What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but if you're treating consoles like single-game-devices...that's on you, not Nintendo. I own probably 20ish games for Wii U and nearly all of them are fantastic.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
How many first-party Nintendo games have been released on a previous-gen console after the next-gen console was released?

If you're just talking new projects, sure, I don't think that's in Nintendo's dna in the console world to start developing a title on a now superseded console.

But the NES and SNES did see numerous 1st party releases after the appearance of a successor.

And on the NES and SNES, Nintendo of America also jumped in and licensed quality 3rd party titles that the original publisher was going to skip bringing stateside due to the availability of a new platform, just to support their existing install base.

And Ubisoft releasing Just Dance isn't the same as Nintendo making Mario Galaxy 3 for the Wii U this fall or anything like that.

No, but it's still evidence that the platform is alive commercially today.

Sure, they supported hardware revisions and whatnot, but it's not like Super Mario Bros. 4 came out on the NES after the SNES was on the market for a couple years.

No, but titles of significance have appeared like Kirby's Dreamland 3 over a year after the release of the Nintendo 64.

Overall, I think Nintendo has done a decent job of phasing out platforms and supporting existing customers through the years, minus the Wii where despite my argument for it still being alive commercially today, was mishandled by Nintendo of America I strongly feel.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No offense, but if you're treating consoles like single-game-devices...that's on you, not Nintendo. I own probably 20ish games for Wii U and nearly all of them are fantastic.

Not really. Just Nintendo. They only made one game that I found involving; that was Splatoon. The others I bought were so-so. So, it's on Nintendo to actually produce content that I want to play. Like I said, I'm not writing the Switch off completely; however, this time around I will wait until there is a decent install base and a realistic price. C$450 is ridiculous for a system that can't even meet the processing and graphics specs of a legacy PS4 or XBOX1. The on-the-go aspects of the Switch aren't all that great to me. Sure it doubles as a home console and handheld unit, but I don't see that as an advantage, especially in terms of convenience. With the 3DS, a person could carry it in their back pocket. With the switch, you will have to have a backpack or constantly carry it in your hand. I do not see that as anything but clumsy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
One of the worst systems I ever owned was the original Wii. I hem-hawed about buying one for years, and finally caved near the end of its life cycle.

I bought Zelda:Skyward Sword, and after the first dungeon quit in frustration because of the terrible control from the Wiimote. Donkey Kong Country--whatever the title is-- was a breath of fresh air because you can hold the wiimote sideways, and play the game classic controller style.
Then it just became insanely difficult, and I lost interest. To this day I have 3 games for it. 2 that I quit, and a Mario game I thought was alright.

Point being, no one expects to buy a system for one game only. But sometimes given what is offered it just ends up that way.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is one thing that haunts me about the Switch though:
If there is a Super Mario Maker 2(more items, creatures, creation content etc.). I will be forced to purchase the system for that alone.
I just have a weird feeling I will see that announcement in the future, and then it is all over. Buying a system for one game is terrible, but if that happens then I'll be a Switch owner:thumbs-up-smiley:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That mushroom character on the bottom left is what you look like when you realize you have spent 300US (400C$) on a system that has nothing worth playing out for it. LOL

Just joking. I couldn't resist with that character looking like "The Scream".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just find it odd how much hate there is for the Switch here, considering it's trending bigger than the competition and has sold out its preorders at a pace faster than anything else.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
2 million units worldwide is impressive for the first allotment. If the Switch can continue to sell like this throughout the Summer, we will see.

I think the promotion of the Switch is very close to the Wii. Nintendo realizes you have to spend a lot of money to make a lot. Something they forgot with the WiiU.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just find it odd how much hate there is for the Switch here, considering it's trending bigger than the competition and has sold out its preorders at a pace faster than anything else.

No hate from me. I'll see what the game bundles/usage reviews are like in the fall before committing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Criticizing a piece of hardware for it's weaknesses and pricing is not hatred. I don't hate the Switch, but the machine does have a lot of weaknesses when it comes to power and convenience for the price asked. They have set the same price for the Switch in Canada as a more powerful console, the PS4, had at its initial roll-out. The portability and convenience of the Switch is nowhere near the 3DS which would fit in a pocket when it wasn't in use. Try doing that with the Switch. I can see most of these units eventually sitting in the dock at home as the inconvenience of carrying them around starts to outweigh the novelty. When the Switch starts sitting in the dock at home, it becomes just another under powered console that Nintendo seems famous for producing.

It looks impressive that 8 Switches can be locally connected to each other but, in practicality, how many times is a person going to run into someone with a Switch in a public venue, who will be willing or able to connect in gaming sessions? That function is useful as long as you have eight friends that will go and buy a Switch for the equivalent of a sewing circle for gamers.

The two million pre-orders is impressive, but it still falls well within the range of the "people-who-want-to-be-first-on-the-block" demographic. Time will tell, though. Nintendo certainly seems to be putting more effort into marketing this machine than they did with the WiiU; although, it is kind of a strange strategy to me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think you vastly under estimate the handheld market. I think it's pretty clear that while Nintendo is gonna support the 3DS for a little while longer, in 2-3 years it will likely be discontinued so the whole company can focus on the Switch. Combining their handheld and console resources/games library was exactly the move they needed to make.

And like the DS (and their other handhelds before it), I'd expect updated Switch hardware in the future rather than whole new console launches.

It looks impressive that 8 Switches can be locally connected to each other but, in practicality, how many times is a person going to run into someone with a Switch in a public venue, who will be willing or able to connect in gaming sessions?

I could see it being the next big thing for those all-day line waits at Comic Con.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Eurogamer is reporting that Nintendo will finally advance past 2005 for their downloadable DRM mechanism on the Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nally-link-purchases-to-accounts-not-consoles

As for the Nintendo Switch launch and whatever success it's going to enjoy, I'd argue that's almost irrelevant to even talk about it just yet. It's a new hardware launch from one of gaming's most beloved companies of the past 35 years, for a hobby that's never been as popular as it is today.

For better or worse, Nintendo won't have any trouble selling virtually every unit that they can get out there next month, thus it's all but impossible to gauge the true success of it in the coming weeks. The real test is what happens afterwards after the early adapter crowd is out of the way that was going to buy this just because it's the latest thing.

March 2018 is a more logical point in time to start to debate how the Switch is doing and where it's destined to go during the next several years before it dies out. We'll have the launch out of the way, we'll have seen how it performed during the Christmas gift buying season where Nintendo does the bulk of their sales each year, and we'll start to have an idea of what 2018 has ahead for it.

Either way, I'll be there. As a diehard Nintendo fan, I'm pretty easy to please. Just release at least one 3D and one 2D Mario platformer for it and more Zelda, and I'll end up loving it.

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So, how many here plan to get the Switch at launch, or at least the next allotment after?
I'm getting it at launch w/ Zelda.

Here's hoping the VC is up and running soon, and that I can get 2-5 solid games from it for relatively cheap from the eShop if I got them for Wii U.

I believe they said we would get VC info two weeks before launch. So that means next week.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I guess I missed out on the Zelda Special Edition preorders. I still dunno if I am getting it on cart or download, it might actually make sense to buy on cart for me unlike DVDs for X1/Ps4. Will see,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks