What's new

Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed. Holy crap. (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Nice idea, but I think trying to steer in midair would be a little strange, don't you? I noticed that IGN has an article with a mockup of what the "traditional" controller might look like, along with an interview that confirms its existence. Now, of course, the only problem is that there is a genuine risk of forcing customers to buy more controller hardware than they want/need, and also of having way too many different options out there. Hopefully it'll settle to just a few attachments, but it could get way out of hand. No idea what it would cost to make a specialized attachment, but I'm guessing that it couldn't retail for less than 10 bucks, so it's not really feasable for individual games to include them without a price increase.

I wonder if the "traditional" controller shell will be available at launch, and whether it'll be bundled with the system?

Another random thought-what wireless protocol do the wavebirds use? Any chance you'll be able to use em out of the box with the revolution without the receiver? I know there's a "compatability panel" on the side, but it'd be nice if you didn't need to plug anything into it.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I also hope that you will be able to choose which controller you want to use to play games like Mario and Zelda. I still can't imagine playing a Zelda game with the analog stick/remote combo.

I'm keeping an open mind with the new controller but it still looks like a gimmick to me. I guess I'll have to wait and see it in action.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Well what can I say. I've dreamed of holding 2 controls in my hand and still playing a game wireless mind you but I can't see this happening.

Maybe turn it sideways. But this looks so dumb. And with people saying dvd won't work out of the box like the Xbox?
Why not since this is a remote

I won't be able to play a game using both in each hand. Funny a joystick you plug into the bottom of it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

But that would defeat the purpose of the "revolution". The whole idea is to have developers forget what they know about game control, and design from the ground up with this new machanic in mind. This is actually why I'd like to see some bold new IP from Nintendo. Everyone knows what to expect from Mario or Zelda, but with a new property, you all of a sudden have no expectations. I know it's tough to come up with something original that can compete with long established franchises, but I'm sure there'll be at least one or two original concepts at launch.

I like the idea of being able to use two remotes at the same time though. Reminds me of the double-controller option that they used in Smash TV for the NES :)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I usually avoid most blogs, but I found this essay an interesting read; it involves Nintendo and what the controller brings to the industry as a whole.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I for one am totally exceited about the possibilities this controller opens up for the industry as a whole. I can't wait to use it, I can't wait to see some games using this innovative piece of hardware. It's my honest opinion that we will see both Sony & M$FT come out with a similar product after the Revolution launches. Nintendo has always had innovative and indusry leading control ideas, and I know this will be the way games are controlled across the board eventually.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo has filed a patent for the tilt method of input control the controller uses; if Sony or Microsoft wants to adopt something similar, the technology will need to be licensed from Nintendo, or have their engineers devise something from scratch (I'm sure neither company wants a repeat of the Immersion rumble technology situation ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks