What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He was referring to the Pro controller in the first video I watched. In the second, the reviewers brought up some ergonomic issues with the JoyCons. The Pro controller just looks more comfortable to use than the included JoyCons.

Edit: I took a look at that first video again. A 100 bucks is the Canadian price for the Pro controller, so that would make it around 75 US at the present rate of exchange.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I find it hard to take the guy's opinion seriously when he refers to the WiiU as "clunky" and "half-baked". Out of all three consoles that I own, the WiiU console was the least clunky of the three. The WiiU game pad was a bit on the clunky side, but one quickly got over that. In fact, the Switch is clunkier than the WiiU is. The Switch cannot be oriented horizontally. It has to have sufficient vertical clearance to allow a person to remove and place it in the cradle, meaning it cannot be placed on a credenza shelf like I could with my WiiU. It has to be oriented face on to you, once again limiting its placement in a credenza or in a limited space on an enclosed shelf. The WiiU had the disc slot and indicators on the end of the unit, so I could place it vertically, end on, into a limited space beside my PS4 and still have access to the drive.

Again, the one thing I can say for Nintendo's WiiU is that it was anything but clunky or half-baked in design. Frankly it was one of the best designed, compact consoles I have ever seen, regardless of its less than stellar graphics power.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Given that I'll never use these Joy-Cons like a sideways Wii remote since I'll be playing solo, I hope they release a left Joy-Con eventually with the standard Nintendo + style d-pad.

I just know the style they went with will annoy me when using the Switch as a handheld (I'll likely always just use the Pro Controller when playing on tv).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the Wii U being called "clunky" was referring more to the hardware and software together, not so much the console's physical design. The software was pretty slow (especially at launch), things sometimes felt a bit disjointed, it still used friend codes...stuff like that.

I thought the pricing was $40 for one JoyCon and $70 for a pair? The prices they announced seem a bit steep but the Wii remote was $40 and a new PS4/XBO controller is $60, so they're actually not that bad.

Leo - how often will you play a game where the d-pad is beneficial? The only example I can think of off the top of my head would be fighting games. And even then, you could just get the pro controller.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Very frequently, Morgan. It has seen just as much use on my Wii U gamepad for instance as the left analog stick has.

And with how often I've utilized my Wii U's off-screen capabilities, I'll want the very best for the Switch when using it as a handheld. Hopefully Nintendo has provided just that, directly out of the box. But if my suspicions are right about this design, I want to see the ability to swap out Joy-Cons be taken full advantage of.

On the Wii U, I've relied upon the d-pad for the system's many sidescrollers, everything from 1st party retail releases like New Super Mario Bros. U to eShop exclusives like Life of Pixel. It's also my choice for all non-N64 Virtual Console downloads, regardless of genre.

The ratio is pretty similar on my 3DS, if we ignore DS backwards compatibility where I always go with the d-pad for. And I've invested in digital only controllers for all of my 21st century consoles, which has especially been important with the Sony and especially Microsoft platforms that have less than ideal d-pads.

So needless to say when I make the jump to a PS4 Pro for instance, something like the Hori Fighting Commander 5 will be my first accessory purchase. That's how important I view the d-pad. And I don't even play fighting games...

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First off, I just saw that the individual JoyCons are $50 and the JoyCon Pair is $80. So we were all wrong! Even so, considering the tech in the controllers and the competition's prices, not too bad.

But, I mean, when has the benefit of a d-pad, rather than four independent buttons, been necessary in a game? When have you NEEDED a d-pad? Nothing on the Switch at launch will necessitate a d-pad, specifically 2D platformers or fighting games, so I don't know if it's really something to miss just yet. I agree that it would be nice to have one, but you could just get a pro controller instead of a new JoyCon and use the d-pad on that.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've needed a d-pad countless times. Frankly, many 2D games just don't translate well to analog sticks.

And like I told you, I've frequently used off-screen play on my Wii U, much to my surprise since I didn't think I would. Heck, if anything, it has been played as a handheld such as leaning back in bed more often than as a traditional console.

So it's safe to assume that at least 50% of my time with the Nintendo Switch will be with it being used in handheld mode, albeit not outside my household. So like I was hoping you'd realize with my previous post, a Pro Controller is only a partial solution for me.

It will be great half the time and will be my go to controller anytime I'm playing on tv, but useless whenever I'm using the system in handheld mode. Thus, a top notch d-pad on the Joy-Con itself is a necessity for my needs.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Two questions then: first, how many 2D games in the Switch lineup are you interested in that would require a good d-pad? Second, have you ever played a game with a controller that used either an analog stick or the 4 direction buttons instead of a d-pad?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
You're trying too hard to invalidate the importance that I place on a good d-pad. Remember, not everyone's tastes are identical and the type of games I play and how I like to play them isn't necessarily in alignment with your preferences.

I have no doubt that the majority consider the d-pad on modern console hardware as superfluous and think it's primary use is something secondary like weapon selection in a fps. But plenty of people do regularly make use of it in a variety of different types of games and value having a well designed one as the default option on their controller.

As for what games I'd like to use it for, that's rather pointless to even ask. We only have some knowledge, often only vague at best, on the first wave of software for the Nintendo Switch. It hopefully has 5+ years of healthy support ahead and hundreds of games yet to be announced for it. So even though I only count three strong candidates at this time that interest me that I'll likely want a good d-pad for, many more will appear.

And with a healthy dose of skepticism, I've left the door open to the possibility that I just might love the design that Nintendo went with on the Joy-Con. And I'll add that at worst, I'm confident I'd consider it serviceable, which is a word I'd never use to describe Microsoft's d-pad on the stock controllers for the original Xbox or Xbox 360.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My point is more to discuss whether or not the lack of a traditional d-pad is an actual functional problem (which it would be if the alternative that exists was terrible or there were a bunch of 2D games coming out) or just one more based on personal taste. If the only games you personally are interested in playing on the Switch are Zelda, 1-2-Switch, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 (just picking examples), then the d-pad wouldn't matter. However, if you only want to play Bomberman R, Ultra SF2, and Snipperclips, then maybe the d-pad missing would be more significant to you.

I read that the Ultra SF2 demos were kind of hard to play because the joystick and directional buttons aren't nearly as good as a real d-pad or fighting stick, but otherwise I can't think of any games that have been announced (which is a bunch) that would necessitate or even benefit from a d-pad. I think Virtual Console releases would probably necessitate it, but for all we know they could release retro JoyCons around then (like the Classic Controller on Wii) and solve the issue.

I also would prefer a traditional d-pad. But I'm not convinced that, just yet, it really matters.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Of the known Switch games of interest to me, I believe the benefits of precise digital control will be valuable in Arcade Archives (Which will get regular additions, the publisher has said), and likely Sonic Mania and Stardew Valley.

Then we have sidescrolling platformers like the Switch surely will see several of from Nintendo and others, hopefully an overhead Zelda adventure, 2D style indie releases, classic compilations like from AtGames which plans support for the Switch if it succeeds or the soon to be announced collection from Capcom/Digital Eclipse that hopefully will be here as well, and tons of other situations.

And let's not forget the Virtual Console, which is confirmed to be part of their plans although we know very little about it at this time. Not everyone's interest is just in the latest big budget AAA releases. I get a much bigger kick out of a nice classic arcade compilation than 95% of such games.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As-of-yet-unannounced games aside, you're really talking maybe 3 games so far that would probably benefit from a d-pad over an analog stick. If that's literally all you want from the Switch, then yeah the d-pad is a big deal. But that's kind of it so far.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo has been true to their word. Cross-platform comparisons of Zelda show little to no differences, with the only advantages of note being the higher resolution and faster load times on the next-gen version.

Looking forward to seeing a more scientific look at the two from Digital Foundry, but Wii U fans like myself happily won't be getting a 2nd rate version of what looks set to be a classic.

As-of-yet-unannounced games aside, you're really talking maybe 3 games so far that would probably benefit from a d-pad over an analog stick. If that's literally all you want from the Switch, then yeah the d-pad is a big deal. But that's kind of it so far.

I don't know what you're getting at, but thanks.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Thought this was neat.

Not only does it further prove that the original provided a lot of inspiration for Breath of the Wild, but it's also neat that they created a prototype/proof of concept of some of their ideas for the new Zelda by using a 2.5D perspective and a look reminiscent of the original NES game.

I'm not sure what we'll get next on the Switch for Zelda after this. I firmly believe we'll see an overhead perspective Zelda on this system, but I wonder if they'll go down the Super Mario Maker route for it instead of a traditional Nintendo crafted adventure.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Reviews for Switch hardware came out yesterday. Overall, they seem to be very impressed with the hardware delivering well on the concept but lament the lack of games at launch and the inability to review any online features. The small nitpicks (some people think the JoyCons are a little too small, some dislike the kickstand) seem like things that can be fixed with small add-ons (new controller, a portable stand) or with a future hardware revision that is likely to come in a few years.

Zelda reviews are out this morning. So far, its look like it is being reviewed as the best game ever. It's sitting alongside Ocarina of Time.

EDIT - Here's a reddit thread linking to reviews for Zelda. They're pretty phenomenal: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...hread_the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild/

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The eShop is region free. You don't even need to do nonsense like importing a points card to buy something with an out of region account. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the friend codes are just one of many ways to add friends. If you are friends with someone through any of the other Nintendo apps, they will automatically appear in a "suggested friends" list. So it looks like friend codes are for if you only have a Switch and no other accounts or apps or whatever else. I imagine they'll be updating this somehow.

Also, if you play a game with someone (online or local) they appear in a list that they can be friended from. I'm hoping that would mean local play counts.

That said....I have no friends I care to add, anyway.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Friends codes are there, but they will (eventually) be the last option. Official Nintendo statement:

"Several methods can be used to add friends as quickly and easily as possible: · By linking Nintendo Switch to your Nintendo Account, your friends from Miitomo and Super Mario Run will appear as friend candidates so you can easily send them a friend request. Also, we are planning it so that friends from social networking services will be listed as candidates, too.

In the future, you will be able to send a friend request to friends associated with your NNID (Wii U/Miiverse) and Nintendo 3DS.

In some games you will be able to use an in-game interface to send friend requests.

You can send friend requests to those who have played with you recently.

You can establish a friend through local wireless communication.

You can also send a friend request by using a friend code."

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14792066/nintendo-switch-friend-code-response

It's possible Nintendo wants to make sure all the other online services (eShop, photo sharing, crossover with mobile IDs, etc.) works smoothly for a few days for all the launch users before implementing using NNID and FB/T to link with friends. (With so many new users signing up for MyNintendo and the Nintendo Network in the next week it's not the worst idea to see how the servers handle it all before expanding the options).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks