What's new

No limits A/V -- Please help! (1 Viewer)

Ken Jacobs

Auditioning
OK, I'd like your help in planning A/V for my new mountain home, and money is no object .
The house is near Park City, Utah and sits at 8400' ... it's wired to the hilt with CAT5 and coax everywhere. It's big (11,000 feet), with perhaps as many as 7 or 8 zones for separate music (haven't even figured that out), a home theater in the family room, at least two 42" plasma screens (a possible problem with altitude?), a couple of 32" TVs, a big screen HDTV in the "bonus room", some small, flat TVs(LCD?) for the master bath and kitchen, satellite TV and probably cable to boot. I would appreciate comments on any or all of this, but I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the whole-house audio/video distribution, so we can leverage our collection of CDs and DVDs and A/V sources throughout the house.
I've read about the Escient Fireball for music (it doesn't seem to do movies/DVD?), but I've seen little commentary in the various forums or chat rooms. I think the Replay 4000 looks good too, but heard about possible (reception?) problems. Don't limit your comments to these brands, as I want to learn about what else is out there (but I am interested in knowing if the Fireball or 4000 are seriously problemmatic or not). Also, I want to be sure TV is HDTV wherever possible, and that each zone can be as independent as possible, yet share access to as much A/V content as possible.
With money as no object, but a desire for flexibility and especially ease of use (especially so at the control panels at the various locations throughout the house), what would YOU do?
Thanks for your thoughts ...;)

Ken Jacobs

Auditioning
I hadn't thought of that as a strategy even for those who CAN help! ;-)

I promise to post a note with my final configuration and findings, but right now it's green field.

Thanks, all

David Judah

Screenwriter
The current generation of plasmas will be a no go. I've had problems with plasmas buzzing around Santa Fe and I think it is only around 6000 ft. there.

DJ

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Ken,
You could start by flying me out to consult on your project (I own and operate a custom installation company). ;)
I'd start at www.CEDIA.org and start interviewing custom installers. The scope of your project calls for a custom installation company.

Ken Jacobs

Auditioning
In response to the previous replies ...
First, thanks for posting.
Second, I have found very limited information available on some plasma screens and their altitude capabilities. For example, the NEC Plasma Sync 42PD2 can be used at up to 6230 feet, and stored up to 9840 feet. Here's a site that talks about plasma for aircraft:
http://www.airfax.com/features/mar2000/acs.asp. The Vishay Dale APD-256G064-1, described at http://www.vishay.com/docs/37020/256g0641.pdf claims to operate to 10,000 feet. Does anyone know of others, or anything about these? (I'm actually curious ... what IS the problem with plasma screens at altitude? :confused: )
Third, I do have a contractor, and he's been plugged in to the building project from the beginning. I'm looking for some independent (and free! ;) ) advice from people on this forum to sanity check what my contractor will recommend. Because of the scope of this project, I feel I need to do some research on my own (with your help) rather than accept all he proposes.
Thanks again in advance!

David Judah

Screenwriter
Current consumer grade plasmas sets will work at higher altitudes. The problem is after they are on for awhile they will begin to make a buzzing sound due to expansion(or contraction--I forget which one)of the plasma gases.

That is an interesting article about the aircraft plasmas--thanks for the link. Perhaps they have found a way to overcome the buzzing problem. I have not seen that technology make its way into the general consumer market, but it would be most welcome, especially to our customers in Santa Fe and Taos.

DJ

Ken Jacobs

Auditioning
OK, so here's a progress report on our mountain home and the A/V plans discussed at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=50780
I've almost for certain selected the Crestron control system, using CT-1000 color touch panel controls in some 15 locations (some controlling multiple zones). It will manage an Arrakis DC6-1000 audio system. We'll use Jamo speakers throughout the house, with "architecture" models in most locations, and "Kevlar" speakers "where it matters". Other audio sources will be XM (satellite)radio, FM radio. Or should we add DirecTV (which we'll be using for video anyway). I'd like to add Internet radio, too. Should I use a pc, or do you have a better idea, like the Outlaw IR-1000 Internet tuner (see http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/ir.html)? Has anyone seen or heard this unit?
As to video, there are 13 TVs throughout the house. (I frankly can't believe it myself.) We'll have ONE plasma, in the Master BR. We saw a Pioneer 43" (model PDP-4330HD)operating at altitude. It looked great, but was poor when using a poor source DVD and an interlaced DVD player. I hope it will be ok over time at 8400' and will be very very good when given satellite TV or progressive scan DVD signals. Any caveats here?
In our master bath, we'll have two LCD TVs. Probably cheap out on this, and use something like the Cornea Systems 15" LCD TVs, complete with tuners and speakers. We'll also use an LCD TV in the kitchen and in the bar.
The home theater is just under design, and not much equipment has been selected. The installer is suggesting a DWIN Transviewer 2 (and from what I read, that sounds like a good choice!), and a Bryston Sp1.7 surround processor. Any comments? Haven't chosen speakers yet. We might install transducers under the seats. Should we? Any comments on other complementary equipment?
Other TVs will be "normal" direct views. Perhaps the JVC line? Any comments on these?
We'll use RCA DTC-100 and a reasonable progressive DVD where appropriate, but otherwise we're open to what sort of satellite receiver(s) and DVD player(s) to put on the whole-house video system.
Thanks for any insights, warnings and suggestions!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ken --
I have merged your two threads on this topic. Please post any further updates on this project in the merged thread. Thanks.
Michael Reuben
HTF Administration

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:eek:
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
OMG... can YOU be my new daddy? lol... :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks