What's new

not getting out bass (1 Viewer)

emile engel

Auditioning
Hi there,

got a yamaha receiver RX430 with yamaha speaker package NSP230's with active sub.

When playing dvd's there is plenty bass, but when i watch
tv with sound thru the receiver the bass is low. I;ve connected rca cables right & left out from my tv to the tv
input on my receiver.

the sub is connected with a single rca cable from the receiver and the speakers are connected using the cables provided.
all the speakers are set to "small" with the sub set to "sub". Is the bass low because output to the sub is only when dvd's are playing?
Is there anything i can do to improve this

Also i've noticed that when playing dvd's theres black stripes at the bottom portion of the screen, is my dvd player setup wrong or faulty or is it the dvd itself.

Looking to replace the speakers, any recommendations for speakers that match the receiver. like to listen to rap, jazz , alternative music.

Any help will be appreciated

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
TV here in the States has little bass content in my experience. To get DVD-type bass, my sub level is about 5 clicks higher than in DD. So to me, your situation seems normal.

The stripes are NOT the "letterbox" stripes, right?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If there's no bass to speak of in the program material, you're not going to get said bass through your LFE/subwoofer. Relax. It's the way it should be. What you want is accurate sound, not a non-stop boomfest.

emile engel

Auditioning
stripes are NOT the letterbox stripes. Could it be
electrical interference or this "coma" bug i hear about?

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Emile,

The bass or LFE (low frequency effects) is recorded and played back by your DVD at various levels (volumes) according to the whether the material is formatted in Dolby Mono/Stero, Dolby Digital, or DTS. The level of the LFE is usually corrected by making adjustments within the reciever/processor via a on-screen menu. Most newer Yamaha receivers allow for this individual adjustment. For instance, I have my DOLBY DIGITAL LFE set slightly different than my DTS LFE levels to keep the bass consistent with both formats on my Yamaha RV-X1000. Currently, regular TV veiwing will provide the least amount of LFE.

As for the lines, can you be more specific...or better yet, provide pictures of the screen. Sounds like a possible source connection problem, such a your DVD video cable. Are you using S-Video, Composite or Component connections from the DVD unit to the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks