Question about Spirited Away DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Vincent-P, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

I just read on IMDB about the lawsuit with Disney over a red tint on the DVD of Spirited Away. I wanted to know more about this, so I found this website that has some comparison screenshots of different region releases

btinternet.com/~lawrencium2/senss.html

On the page, it has this comment "Following shows evidence that the US angle was taken from the telecine print
    - US DVD on the left, Japanese DVD on the right:"

It then shows two screenshots of a blue screen with the outline of a rabbit-looking creature. The one from the US release appears zoomed in compared to the Japanese release.

What does the comment mean? I don't understand what it means by the telecine print. Why would there be a zoom, when all the other comparison screenshots appear to be the exact screen frames with no zooming.

2. andrew markworthy

Vincent - having read through the articles, I'm afraid I'm probably as much in the dark as you. However, I would say that the side by side comparisons can be quite deceptive.

I have the Japanese edition and I've got to say that the pink tint (I think 'red' is overstating it) really isn't very noticeable when you're watching it. This is down to a phenomenon called colour constancy. Basically, your visual system is superb at adjusting to even very extreme changes in the colour of ambient lighting conditions. E.g. when you walk out of your house you don't notice a change from yellow to blue light - your eyes instantly compensate for this (try doing the same thing with a video camera unless you have an automatic daylight compensation gizmo!). The result of this is that for most of the movie you are pretty much unaware that the colour balance is on the pinkish side - only some of the title pictures (BTW the 'rabbit-looking creature' is from My Neighbour Totoro)really give it away. However, in side by side comparisons, the difference looks far more 'in your face' than it is.

I also agree with the comments on the page that some of the other versions of the movie aren't much better.

Does anyone know how the pink tint came to get past quality control? Other Ghibli products have been of rather higher standard. It's not intentional is it?

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

It seems an awkward way of putting what the site author points out on his main page, namely that the English credit sequences on the American DVD were made by film-to-video transfer [telecine] from an American theatrical print. Owing, I guess, to the printing process going from original elements to theatrical print [remembering that the telecine for the rest of the film is that done by the Japanese, presumably from Internegative or Interpositive before addition of sound tracks &c.], the framing has changed, cutting the margins.

As anyone in the Anime Discussion Thread could have told you, that "rabbit-looking creature" is actually the large Totoro with one of the small Totoro standing on his head. This creature, from 1988's Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro], is probably Studio Ghibli's most instantly recognisable creation. [​IMG]

4. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

I understand now. It's saying that the English credit sequence is from a different transfer and has some cropping/zooming/whatever (at least that's what I think it means. I didn't get that "US Angle" meant the English credits.

I wasn't trying to be a dork about not knowing what the Totoro was. I've never seen My Neighbor Totoro since it's only been released pan-and-scan on DVD here. I've been waiting for the new release because I want to see it. I don't really like anime, but Miyazaki's work looks interesting to me.

Thanks for your help.

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I was confused here for a second- I didn't recall writing this post, but then I realized I'm Vincent_P, and this is Vincent-P :)

Vincent

6. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

The same thing happened to me. I saw this at the top of the threads, saying you had just posted, and I was like "I didn't post that recently."

I had tried to register using your handle when I first signed up and was surpised it was already taken.

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Is your last name Pereira, too? 'Cause that would REALLY be weird! :)

Vincent

8. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Second Unit

Nope...Prendergast. If yours was also Prendergast, that ALSO would be pretty weird.