What's new

Nintendo DS (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey All.

I been meaning to post this for awhile and thought it was time I get to it. I see the threads in this section of the forum and I know alot of people love and have a PS3 or Xbox 360 or whatever, but I just felt the need (especially recently) to express my personal love and appreciation of the Nintendo DS.

When I was younger, I was all into video games. I had everything from a Nintendo to a Sega CD. Hell, I still have a Sega CD. The expensive TRAY loading model! But as it happens, I outgrew games and at one point completely stopped playing them. I recall of that era, the last great game I played that really kept my interest was Ocarina of Time. From then on, it was only games like Everquest I played...and way too much I might add.

I don't have an Xbox or a PS3, and just have no desire for one. I know they have the graphics but that stopped impressing me years ago. I bought my Nintendo DS originally because I heard the Zelda game Phantom Hourglass was coming out and it was a sequel to Wind Waker, so I had to have it. I bought the system well before Zelda came out and a funny little happened: I fell in love with it!

I couldn't tell you what the hell it is exactly, but the DS has given me more gaming enjoying that i have had in years. It has alot of great games, especially RPGs. I'm not quite sure about this next statement yet, but it could very well be one of my favorite systems of all time.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Botton line, I just find the system very FUN. Could simply be it's portable. I don't know.

If you have one, you hopefully enjoy it too. This month has been REALLY good to fans of the DS, especially if you like RPGs. I have over a dozen games I have not finished yet on my DS and a list of about 10 more I want that are currently available. I actually like that I'm behind on my games because it Means I have plenty to keep me busy.

I'm sure any DS gaming fan has seen the Rave reviews for Grand Theft Auto as well. I look forward to more companies taking the DS to those kind of heights!

Sorry, just wanted to show my appreciation and love of this wonderful little system. I hope people feel the same as I do.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
I can relate. I had no real interest in DS until Phantom Hourglass came out. I had to have it! I love my DS because I used to hog the TV when I got lost in an XBox or Sony game, which kinda wasn't fair to my wife. Now I can play while my wife watches her favorite shows on the TiVo. She has since gotten one for herself.
I prefer RPGs, also. I really liked Final Fantasy IV and V. Chrono Trigger is good, but I didn't like it as much as I did when I played the original version on SN a bunch of years ago. I also played through Dragon Quest IV, and am working through V right now. There's a bunch more out there, which others should I try?
They really need a Metroid release for DS!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey Hogie!

Glad to hear from somewhere else. Did you mean Final Fantasy III and IV? Because I'm pretty sure V isn't out on the DS, though I do hope they are working on it...and more importantly number 6 because that was one of the finest FF games ever. I'm dying for that one in a DS remake. I do have IV and beat it recently, but never got around to FF3.

You know about Dragon Quest 4. I just beat that one myself, I couldn't put it down. I remember Dragon Quest when it was called Dragon Warrior. Playing DQ4 really brought me back. I forgot how much I liekd Dragon Warrior/Quest. As you may know they will be releasing VI next as it concludes the trilogy of IV and V. Also more exciting is Dragon Quest IX is being made exclusively for the DS! It's not a port, it's a brand new game. I hear it Japan it's the most wanted game right now.

Here is a link form IGN. I don't know if the filters come over in a pasted link but hopefully they will. IGN DS: Games, Cheats, News, Reviews, and Previews

I was really happy when Chrono Trigger came out on DS. I never beat it on the SNES, so I am glad to have it again to hopefully finish. It's on my long list of "To finish" games.

Yes there is a Metroid, it's called Metroid Prime Hunters. It's several years old. But the graphics are wonderful for the DS. it's a First Person game like the Metroid's for GameCube, you control with the + Pad and stylus serves as kind of a mouse. If you play FPS on a PC it's very simular. It's alot more action oreinted that the other Metroid Prime games. But look into it, you can probably get it used for $20 nowadays.

Since you like Zelda, check out also 2 games from the Final fantasy Crystal Chronicles series. One is called Ring of Fates, and the other, is Echoes of Time, which just came out yesterday. I was actually going to make a seperate thread about it. The game has online mode up to 4 players. You can hook up with anyone around the world, but if you have a friend code, you can play with friends and it lets you have a free form text to talk while you're playing. If you play with random people, you only get a few preset phrases to use while playing. I rather have access to full typing. So if anyone gets the game, I'm hoping we can exchange codes or something. But check these games out. Both are good. Echoes of time is just especially exciting with the online component.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Hey Adam,
You were right. FF 3 and 4, not 4 and 5. Sorry about that.
I think I might have liked FF3 better than 4, so if you haven't tried 3 yet, it's worth it. You ought to be able to get it used for less by now.
I played through Ring Of Fates. It was good enough to keep my interest all the way thru, but the FF and DQ games are much better IMO.
I've never played FF 6. What system was that on?
There were some extras in the DS version of Chrono Trigger. I can't quite put a finger on exactly what they are because it's been so many years (and gaming platform generations!) since I played it through on SN, but with it I built my characters to max levels, so there was absolutely no challenge to the final battle. I remember it being much more challenging before.
Ya know, I've never done any online gaming with any system. I've always liked solo games, but I'm willing to check it out. I'll pick up a copy of Echoes of Time and send you a PM in the next few days.
New Zelda?? Yeah, there is a god.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey again Hogie,

What I'm about to say may confuse the hell out of you, or you may already know it but I have a feeling you might not know this information.

Regarding Final Fantasy. I know you had an Super Nintendo right back in the day? So I would guess you know of the few Final Fantasy's for the system right? Well here is where it gets interesting/confusing. The Super Nintendo has 2 Final Fantasy games mainly during it's time, Final Fantasy II and III. BUT (and this is a big But) they were not correctly named from the Japanese versions of the game that they originated from!

In Japan, they had more Final Fantasys that we did, we didn't get them all translated for the US. So in actuality, our Final Fantasy II for the Super Nintendo was Final Fantasy IV from Japan, and our Final Fantasy III was in Fact Final Fantasy VI.

Around the time the now famous Final Fantasy VII came out for the playstation here in the US that was when they "fixed" the naming descrepencies here in the states. If they hadn't that game would of probably been known as Final Fantasy IV or something here in the US.

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_F...es#Main_series

So now all the DS Final Fantasy are properly numbered from thier Japanese counterparts. When I said I like VI for for the DS alot, It's in fact the same game (Graphically remade of course) you may of known as Final Fantasy III on the Super NES. I heard Final Fantasy III on the DS wasn't too great, not bad but not a home run. So now after all this I am wondering which Final Fantasy 3 did you mean you liked so much? The DS 3 (which truely is Final Fantasy 3 which we never had released in the states till this DS version) or did you mean the 3 from the Super Nintendo? (which is really number VI).

Final Fantasy VI (The Super NES's 3!) is consider by alot to be one of the best Final Fantasy's there is, so if you meant that one, I completely understand. It's this one I hope they get around to remaking for the DS, but logically they need to do Final Fantasy V first since they seem to be going in order on the DS starting with III and IV.

Whew!

Yeah about Zelda I was in a really good mood yesterday about that, especially with us just talking about that game here and how we had to have it with our DSs. It made me chuckle that BOOM here is an annoucement for a new Zelda, and it's another DS Zelda, which marks 2 in a row. Alot of people expected the next Zelda back on the Wii, even I expected it, but nope, they make another for the DS. And to top it off, it's in the same animated style as Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker, which I think is a wonderful style.

It's been a hell of a month for the DS, and the DSi is just a week or so away. Mine is on preorder of course. =)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Oh I have a DS and so does my nephews and a few friends. WE all download to play games together. Its fun to play 2 player games just by downloading and how much fun it is.

Mario Kart, Party, and Clubhouse games are top picks to download to play, only on one cart. Tetris DS is another one Contra is awesome too. Finally the best Nintendo game Contra on a handheld and 2 can play on it.

Mario and Sonic is also fun, and imagine all those games like Sudoku, Braingames, Math games, crosswords and wordjumbles and wordsearches are all there.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Adam,
All these games I mentioned I played through on DS, so I guess I haven't played the FF6 you're referring to, but I'll be all over it when it comes out on DS. 5, too. I seem to be keeping up well with these releases, so if my wife is reading this, I guess she knows why I fall behind on house/yard projects!
No, I didn't know that about the FF series and it's versions here vs. Japanese versions. I thought FF3 (DS) was pretty good and very lengthy and involved. That's the way I like 'em, though. I guess to each his own, you won't know until you try it. I'd say if you played FF4 on DS and liked it, you'll get sucked right in to 3. It's very similar.
Dean,
I remember playing Contra in the arcade. Remember when you could go to the arcade with 5 bucks and stay for hours and hours?? Ahh, the good ol' days. Anyway, I loved that game so based on what you said, I'll surely snag that one soon! Super Mario DS was cool, too. Very challenging toward the end!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Mario Kart, Party, and Clubhouse games are top picks to download to play, only on one cart. Tetris DS is another one Contra is awesome too. Finally the best Nintendo game Contra on a handheld and 2 can play on it.

Mario and Sonic is also fun, and imagine all those games like Sudoku, Braingames, Math games, crosswords and wordjumbles and wordsearches are all there.[/quote]

I have alot of these games too Dean. Mario Kart and Tetris DS are actually very fun ONLINE, Tetris's "Push Mode" is especially addicting online! The DS is a great system to keep 2D alive. If anyone has a DS and does not have New Super Mario bros, you are missing out. That was the game I bought my system with. The DS has three Castlevania games and all are great, I just beat the newest one, Order of Ecclesia, a week or two ago. I have Contra 4 as well. I may never beat it though, it's brutal!

Hogie:

I do intend to get/play FF3, it's literally on a list I have on my iPhone so I wont forget all the games I behind on. Since it's older now and Part 4 is out, I see it new for $20. No way I can pass that up forever.

There is a Sonic RPG out for the DS too you might want to look at. It's lighthearted but intesting, It's made by the people who did Knights of The Old Republic and Mass Effect. It's called Sonic Chronicles.

There also also a few good sonic traditional Games. I have Sonic Rush but it fustrates me. I can't see where I am going and I die!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a DS Lite, but I haven't bought a game for it in a long time. A friend had Phantom Hourglass, so I borrowed it and it was pretty good but overall I found it just OK. Professor Layton and Hotel Dusk are classics in my mind, but otherwise I'm not particularly enthralled by their selection.

Also, I'm into RPGs, but using the tiny screen for a long time makes my neck hurt and I don't feel like going through that. That said, I do love my DS and I think it was a good purchase.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but all 6 of the Professor Layton games will be making it to America, with the next one out in about 6 months, then a new one every 6 months after that.

Currently enjoying the hell out of GTA Chinatown wars. I've not picked up my DSlite in probably 9 mo., but I can't put it down now. This game is so damn enjoyable.

And I agree, it's a neat little system to play while the wife enjoys here shows from the DVR.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
My brother doesn't understand why I am not playing Chinatown wars. I told him I want to "save" it for my new DSi at the end of this week. he thinks I don't like the game or I would be playing it.

I haven't even played the game enough to form an opinion! It's been harding waiting but the DSi is Saturday night...finally. =)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I completely agree, Adam, the DS is a marvel. I've enabled homebrew code on mine so now I not only use it to play games, but also to play music files, view movies, and read ebooks. (It's especially good for ebooks because I can read in bed before going to sleep without disturbing my wife with a reading light.)

The small size, battery life, and versatility of the DS are a tribute to the skill of the Nintendo hardware engineering team.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Is anyone playing Dragon Quest V? Mid-way through, your main character has to choose between 3 girls to marry, which may or may not alter the game. I chose the most unlikely of the three. It seems the plot aims toward one in particular, so I was hoping to compare notes with someone who chose a different path.
Anyone?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The DS Lite is my favorite game console at the moment - its portability, game variety, and $20-$30 average price point for games is just the ticket. I used to work with the XBox 360 and PS3, but never had one at home; you need an HDTV to really appreciate those systems, and you also need a deep pocketbook. Also, I have no interest in "trash-talking" online with a bunch of foul-mouthed squad commandos. I hate that macho ugliness is becoming such a beloved part of modern videogaming.

The only thing that interests me in the DSi is the game download service, which won't have great variety at the outset. The DSi also removes Game Boy Advance compatibility, and although the download service will feature Game Boy and GBA games eventually, I don't want to have to purchase them again just to play them, assuming the games I own are even offered for download. (The other improvements look fun - camera, faster browser, etc. - but not enough to justify replacing my DS Lite)

I've been playing Henry Hatsworth: The Puzzling Adventure and GTA: Chinatown Wars lately. Henry Hatsworth I highly recommend. It's the best puzzle / platform hybrid I have ever played, but a quick warning: it gets VERY difficult about halfway through. If you are a casual gamer, you may find the first couple of worlds very enjoyable, but the rest frustrating.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Bob - I never tried Homebrew. I am not sure why, knowing all the tihngs I can do. I guess I like my DS as a simple gaming system.

Hogie - Dragon Quest V is on my list to get. I simply haven't since I'm so far behind in games. Ha ha. The reviews really make we want it though. I guess it has a really good story and all. I would guess who you marry does change the ending, but who knows how drastically. I really want that game soon though, I might get it next.

Steve - I've been hearing good things about Henry Hatsworth too but they also mention it gets alot harder and that worries me. I don't like super hard games...makes me wanna throw stuff across the room.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Not playing GTA is killing me but I just really want to save it for my DSi...which I will finally get tomorrow at midnight. =)

Speaking of XBOX, I keep thinking of getting one lately. I don't even really want any games for it, except for some Xbox LIVE arcade ones. My brother got an Xbox and I just can't decide about getting one myself. been thinking about it the last few days. I dont know if its worth it for XBLA alone and maybe the Netflix streaming for my wife.

Still have my DS and soon DSi in the meantime!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Chinatown Wars had a bit of a learning curve and was short, but it was cool. I remember the era when Nintendo was reluctant to have controversial content on their system--the blood in Mortal Kombat was turned to sweat, though MKII was allowed to be released uncensored--so it's kind of crazy the stuff that's coming from this little cartridge.

I'm dying for Mario & Luigi III now. I'll buy Zelda without reading a single review because I love the games, though I do think Hourglass was short on the charm and witty dialogue of the previous 2D Zeldas. I'm really hoping the Miles Edgeworth spinoff adventure (from Phoenix Wright) comes to the US. And, there are a bunch of games I've wanted for months/years that I haven't gotten around to. That worries me, because console games tend to have a short shelf life and then become expensive to buy new.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally ugraded my launch day 'Fatty' Nano to a new DSI today! Skipped the entire 'lite' generation. Will miss GBA compatibility, until they put the best of them on the download site.

Rodrick

Second Unit
I have the original DS and a R4 that can have upto 40 games on a cart. The problem is many newer games like Grand Theft Auto, or Monsters vs Aliens etc.... won't work so have to buy those games.

I like the original better than the DSL or DSI, cause GBA games don't stick out like a sore thumb. I kept my GBpocket to play all the old gameboy games.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Help! I did a search for threads on the new Super Mario game but a bunch of other stuff popped up so, short of starting a new thread, I'm hoping someone here can answer a question. I bought a used copy of the game for my DS and I've already rescued the princess twice over. My problem is I can't figure out how to get to the two levels I've skipped over (levels 4 and 7) and why it didn't let me play all 8 levels successively. I don't have the patience to look for shortcuts/hidden doors and whatnot so how can I get to these levels? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks