What's new

Design the Wii 2 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
(Sorry that I keep posting in here a little too often, but I seem to have little to do this week.)

The Wii attaches downloads to the console, which is irritating if the system breaks. I believe the PS3, 360, and PSP tie them to an account and can be transferred to a certain number of consoles but I'm not 100% positive. Either way, having removable media (a hard drive or memory stick) works well as an alternative for the PS3 and 360, but the Wii doesn't allow you to move games, and in some cases even save data.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
PS3 downloadables are definitely tied to your PSN account. There is some restriction on downloading to multiple consoles, but I don't recall the details.

I can't comment on the PSP or XBox.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Except video.. any video you buy on a PS3 cannot be moved to another PS3, you have to repurchase it. I learned that the hard way when our last PS3 went out; I was able to redownload all of the games from PSN, but the movies the kids bought? Gone. After talking to them, ungettable. BTW, while Nintendo brands them to a console, in the one time I ran into this, I called Nintendo US, explained the situation, they looked up my CC, and gave me WiiPoints for credit.. which was nice. I had to send in my box and give them the serial and information, but it was worth it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Matt - when your PS3 broke, did you try removing the HDD and getting the content from it that way? I'd guess that you can move purchased movies over that way, but not re-download them.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
The Wii 2 could do with some awesome graphics. I love the Wii myself but a little wider demographic being reached couldn't hurt either.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

Matt - when your PS3 broke, did you try removing the HDD and getting the content from it that way? I'd guess that you can move purchased movies over that way, but not re-download them.

Yeah, I inserted the drive in the new PS3, and the first thing it did was tell me I had to format it. So, no go there. And it's not readable via a PC or another option, and I couldn't get the PS3 to see it via USB. I ended up giving up. Besides, I didn't have a ton of purchased content, though I had every episode of Dollhouse.. ah, damn you Whedon!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Until the Wii, Nintendo was on par or ahead of everyone else on graphics and sound. The N64 was the equal or better to the Playstation. And thanks to the "outdated mediums" of cartridges, had instant load and play times, rather than the tens of seconds, or even minutes, of the PS.

The GameCube was the equal or better to the Xbox and PS2 in graphical capability.

And you missed their fundamental perspective. It's not that graphics and gameplay are exclusive, it's that profitable games and profitable hardware make for the fattest profits possible. The Wii has fully borne this out.

Any "design" of future Nintendo gear has to be balanced against their outmoded desire for "profit". :)

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
I agree with DaveF that there is no point pumping a console full of expensive power if it hits profits too much (and thats why the wii has done so well). However, I think that BluRay drives are now cheap enough for them to fit one and still have a margin. Same goes for hard drives etc. I do think though that there will be more emphasis on online based content once we have a Wii 2, so maybe we wont need the hard drive by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks