1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by laser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I like the idea of people selling their Switches :) I kinda want one, but it’s not worth the $450 a new system would cost me. Maybe I can find a used system later this year?

Clinton McClure likes this.
  2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Maybe you can, Dave. The store I sold mine to said they occasionally got one, but not often. Mine was, by far, in the best condition they have gotten so far. My Switch, Pro controller, New 3DS XL, and all games were in mint condition complete-in-box. Most people don’t take care of their gear and they were pretty impressed by the condition of mine.

DaveF likes this.
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    A guy can dream. :)

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The Switch still has a handful of unannounced games for later this year. They're expecting to hit over 1000 games on the platform internationally before the holidays. It seems weird to me that you can't find ANYTHING on it that you would want to play.

Personally, I keep trying to get myself to want an NES or SNES Classic, but I can't. I don't see myself wanting to sink more than maybe an hour or two into any of the games on either console, mostly because I've already played them to death multiple times before or, frankly, they're not very good/fun 30 years later. Is anyone actually going to play Final Fantasy I all the way through?

Meanwhile, I just added 3 or 4 games to my "wish list" on my Switch yesterday.

5. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I've finished quite a few games on mine. It's stuff like Super Mario World that I mostly revisit, where as modern games are usually one and done affairs.

6. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Yes. Me. Multiple times because I enjoy it.

I have fond memories of most of the games on the Classic systems and enjoy them much better than current gen games. It’s a preference.

LeoA likes this.
  7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Fair enough! I also have fond memories, but I would either want to have each whole series (thus, I bought Mega Man Legacy Collection for Switch) instead of just one entry or I would want cheats to make the games easier to re-play (again...Mega Man Legacy Collection). The NES Classic is a little TOO authentic for me.

For the SNES Classic, I would love to finally play a couple of the games on it but I don't think it's the most ideal option. Honestly, I'm more likely to just sink the few bucks each to just get them on my 3DS.

Clinton McClure likes this.
  8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Just saw the Final Fantasy talk. I know I'm in the minority, but if the SWITCH became the classic JRPG machine that the DS was, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. To be able to play the Dragon Warrior/Quest, Final Fantasy etc series on the go would be perfect. I nearly bought a PSP for the Final Fantasy PS1 classics (never did though since the real FF3 is only on cellphones, steam and the DS, I think), and I still debate getting a DS but haven't since I primarily game at home. To buy new hardware that gave me the newest Nintendo product as well as the legacy would be a dream since I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the SNES and I've missed out on a lot.

I do have a Raspberry Pi to play some of these on, but it's flaky for me since I'm not a programmer so it seems like I have to wipe everything and reinstall stuff if a controller wont work since the actual steps to assign things are either very clear or incredibly murky on what you are doing. It's laggy on platformers as well, but I'll probably fire it up for Dragon Warrior IV sooner than later since lag doesn't effect turn based RPGs.

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I'm envious of people who can dump a console after getting what they want out of it. I always seem to find games I want to play on every console I own. I wish I was better at consolidating.

LeoA and Bryan^H like this.
  10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Anyone else see the announcement of the new Labo kit? It's called the Vehicle Kit and includes 3 vehicles (car, plane, submarine) which all share a foot pedal for 'gas' and each have unique control mechanisms (wheel for the car, joystick for the plane, two-wheeled thing for the submarine). The whole thing looks neat and the game seems to be more substantial than what was in the Variety Kit stuff. It's $70 and out September 14th.

11. Message #731 of 741 Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    At just shy of 20 million, it's almost to the GameCube now. Will easily surpass it when Christmas rolls around, months before its 2nd birthday.

And 11 million sellers in the Switch library, with Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Breath of the Wild unsurprisingly leading the list with 9 to 11 million sales each.

3DS is sadly but unsurprisingly way down, but for someone that thought it was winding down a few years ago and would be out of stores by this date, I've enjoyed the ride over the past several years and look forward to Luigi's Mansion 3D later this year to possibly wrap up the 1st party catalog (Although I hope to be again proven wrong with another port for 2019).

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The thing to note about Breath of the Wild's sales on Switch is that it also sold pretty decently on the Wii U. And if I remember correctly, the numbers Nintendo reported only included physical sales, meaning they could be much higher with digital numbers.

13. Message #733 of 741 Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Nintendo's sales statistics include digital sales.

Breath of the Wild (Wii U) is somewhere below Mario Party 10's 2.18 million units sold. Nintendo only publishes the top 10 sales performers on their sales data site and Zelda has yet to crack the Wii U's top 10.

I heard ~1.5 million earlier this year, which is pretty good for such a late Wii U release even if there hadn't been a Switch port stealing its thunder (Over 1 in 10 Wii U owners bought it, if accurate).

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I stand corrected! I read somewhere that they were only reporting physical sales, but those numbers do include digital. I might have misread the notes about the income numbers (which break out physical vs. digital sales a bit).

Saying roughly 10% Wii U owners bought Zelda is good, but saying almost 50% of Switch owners bought it is amazing.

LeoA likes this.
  15. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

I must've played through the game 30 times since the early 90s. It was my first rpg and it still retains all of its charms. Outside of FF VI it's my favorite FF entry.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I was going to sell my Switch. A friend told me to try Octopath Traveler before I do. I bought it, figured the worst that happens is I sell my Switch with OT, and other games for some quick cash. Turns out Octopath is one of the best RPG's I have ever played so far. Looks like I'm not done with gaming just yet.

17. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    I hope you like OT. I played both demos and hated the combat mechanics to the extent that it became a deal-breaker for me.

Bryan^H likes this.
  18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've been playing Hollow Knight for almost a week (after running through all 10 Mega Man games in Legacy Collection 1 + 2) but have gotten so little time in it that I'm maybe 1 hour deep. The game looks really good and I'm fine with the floaty jumping, but there's something about the combat that hasn't quite clicked with me yet. I'll have some time in the next few days to really dive into it more but so far it's good enough for me to keep wanting to play.

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Im only 5 hours in, but the combat to me anyway is very satisfying. Turn based with charge meters for more damage, and knowing what creature is weak against certain attacks is key. Boss battles are awesomely fun(but long). Like any RPG worth anything grinding for level gain is expected. I can't say I have ever loved that part of any RPG, but you sure get proficient with the attacks/defense after so many battles.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten