What's new

Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed. Holy crap. (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Your gonna either love or hate it.

I absolutely hate it...BUT Ill need some hands on time to decide.

For a look on how the hell this thing works, check this out:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-S...hp_flashtop_bg

Now, I really love the fact that Nintendo is goin for innovation. But they have pretty much killed 3rd party support. You'll DEFINITELY need to buy a Revolution along with a PS3 or XBox360 to get the most out of next gen.

I dunno, I really cant make a judgement until I give it a try. But man, it sure is crazy.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
David, it looks like we were on the same wavelength - I just posted an identical thread! :) I'll move it to this one.

I have to say, I am not surprised. What actually surprises me is how many people got it wrong. They were predicting all sorts of "programmable" controllers with LED touch-screens...

Remember in the "old days", when new gamers would play Super Mario Bros. and their whole bodies would twist and their arm would tilt the controller when jumping over a pit? So what if that instinctive movement actually DID something?

Nintendo is not really part of the "Big Three" any longer- it seems they're going after a completely different market now. With Sony and Xbox cornering the market on traditional games -- shooters, drivers, traditional next-gen games of all genres -- it is refreshing to have a company that tries to do something different. (i.e.: gimme some apples with those oranges, please).

JamesED

Second Unit
Wow, totally not what I expected.

I'm very intrigued by it. I was a skeptic of the DS until I got one recently. Guess I'll get to find out first hand on launch day.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
This looks interesting. Right now, I really can't see myself playing games with that type of controller (likely because I've been using "standard" controllers since the 8-bit Nintendo). I do like the whole first-person shooter capabilities, however, I can do that with a mouse and keyboard (almost). I think this thing might be a big hit for party-type games where people can get together and do more "physical playing" amongst each other (i.e., games were moving the controller in the air is important).

Personally, I'll take Halo 3 and PGR3 with a wireless 360 controller. I will try this thing out, however!

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
:confused:
It looks like the old Coleco vision controllers. They better play frickin awesome because they look like they are going to suck.
They will bring out a second controller for the complainers like the Xbox did with th S controller.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have to say that this isn't really what I expected. I figured that you'd see something with motion sensors, but not with this crazy a design. I'm definitely intrigued though, and VERY interested to get some hands on time with this thing to see how it really works.

My first thought was that the whole idea is a little power-glove like, which is a bad thing because besides not being very responsive, your arm got really tired after a while. I'm confident that technology has improved though, and hands on impressions have seemed to indicate that subtle movements are very responsive (i.e. resting your arm on something and ust moving your wrist). This will also help maintain a smooth motion, since I've noticed that 3d mice can be pretty jittery. Really, I just want to see what Nintendo comes up with for this thing.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the expansion port on the controller. Theoretically, this means a whole pile of different, specialized attachments could be released. The only problem here-additional cost for the games, and a really confusing state of affairs for customers (which attachment do you need for game X). Still, the dual-analog setup sounds really cool.

The other thing they've basically guaranteed here is that there will probably be a minimum of cross-platform games showing up on the revolution. Developing for the Ps3 and 360 at the same time is reasonably straightforward, but the revolution would demand a complete rethinking of the game mechanics (if it's going to work well that is). I just hope that there are enough quality titles to support the machine.

I think that's it for now. As you can tell, I really have to take a "wait and see" approach with this thing. I know I probably won't buy into this from day one, but probably do the same as I did with the DS and give it some time to see if it catches on.

If nothing else, you could make some kick ass "light gun" games for this system! Time Crisis/House of the Dead compilations anyone?:)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Since the Revolution will be able to plays games from every Nintendo console, how in the world will you play SNES, N64 and Gamecube games with that controller? There's not enough buttons.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Todd, the Revolution has four GameCube controller ports on the top for backwards compatibility.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Didn't know that. Thanks. This is turning out to be a very intriguing console. Not sure what I think yet.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Exactly. I'm sure that the GameCube controllers will be useable for Revolution versions of multi-platform titles that don't take advantage of the new controller's unique features. I'm also inclined to think that Nintendo still hasn't revealed all there is to know about the controller. I think the "remote" control is only a piece and that there will be a more traditional-looking Revolution controller (with a few of the other rumored features that weren't revealed at the TGS) that the "remote" piece will slide into. for a WaveBird-like Revolution controller.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was really skeptical at first, but now I'm pretty excited. I think the potential for totally different games is amazing. FPS, racing, being able to swing Link's sword in a Zelda game, wow. As for 3rd party support, it totally depends on how well Nintendo markets the system. If they launch with a Mario game and some other good ones and they convince people this new way to play is amazing, 3rd parties will follow. It just totally depends on how well the system sells. Let's hope they deliver with some mind blowing games.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think people are skeptical of the Revolution controller because most people are so used to two-handed controllers that anything wildly different will not be to their preference.

But yet, this controller could change a lot of ideas about how to interact with games since it will likely allow for more natural arm movements.

I for one would LOVE to see the Soul Calibur series of games ported to Revolution, that's to be sure! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
After doing some digging, I found this:

Looks like Nintendo will offer classic controllers for the Revolution. I wonder if this means NES, SNES, and N64 pads with Gamecube-style plugs or something else?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

If by more traditional-looking you're referring to a peripheral that's cradled by both hands (much like today's offerings and their predecessors), you may be setting yourself up for disappointment (where Revolution-specific titles are concerned).

Those of us who have been gaming for a while have grown accustomed to a layout that comprises a D-pad and a myriad of buttons/triggers with pre-assigned functionality; what Nintendo is hoping to achieve through its main controller is to provide not only camera or directional control through the motion sensor, but also replace/eliminate the need for a multitude of buttons to execute specific actions.

The teaser video of the controller in use alludes to gameplay possibilities that may be limitless, but more importantly, does away with the need for additional peripherals designed specifically for certain games, e.g. fishing rod controllers.

I admit that I was taken aback by the controller when I first saw it, but after reading about its potential and seeing the demonstration video, I have to give Nintendo credit for unveiling a product that perfectly encapsulates the name of their console; it truly is revolutionary in design. Peter Molyneux was right when he said "Never underestimate Nintendo." This has renewed my interest in the Revolution; if the games are just as innovative, the console will be a launch date purchase for me.

For those interested, the conference video is now available for viewing/download (149MB).

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Ken - it looks the more "traditional" controller has been confirmed...

The following is an excert from an interview with Nintendo of Europe's Jim Merrick (conducted by the EuroGamer website).

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features.

LINK To Complete Interview

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Rhoq:

Guess I'll be retracting my earlier statement :b ; now I'm anxious to see this classic-style expansion controller (I just hope we don't have to wait until next year's CES or another trade show for its unveiling to the public).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There's no gyroscopes in it. It's just a variation on the technology that made the WaveBird work. The console senses where the controller physically is and where it's pointing (there might be an external sensor involved) but that's it.

Frankly, I love it. I think the ideas for this are amazing. Forget it not having a billion buttons or two joysticks, the ability to control the action on-screen by moving the controller around replaces half the stuff that actually goes on a controller and the expansion port is going to definitely be used, which means more possible buttons on it.

There's a demo of Metroid Prime 2 with this controller being the interface and I've heard nothing but great stuff about it.

Beyond anything else, I want to see some developers come up with some new ideas that embrace the unique controller.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Rhoq, if that's true, then it's really the best of both worlds. An "expansion" controller would really address the need for multi-platform releases. The "remote" can be turned sideways and work like a NES controller though :)

After watching the video, I'm even more intrigued. I'm wondering how it'll work on different sizes/types of screens and at different viewing angles, but I'm sure that all of that has been considered.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Now that the main part of the controller has been revealed, the Revolution buzz seems to be ever bigger than it was. I've been reading nothing but positive things about it.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but: This generation I own only one console, a Nintendo GameCube. I've been a life-long Nintendo "fanboy" going back to the Game & Watch series days. I would be lying if I said I'm not disappointed with how things have turned out for the 'Cube. The "kiddie" image and lack of 3rd party support really hurts what is a very capable and under-rated machine.

When Advance Wars DS was announced last October, I went to GameStop and pre-orded a Nintendo DS. I bought my DS on launch day last November. I bought a few launch titles (Mario, Feel The Magic, Asphalt) and some fun with it for a few weeks but then I began feeling like the system was nothing more than a gimmick and with the lack of quality titles up until June of this year, I really began to have my doubts about the DS and Nintendo, in general.

I was very close to selling my DS and possibly investing in a PSP (while an impressive system, it has more UMD movies than worthwhile games and I have a a portable DVD player to watch movies on, if I want to). Anyways - the last 2 months have seen the DS library expand at a rapid pace with some very innovative, quality titles which make excellent use of the system's unique control features and prove to me that it is definitely not a gimmick.

The games that changed my mind are: Meteos, Nintendogs and the game that made me want a DS in the first place: Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Up until a few weeks ago, my DS sat in case, unplayed for months - now, I play my DS everyday while on the bus/train to and from work.

Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is that even when things are looking very grim for Nintendo they throw a major curve ball that leaves people scratching theirs heads and saying "WTF", while at the same time shaking things up within the gaming industry. Since the Revolution was announced Iwata has said to look towards the DS as a hint of things to come with the Revolution. The DS has turned out to be a very fun little system with some truly unique titles. Imagine that same type of quirkiness applied in high-powered mega-doses on a home console. It truly will be a Revolution.

I read a rumor today which suggested that a Revolution version of Nintendogs might be a launch title since the new controller seems fit that type of game perfectly. I'm really psyched.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
ign.com just posted another article about the controller. There's an expansion cradle that you can get with it that makes it look like a normal controller(ala, Wavebird) except that the motion sensor remains active while in the traditional controller cradle!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks