What's new

o dear god , please don't let this happen. wizard of oz followup... (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
They might want to (or have to) consider another title since there was a 1998 film called Link Removed, although, by all appearances, there would be no confusion between the two. The only reason the title rung a bell was it played at Roger Ebert's first film festival, but I don't think it has anything to do with The Wizard of Oz.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There have already been countless "sequels" and variations on The Wizard of Oz, so this is hardly a surpise.
I have zero interest in seeing any of them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frank L Baum wrote 4-5 books
Ozma of Oz should be the source of any sequel. Gotta wonder if he was secretly a trannsexual :)
They hid the true Queen of Oz by magically transforming her into a boy

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Didn't Disney do a sequel to Wizard of Oz back in the 80's? Called Return to Oz, a creepy film without musical numbers, Dorothy was taken to a mad scientist to try and cure her of 'bad dreams', I thought the film was heavy handed and depressing with some interesting effects, one interpretation is that the hospitals evil looking machinery and witch-like nurse, plus a lightning storm outside terrifies Dorothy into complete insanity, and she never escapes her dreams. Children must have loved this.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Disney do a sequel to Wizard of Oz back in the 80's? Called Return to Oz, a creepy film without musical numbers, Dorothy was taken to a mad scientist to try and cure her of 'bad dreams',
Actually she's taken to a mental institution for shock treatments. It's very loosly based on Ozma and the actual novel "return to Oz"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why no one had mentioned 1985's reasonably good Return to Oz with Nicole Williamson. Decent film. Leave to Steve Christou in the end. :)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I was wondering why no one had mentioned 1985's reasonably good Return to Oz with Nicole Williamson. Decent film. Leave to Steve Christou in the end.
Didn't Fairuza Balk (who will always be fondly remembered by me as the girl who ran into the wall in 'Almost Famous') play Dorothy in that?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
BTW, I rather like that film myself, and especially thought Balk was quite good.
But its creepy by comparison with the very bright and shiny WoOz classic.
I have no problem with such a sequel to be honest. If it's a good film then I'd love some more of these twisted worlds (not unlike Alice in Wonderland and its variations). If it sucks, well, I have no use for ANY film that sucks, remake or otherwise.
I used to get bent out of shape over remakes/sequels/TV show films, and I still often think they sound like bad ideas (and usually end up being bad), but I seperate them from any original film. I let them have their shot to be good or bad on their own.
It's one reason the revisit to Red Dragon doesn't bug me in the least, though I still like the angle Manhunter went with a little better (and to be honest I rather enjoyed Brian Cox as Hannibal...great actor).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Any number of excellent movies could be made from the wonderful 'Oz' books by Baum.
The original Judy Garland musical is great in its own right (but VERY different from the mood of the books).
Anybody who hates then 1985 'Return' film would likely hate the original books, which were very revered in the early 20th century and ultimately led to many movies including the musical.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I liked "Return to Oz". My only beef was that since I was pretty young at the time I saw it, I didnt understand how come the actors were all different. Now, though, I'm pretty OK with it.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I never could get into the original wizard of oz no matter how many times they played it as I was growing up. Return to Oz I think is a classic although it doesn't have a large fan base. it's very similar in tone to the original Oz books (of which I believe baum wrote 12 or 13, quite a few written later on by other people). Don't know why people assume children's books/movies can't or shouldn't be frightening. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the non-dorothy oz books either.
I wouldn't mind hearing more about this if they kept the tone of the books. I'd even give drew barrymore a chance then;)
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks