What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently playing the original Donkey Kong arcade game on the Switch. I'll never be a million point player, but if I reach 100,000, I will be happy.

Such a tough game, those barrel stages are insane after the first wave of levels.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Officially retiring from competitive Donkey Kong play. I'm burned out at 82,600. I couldn't get higher if I tried. Achieving a good score on an old arcade game takes a looong time. My high score run cost me over 30 minutes, and I cannot stand the online ranking system. I'm #177...out of ???
500, 5000? What good is is a ranking system you cant gauge it.

Come on Nintendo you can do a lot better than that. Weak.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Was a pretty good Nintendo Direct today. Several things caught my eye like Luigi's Mansion 3. And I appreciate the continued 3DS support.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Wish we were getting a Classic Controller USB hub. Love the NES gamepads they showed off alongside the online service, but I'm less enthused at the $60 price. Would just as assume plug in my NES Classic controllers into a USB hub like the GameCube controller adapter.

That said, count me in as long as compatibility doesn't have to be specifically coded for. Mega Man Legacy Collection Volume 1 (And Mega Man 9/10) for instance would be perfect for this for an example, but if Capcom and their developers have to go back and patch in support for these optional gamepads, it's not going to be happening in most cases.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, that's $60 for 2 controllers that work with the Switch out of the box and dock onto the sides (where the Joy-cons attach) to recharge. Not a bad price, I think.

I seriously doubt the NES-style controllers will work with non-NES games. For example, MM Legacy Collection has extra commands that you can't map to just the A/B/Start/Select buttons, so I don't know how they would be able to handle that. I'm curious how the games will even support returning to the Home screen with the NES controllers. Maybe you need to keep a Joycon handy?

I didn't watch the Direct but I did read about the announcements. Holy crap. I'm honestly amazed how much they kept secret over the course of the 1 week delay. If they can suddenly announce stuff this big and this soon to release, I am hopeful for more great announcements in the future.

That said...I'd really prefer to see more than just the NES games on the subscription service. It's neat that they're giving people the cheap games-as-a-service thing that they've been asking for since Netflix became huge, but it's disappointing to see the specific selection.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
$60 isn't a bad price, but when the all but confirmed SNES versions appear, that's probably another $60 when SNES downloads hit the service. I'd much rather be able to use my NES or SNES Classic gamepads, or at least have the option to buy singular controllers for $30 a piece.

Edit: I'll probably pass. They'll only be sold to Switch online subscribers and compatibility sounds like it will largely be limited to NES downloads, which I don't see taking advantage of much.

Would've been a nice complement to many of the Arcade Archives releases and such.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Doubtful you'll see a price drop on the Switch for the holidays. Most likely there will be discounted bundles, like $350 for a Switch plus Mario and Zelda, or the Smash Bros. bundle that was announced. They have so much momentum at full price still so there's no need to drop it.

Regarding the NES Joycons, I don't see them as being a bad thing. First off, you don't NEED them to play the NES games. Second, they are priced decently ($30 each but only sold in a pair for $60). Third, I don't think its an issue that they will only work with the NES games because I don't think there are enough games that would work with only A, B, Start, Select, and the teeny SL/SR buttons on the top. And honestly...I'm not sure we've gotten 100% confirmation that they WON'T work with other games, but rather I'm guessing that it would be up to each developer to add compatibility to their games if they choose to.

I look at it as being an alternative to the NES Classic in that you can pay $80 to get the NES controllers and a year of access to 20+ games with enhanced features, plus the ability to take it on-the-go. I see this as way superior to the NES Classic and now I'm happy I never got one.

They also announced that save states will be supported, which is AWESOME.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought one of these to use when I'm sitting in hotel rooms. Kind of regretting it now. Didn't get much chance to use it and playing "Splatoon 2" was a PITA when trying to relax on the bed.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bought one of these to use when I'm sitting in hotel rooms. Kind of regretting it now. Didn't get much chance to use it and playing "Splatoon 2" was a PITA when trying to relax on the bed.

Splatoon is too twitchy for me to play undocked. Maybe try Skyrim or Diablo when that comes out November 2nd!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did you try any other games? I’ve been noodling for a year about a Switch for airplane and hotel use.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Splatoon is too twitchy for me to play undocked. Maybe try Skyrim or Diablo when that comes out November 2nd!

I'll have to give it a try with the dock. I primarily bought it use as a handheld though. Mostly for times when I'm sitting in a hotel room.

Did you try any other games? I’ve been noodling for a year about a Switch for airplane and hotel use.

Sorry, I haven't been able to try anything else at the moment. There were a couple I was looking at but the C$79.99 price tag is turning me off of buying them. Have to wait until they get a little long in the tooth and the prices come down on them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Although I no longer own a Switch, I find it quite troubling that it may have a limited life span. From my understanding, if the battery dies and can’t hold a charge, there is no direct ac power circuitry inside that will allow it to bypass the battery and function strictly as a stationary gaming console meaning it will simply fail to power on at all. Maybe that is something Nintendo is correcting for the v2 release.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That doesn't seem like a practical problem. We've been using such mobile devices and laptops for years. Batteries age but don't generally wholly fail for quite a number of years.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hard core gamers and collectors tend to keep systems for decades, of which a rechargeable battery surely will not last. A well taken care of NES is over 30 years old and still works fine. I don’t think we’ll be able to say that about the Switch 30 years from now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, but most people don’t, which is why it’s not a practical problem. As someone thinking of buying a Switch, this does not concern me. I need three years from it, not thirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks