What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

North by Northwest (1959)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Title: North by Northwest

Tagline: It's a deadly game of 'tag' and Cary Grant is 'it'...

Genre: Mystery, Thriller

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Cast: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Jessie Royce Landis, Leo G. Carroll, Josephine Hutchinson, Philip Ober, Martin Landau, Adam Williams, Edward Platt, Robert Ellenstein, Les Tremayne, Philip Coolidge, Patrick McVey, Edward Binns, Ken Lynch, Nora Marlowe, Doreen Lang, John Beradino, Ned Glass, Tol Avery, Malcolm Atterbury, Maudie Prickett, Bess Flowers, Stanley Adams, Andy Albin, Ernest Anderson, Frank Wilcox, Brandon Beach, Steve Carruthers, Taggart Casey, Bill Catching, Walter Coy, Jimmy Cross, Patricia Cutts, Jack Daly, John Damler, Lawrence Dobkin, Tommy Farrell, Jesslyn Fax, Adolph Faylauer, Sally Fraser, Paul Genge, James Gonzalez, Tom Greenway, Robert Haines, Stuart Hall, Alfred Hitchcock, Stuart Holmes, Eugene Jackson, Bobby Johnson, Kenner G. Kemp, Madge Kennedy, Colin Kenny, Carl M. Leviness, Alexander Lockwood, Frank Marlowe, Baynes Barron, Thomas Martin, James McCallion, Maura McGiveney, Carl Milletaire, Hans Moebus, Howard Negley, Monty O'Grady, Ralph Reed, John Roy, Jeffrey Sayre, Scott Seaton, Harry Seymour, Robert Shayne, Jeremy Slate, Olan Soule, Helen Spring, Harvey Stephens, Harry Strang, Arthur Tovey, Dale van Sickel, Lloyd Williams, Robert B. Williams, Paula Winslowe, Wilson Wood, Carleton Young, Dick Johnstone, Bert Stevens, Cosmo Sardo, Don Anderson, Alphonso DuBois, Len Hendry

Release: 1959-07-08

Runtime: 136

Plot: Advertising man Roger Thornhill is mistaken for a spy, triggering a deadly cross-country chase.

762_large.jpg

We are about to watch this classic Hitchcock film over here. It is one I never had the opportunity to see before now. But I have heard a lot of good things about it. Thoughts on this one?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fantastic film! It's not my very favorite Hitchcock or Cary Grant film, but it is very close to the top of both lists - wonderful suspense, great humor, fantastic performances, lovely cast.

Last year, I embarked on a project to view every single Cary Grant film, and I wrote about this one when I got to it in my thread here:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4383033/

You may not want to read that until after you watch the movie, but afterwards, we had a nice little discussion on HTF about it that you might enjoy reading. Most importantly, I hope you love the movie as much as I did!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Fantastic movie. One of my favorite Hitchcock films and perhaps in my top 20 of all time. Cary Grant is perfectly suave and debonair. Eva Marie Saint is heavenly sweet and diabolical. And Martin Laundau and James Mason are at their best playing the heavies. "Yes, mother."

2014-06-19-northbynorthwest.jpg

large_north_by_northwest_blu-ray1n.jpeg

north_by_northwest_58505-1920x1080.jpg

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
*SPOILER BELOW*

It also contains one of the greatest examples of screenwriting economics ever put to film:
Hench man killed, bad guy arrested, girl saved, hero marries girl, they go on their honey moon, have sex.
This all happens, convincingly, in the space of about five seconds.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
*SPOILER BELOW*

It also contains one of the greatest examples of screenwriting economics ever put to film:
Hench man killed, bad guy arrested, girl saved, hero marries girl, they go on their honey moon, have sex.
This all happens, convincingly, in the space of about five seconds.
Hmm. Some of that sounds a little to true to life. :D Wait...don't forget the tunnel. ;)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks