What's new

No 'Original' E.T. Release at all for Europe? (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, looking through the list of future DVD releases on Blackstar I see that October 21st sees the release of 'E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (DVD) (1982)', however since the rrp is only £22.99 I can only assume that the 1982 quoted in the title is wrong and this will be the same as the R1 two disc release, containing only the 2002 revision.
There is not - at this time - any other E.T. release listed.
So how does this tally with Speilberg's assurance that the Original cinema release would be available to purchase on DVD? Obviously he never meant Europe. Does he literally not care at all about how his films are released overseas?
See for yourselves here
P.S. On the 'Xena series 3 (set 2)' DVDs released this past Monday, Universal have changed their opening logo to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of 'E.T.' - for once treating the film with the respect it deserves. What I can't understand is; if Universal consider the event worthy of changing their ident for a couple of months, why has their DVD release been a chain of mismanagement and illogical decisions?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I guess they figure people will just import from the US

Assumption of importation is getting more and more common (Harry Potter in Australia etc)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Universal in the UK are extremely poor at producing press releases or giving out specs.
Still nothing official for ET or BTTF.
However UK DVD news sites seem to have firm rumours that we will only get the 2 disk of the new version. However they could still relent as 4 months until release.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well although still not official, according to The R2 Project's news story here it appears that not only will there be no release of the 1982 version of E.T. in the UK, but the release will also be a single disc only! (At a wallet busting £22.99 too, I might add).
I find this, frankly, unbelievable. Like I say, the latest Universal releases have a special E.T. Anniversary Universal opening logo - obviously somebody at Universal likes the film, shame they don't work the the Home Video division. :thumbsdown:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Universal in the UK are extremely poor at producing press releases or giving out specs
I sure hope that Universal is not paying their publicity personnel a lot of $$$$$! If they are, then it looks like money down the toilet!!

James Reader

Screenwriter
The official announcement is out: On the R2 Project
The release is a 2 disc set, but no word on the 1982 original.
I notice that the 2002 trailer is included on the disc, not as part of Total Axess (although that is mentioned). Not too sure about the wording '3 other trailers' though - will these be E.T. Trailers? Or just trailers for other films?
See that there is no mention of deleted scenes, either on the disc or in the Total Axess content :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks