What's new

Now I Have A Buzz? (1 Viewer)

Hey all.
Well I just went and did a swap from a Rotel RMB 1075 to an RMB 1095 amp.With the 1075 connected I did not hear any kind of buzzing noise at all.But now the 1095 is giving me a kinda loud buzz out of all my speakers.I do not have a dedicated circuit for my system.I do use a Monster HTS 5000
Power Center. I am running the RSP 1066 processor and
Klipsh RF7,RC7,RSW7 speakers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.Am feeling a little
sick to my stomach right now.:frowning:

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
John,

Disconnect your cable from your system. If this makes the buzz go away, you have a ground loop problem. If this is the case, you can get a cable ground loop isolator from Radio Shack. Another "fix" would be a cheater plug. Three prongs into two prongs, into the wall. This isn't entirely safe, because you've eliminated the ground from a piece of high current gear. The cable GL isolator is pretty cheap. There are a ton of other options, just do a google search for ground loop isolation.

Don't give up, you got a great amplifier...but it is high power, and the buzz is pretty common.

Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
You may also want to check into a dedicated, isolated circuit for your amplifier. It's prettty quick and easy if you're familiar with electricity or one of your buddies is.

Jeremy

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
If you have any kind of dimmer swithches (such as those found in halogen floorlamps) in the same room (thus most likely on the same circuit), this can cause a ground loop with subsequent humming/buzzing. I was hearing a loud buzz with my speakers before switching to a normal bulb lamp. Now the buzzing is gone. If you do have a dimmer, test it on full light and then on dimmed light - the loudest buzz will occur when the dimmer is in use (dimmed light).

MiltK

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 1095 and my speakers buzz as well. So does my dealers demo unit. This buzz in the tweeter is still audible when the amplifier is completely isolated from from all preamp, cable, satellite, etc. I have tried a PS Audio ultimate outlet and other power conditioners with no results. Lifting the ground with a cheater plug did not work and its just not safe to do this. I won't buy a very expensive power regenerator that is more expensive than the amp so thats not an option. I would check and see if your dealer's demo unit has the buzz, if not get yours replaced or swap yours with your dealers demo unit. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
John,it sounds to me that you have a faulty unit:frowning: If your 1075 did not buzz,there is no reason for the 1095 to buzz.Try E-mailing Rotel,I E-mailed them 3 questions last week and they got back to me within the hour.From my experience a ground loop is more of a humming than a buzzing.

I did notice when I had the 1075 the power cord was not a

grounded one,so no humm/buzz?The store where I bought the amp said to use a cheater plug,that they do it all the time?I did e-mail rotel so lets see what they say.I also thought the $700.00

Monster power center I use would have helped.

I used a small one outlet surge supressor that I had at

work and cut the ground off and the humm is barley audible now.Still there a little.Tell me if this is ok,

where my amp plugs into the power center is where i put the

plug.seems to only come from the horn tweeters.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
If you cut the ground prong off where you plug into the wall then this is potentially dangerous. If a loose wire inside the amp touches the amp's metal case you could be shocked. :eek: This is not an acceptable fix for amp hum!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Yes David, it isn't COMPLETELY safe, but the chance are slim regardless.

I've used cheater plugs on many appliances and components over the years and have never been adversely affected. Rotel amps are well built and the chances of an internal short are slim. Also, an internal short will also throw the breaker quicker than you can touch it and get a shock.

I own the Rotel 1090 and have had a cheater plug AND cable ground loop isolator on mine for months, no problems.

Jeremy

Thanks guys;
I would be interested in the ground loop isolator,where
I would be able to purchase one,and how they work.
By the way Tim Wyatt at Rotel Answered my 2 e-mails tody in about 20 minutes.I just wanted to say thank you for your help.
I did take off my home made cheater plug and will buy
another one tomorrow.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks