What's new

No sound from satellite box (1 Viewer)

dardardk

Auditioning
Real Name
Darin
I am setting up my Yamaha RX V363 to use my SAT TV set top box Motorolla HDDR600. I connect HDMI from SAT to receiver DTV/CBL then HDMI out to TV. The video works when I use the output control on my receiver but I get no sound through the receiver. I do not have ARC HDMI and my Samsung TV does not have optical audio Out. My SAT box has RCA audio out ports so I connected them to my receiver audio DTV/CBL RCA jacks. Still no sound.
Do I have any other options considering my TV no Audio out component?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome.

Without ARC support your TV will not be able to output audio via HDMI so you're limited to whatever additional audio out methods are supported by the TV. Since you've connected the TV's audio out to the receivers DTV/CBL in, you'll have to select that source on the receiver to hear audio. From what you've written it sounds like you have the physical connections correct. Check the following.

1. Make sure the TV is set to output sound via the correct method. For Samsung TV's this is usually a single mini stereo 3.5mm jack similar to a PC's sound card labeled "Audio Out" which means you'll need a mini stereo to RCA cable. Once you've verified the physical connection you'll need to switch to this output in the Sound menu of the TV.
  2. On the receiver end, make sure you've assigned the HDMI input you're using to DTV/CBL.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Can you get sound out of your TV speakers?

Looking at your receiver’s manual online, the hdmi signal passes through to the TV and is not split out to the receiver. The manual suggests hooking up analog connectors to get sound to the receiver. So it looks like you did the right thing in hooking up the rca jacks. On page 31 of the manual, it talks about setting up the audio select to pick the input source. It looks like you need to manually set up the analog jacks as the input for audio for the dtv/cal input as it defaults to the digital connector. Have you done that step?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wait a minute...

The way you have it connected *should* work, but Mike's post makes me wonder if this receiver is so old and unusual that it does hdmi switching, but doesn't extract audio from the hdmi. I honestly can't remember if such receivers ever existed.

ARC is clearly not an issue.

When I have time, I'll try to take a look at the manual to see if this receiver truly doesn't get audio from hdmi. That would be odd.

dardardk

Auditioning
Real Name
Darin
I am assuming nothing will work with the TV to get sound to the receiver. But I thought I should at least get stereo audio from SAT box by linking it to receiver with RCA. I am pretty certain they are Audio Out as there is no need to receive audio to the SAT box. My only other option would be eliminate HDMI and use all RCA

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
This receiver predates ARC and indeed does not extract audio from the hdmi feed. The manual explicitly details this in multiple places (See for example, pg 14 under hdmi information; pg 16 under audio connections; and page 55 under troubleshooting: no sound).

Darin, I think your setup can work if you assign the audio for the dtv/cab input to the rca inputs you have connected, as detailed on page 31 of the manual (readily available online). Have you tried the assignment procedure? This is the step recommended under the troubleshooting reference in the manual cited above. (Google search “Yamaha RX v363 manual“, you’ll find it in seconds.)

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, but ARC and audio in HDMI are two entirely different things. hdmi was passing audio for a decade before ARC existed. HDMI has *always* carried audio.

Possibly, maybe possibly, there was the rare very early HDMI receiver that couldn’t take audio from HDMI, but I don’t recall any.

We need to get our info correct here.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyway...

Like I said earlier, maybe there were early low end receivers that had hdmi switching, but didn't have hdmi audio. That's certainly possible. It has nothing to do with ARC, which didn't exist when that receiver was made.

Without looking at the manual, if that is the case, you might have to assign the input on the receiver to use the RCA connection, as Mike said, but you also might have to set the analog audio output on the TV to "Fixed" instead of variable, if it has that option.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, so that receiver has hdmi switching but no hdmi audio.

That creates several options of how to connect things, but none of them is very good. You have to use whatever audio output your cable box has. If that's just two channel RCA, then you're stuck with two channel audio, which the receiver can matrix with DPLII. If the cable box has a digital audio output, that would be better. I didn't read enough of the manual to see if/how you can assign inputs, but I expect it's in there somewhere, if it can be done.

dardardk

Auditioning
Real Name
Darin
Can you get sound out of your TV speakers?

Looking at your receiver’s manual online, the hdmi signal passes through to the TV and is not split out to the receiver. The manual suggests hooking up analog connectors to get sound to the receiver. So it looks like you did the right thing in hooking up the rca jacks. On page 31 of the manual, it talks about setting up the audio select to pick the input source. It looks like you need to manually set up the analog jacks as the input for audio for the dtv/cal input as it defaults to the digital connector. Have you done that step?
That did the trick.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Sorry, but ARC and audio in HDMI are two entirely different things. hdmi was passing audio for a decade before ARC existed. HDMI has *always* carried audio.

Possibly, maybe possibly, there was the rare very early HDMI receiver that couldn’t take audio from HDMI, but I don’t recall any.

We need to get our info correct here.
Please show me one place in my posts where I did not have correct information. I can show you multiple places in yours (hmmm, maybe his receiver is damaged?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks