What's new

Please help decipher HDR (1 Viewer)

gregsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Suarez
I'm looking to upgrade my non-HDR Sony 4K TV with an HDR set up. From my limited understanding, Dolby Vision is apparently superior to HDR10+ (could be subjective... don't know). I'm also looking at a new A/V receiver to go with it. The receiver I'm looking at is an Onkyo with HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.3, and Dolby Vision/HDR10+ compatibility. The disc playback device is a PlayStation 5, which does not support Dolby Vision (but might in a future firmware update).

So...
UHD disc with Dolby Vision --> PS5 (not Dolby Vision) --> Onkyo receiver (with Dolby Vision support) --> Dolby Vision display device.

I'm missing one piece of the chain to get Dolby Vision, however if the disc is encoded with DV (I know not all are, some are HDR10), will I get some kind of HDR playback from a Dolby Vision disc without a DV playback device? Do DV discs also support HDR10, or if there is a missing link in the chain, will the disc not provide any HDR support at all?

Or am I overthinking all of this?

Thank you!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You're overthinking it. All Dolby Vision devices are backwards compatible with HDR10 (and probably HLG as well). HDR10+ is an entirely different codec that isn't being supported much at all right now.

That said if Dolby Vision is your desire then you might want to invest in a Sony UBP-X700.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All DV encoded discs also include HDR10.

In my experience, DV is not discernible from HDR10, but I suspect high end displays, like a better OLED, can produce a visible difference.

gregsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Suarez
Thank you! That clears up my confusion. I was all over Google trying to find a definitive answer with no luck.

jmegas

Auditioning
Real Name
James C. Megas
From what I have read, HDR10+ is mostly on YouTube in a very small percentage of their videos. Dolby Vision is well-reputed to be superior to HDR10.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
HDR10 has a single set of tone mapping statistics for the whole movie. If the encoding of these statistics is poorly done, one can end up with (usually) a too dark picture on some displays (eg OLEDs and projectors). A few examples in my experience are Unforgiven, Serenity, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. DV dynamically updates the tone mapping scene to scene. I have yet to see a too dark example of a DV encoded film. Some higher end players can do signal based dynamic mapping directly to your display characteristics, so DV would be less important on these players.

jan goorsky

Agent
Here is the best thing about the Sony 700, which I own and love. Once you set it to Dolby Vision in the setup, my Sony TV not only plays Dolby Vision UHD discs in that setting but all Blu Rays as well. It does not do that for DVD. If you don't like that, you can go back into settings and unselect DV. I think the DV produces a better picture than the custom setting which I set up but it is a personal preference

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks