What's new

No Weird Al thread? You bunch of unwashed Heathens! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
You know what's sad? When Weird Al releases a new CD and you don't recognize ANY of the songs in the polka melody.

Christ I'm getting old. . . . .

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's the problem. Somewhere along the line, he started to parody songs I didn't want to hear in any form. He's still brilliant, but his sources . . . not so much. Last I heard were his free internet tracks, and they were good. One was a style parody of the Doors, which is more my language.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Alpocalypse for $4 today: http://www.amazon.com/Alpocalypse-Digital-Booklet/dp/B00560F9LO/ref=amb_link_356660242_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0G6ERZHMFA4YS3WVBVHY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1306298442&pf_rd_i=163856011

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

That's the problem. Somewhere along the line, he started to parody songs I didn't want to hear in any form. He's still brilliant, but his sources . . . not so much. Last I heard were his free internet tracks, and they were good. One was a style parody of the Doors, which is more my language.

I agree. I loved his Doors parody and the video was great too. He is great though

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well after a couple of listens, I think I'm much like Greg. My insulation from todays modern music leaves me scratching my head at the parodies on the disc. That said, the original stuff (like the one done in the Jim Steinman/Meatloaf style) is pretty strong. Al really is a creative dude.

So, not nearly as good as his early albums, but that's more my fault than Al's fault.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Any comments on the DVD in the Deluxe edition? The videos included with the last album were terrible. I'm wondering if this one's worth getting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I know he gets his fame from Parodies, but I've always loved his originals. This album is no exception. Of course, the issue is many of these were available on "Internet Leaks" but it's OK, I'd grab it again.

As far as I'm concerned "Skipper Dan" is one of the better flat out dark songs he's put out in years. It's one of those great songs about "well, I thought my life would be X.. boy, it didn't work out..."

It's a brilliant folk / early rock song. Love it "What have I done with my life" "I should have listened to my grandfather, and majored in Business instead.."

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Any comments on the DVD in the Deluxe edition? The videos included with the last album were terrible. I'm wondering if this one's worth getting.

The one from JibJab was pretty cool (they did CNR), but I really dig their animation style. Please Don't Foward that Crap to Me is weird with just a hint of lame (It's the lyrics to the song flying about on the screen), so it's the weak link of the DVD. There was one by Bill Plimpton that it looked good enough, but I don't like his art style - so that one was a miss for me. The one for the song done in the Doors style was a freaky/trippy 60's pastiche and was probably the best one of the bunch.

All in all, a mixed bag. Some were well done, some not so much. But I figure for 3 bucks more, I'm willing to splurge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks