What's new

No sound from Sub (1 Viewer)

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
No this is not a newbie set-up question :)
I have the Energy Take 5.2 speakers and S8.2 Sub. I have had them since about February. I watched a movie earlier tonight and it sounded great as usual. I popped in Toy Story 2 about 10 minutes ago and I have no sound from my sub at all. I am pretty sure it's the Sub because it got a signal from my reciever when the LFE kicked in. (the light came ON on the sub) I tried switching cables and it didn't work. So I am pretty sure its the sub now. I get no feedback when switching cables or anything. Is there anything I can do? Will Energy fix it or replace it. Or do I have to contact the place where I bought it. Anyone have any suggestions, or am I screwed and have to buy an SVS? :D
Thanks,
Russell

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Not that I can see from the outside. Where could I find it if I opened it up? I am experienced with doing electrical work. Anyone have any ideas?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What has me concerned though is the presence of the sub's light which means power is present. If the fuse or CP was gone, then there should be no light. If you have a meter, maybe you could try measuring the resistance of the driver/coil. An open circuit would indicate a problem in that area.

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds a little more serious that I thought. I heard no noise from the speaker or anything. One second it was working, one second it was not. Who knows? I am going to contact Energy and the place I bought the speakers.
Thanks for the help. If all else fails I will get a SVS 25-31PCi, I'm sure my neighbors will love that. :D

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I made the energy to svs 25-31 pc upgrade and I didn't even have the excuse that the energy was dead.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If it is still under warranty, then they can fix it and you can use it as a dedicated surround sub, with the 25-31 up front. :)

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I think i will be able to get it fixed under warranty. If I can, I am going to have to wait on the SVS sub. I'm getting married soon, plus I live in an apartment. So, we will see. I figured this was a good excuse to get a new sub but I need to upgade my Reciever first. I have a 3 year old Pioneer Receiver that needs to be replaced first. But, on the other hand, that sub is getting replaced faster than you can say 'subsonic' if they won't fix it for free. :D

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like I am going to be able to get it fixed, but it is going to take a long time. about 2 weeks to get it fixed once it gets there. so that mean probably almost a month with no Sub!!! NOOOO WHY ME!!! Contemplating buying the SVS and selling the Energy Sub once fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks