What's new

No Red Tint for US Spirited Away (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3024
They say they mastered the disc for 9300k system televisions (LCD/Plasma???) and not the standard 6500k for NTSC. That's why it looks red on our TVs according to Toshio Suzuki.
He also says that the US version will be done for 6500k, so while the image will still have the encouragement of red that Miyazaki-sensei wants, we won't be dealing with pink whites.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Guess I should have waited. I went ahead and ordered the Korean R3 (DTS) version. Anyone know if this one will be 'red' too?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
AFAIK the Korean version is red too. If memory serves, only the French version isn't so far.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
No release date yet. Many people are guessing that they are going to wait until after the Oscars, as it has a very good chance of winning one.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I have the R3 release and didn't notice a red tint. However, it's not the sharpest transfer I've ever seen, either... :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, which R3 release? Korea or Hong Kong?

The HK release is identical to the Japanese, and it's wonderful other than the horrible red tint

The Korean disc did correct the tint, but this introduced flaws when they recompressed the files, which may be the problem you're haing.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
What is strange is that mastering to D65 is not a "US" thing but an international standard for telecine. No matter WHAT television the typical Japanese viewer had, a movie mastered to 9300K would look different than everything else they watched: other DVDs, broadcast television, etc.

Sounds like someone screwed up big time and is trying to cover their tracks.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks