV someday. Does anyone have any hard info to support this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks