What's new

No Substitute for SPL Meter? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently ordered the AVIA DVD so that I can calibrate my HT. Now I'm not completely sure if I can get hold of an SPL meter to measure my speaker's output. Is there an alternative to this?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, no.

I'm not sure if your asking if there is a subtitute way to measuring SPL or if there is a substitute to the specific radioshack meter.

In order to set the output level the same, you have to measure the output level- the only wat to do that is a SPL meter. If you're thinking of a substitute method to get a quantitive measure of Sound Pressue, I'd be curious as to what you had in mind.

However, You can get ones other than the Radio Shack meter (there are dozens of models out there)-- but getting a RS meter should be super easy as they are carried in all RS locations, and there is usually one within a 15 minute drive of anywhere in the US!

-Vince

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I haven't tried it, but what about a high-end tape recorder with sound-level meters on the front panel? Maybe not precise enough?

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Marc,

A couple of problems that quickly come to mind with that approach:

- how accurate is the microphone (and what adjustments would be necessary to the resulting curve to equate to a flat response)?

- can't imagine the meters on the front of the unit will be sensitive enough (they often vary by 3dB or more between LEDs, assuming an LED meter)

Interesting idea though.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That is an interesting idea. Another problem: It has been many years since anyone manufactured a cassette deck with mic inputs. An older deck with analog meters (we’re probably talking no later than the early 80s here) would do the trick, using the 0dB point on the scale as a reference.

Calibrating the sub would be the trick, however. Typically budget mics like you would use for this do not get good low frequency response.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Actually, I was only daydreaming. I'm sure you're right about these decks being old. Over my right shoulder as I write this is my deck with two meters. I bought it in the mid-1970s! The meters are called "VU" meters. I don't remember what VU stands for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks