What's new

Not one but *two* supermassive black holes discovered in another galaxy. (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Whenever these subjects come up I find it impossible to pull myself away.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I have a question regarding the timeframes mentioned. The article mentioned that the merger should happen in the next couple hundred million years. It later stated that the galaxy was 400 million light years away.

Doesn't this mean that the huge "event" that is supposed to happen has likely already happened? After all, we are seeing the galaxy as it existed 400 million years ago. Or was that delay already factored in?

EugeneR

Second Unit

I imagine the delay was already figured in.

The real question is, with such cataclysmic events on the way, should we still upgrade?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I've already decreed (it's official!) that no Apocalyptic event that will affect Earth can happen before mid-2004.
(There, now we have the Matrix sequels, Return of the King and Star Wars: Episode III covered. Y'all can breathe easy)
(edited for, uh, spelling. Your Queen of the Universe is a lousy speller)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, now I personally can name three super-massive black holes. These two and my 401k!
By the way, let me be the first to thank the self-proclaimed "Queen of the Universe" for delaying Apocalyptic events ;) Thats why she is the Queen!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I imagine the delay was already figured in.
I doubt this very seriously. We (scientists & astronomers) don't care one whit when events really happen in the cosmos. We care only when we actually experience or see the events. Only when questions about the origins of the Universe come up, or as a minor point of curiosity, do we begin to place events on an absolute timetable.

And, according to Einstein, it doesn't happen until you see it, making the endeavor of creating an absolute timetable based on simultaneity of events throughout the Universe an impossible endeavor, since it would necessarily violate the laws of physics.

The reporter's possible penchant for performing quick calculations to enhance an article's impact notwithstanding, I'm quite sure that the delay has not been factored in.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Does this mean we might die?

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On a more serious note, this is very interesting.

Ian Wilson

Agent
But this is only the first they`ve found. Given the vastness of the universe, I can't imagine that a collision hasn`t already occurred somewhere else. We just haven't observed it yet.

Ian

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
These gravitational waves will spread through the universe and produce ripples in the fabric of space, which would appear as minute changes in the distance between any two points.
I just figured out how to fold space! Warp drive = who needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks