What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Switch save data is locked to the console and can't be transferred.

While that's something that I can live with (Although if I lost progress partway through Zelda because of it, I might be singing a different tune), it's rather inexcusable at the same time. There isn't even a need to lock saves for online multiplayer enabled games to prevent cheating, given that they can just be tied to an account to prevent their distribution to others.

That we can't remove the SD card, insert it into another Nintendo Switch, and log into our account to restore access to our save files residing on external flash memory boggles the mind. Not sure what Nintendo is gaining from this short of perhaps planning on cloud saves as a carrot to dangle in front of potential subscribers of their upcoming online service.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Like other aspects of the Switch, it's not clear if that save thing is just the current situation or the permanent situation. I also don't see the big deal. Yeah, if your Switch breaks and you need your data, that sucks. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is either introducing cloud backup later or has a way to move save data for customers who have a broken Switch.

In light of just how much the Switch gets right, this seems minor.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It will be a big deal for some people, and limits the usefulness of a true account based DRM solution when your save data can't go along.

On a system so dependent on microSD based media to expand the limited internal storage, there's really no excuse.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The micro SD cards are used for game data and DLC. Save data is exclusively held on the Switch internal memory.

EDIT: I think the one perspective of the Switch that kind of makes everything makes sense is to consider it as competition with tablets and phones rather than game consoles. The menus are straightforward and simple, there's no catchy music in the menus or online store, etc. It's very similar to the experience of using an iPad or Android tablet. So the inability to take save data off of it is kind of similar to what you have on those.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The micro SD cards are used for game data and DLC. Save data is exclusively held on the Switch internal memory.

I don't see the relevance in that. It's hardly a technical challenge to allow game saves to be stored on SD card and transferred. Even the Wii allowed this, minus some online multiplayer titles where it could enable people to cheat rather than progress honestly.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Did the Wii allow you to transfer save data with an SD card?

I'm curious to see what Nintendo's plan for online stuff ends up being. Mario Kart is coming in a month so they'll probably announce something before then.

Also, sales numbers were sort of released. Switch had the best Nintendo launch in North America ever, selling more units in 2 days than any Nintendo console before and Zelda sold more than any software release at launch. Japan and Europe sales were both well ahead of the Wii U but short of the Wii. However, considering a March launch the numbers were still really good.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that and looked it up. However, there's a few things to note. First off, the Wii had very little internal memory (512 MB), so backing up save data made sense. Second, you couldn't move save data for online games, VC suspend data, or games where the developer locked it out.

Considering the Switch has 32 GB of internal storage (25 or so available) and I can imagine lots of games having either online features, DLC, or just simply getting online updates, I'm not surprised at this decision. But, like nearly everything with console OS', it's possibly just temporary.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Is there a virtual store for the Switch yet? I would imagine cloud based saves back up would come when the virtual console stuff happens.

If not it would just be stupid.

Friend brought his Switch in to work so I got to try it a bit just now. Most impressive thing is how quick you can get back to your game when you power it on. I'm still holding out on buying one though. One day they'll bundle it with Mario Odyssey or something else.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You can buy games online through the eShop but there are no Virtual Console games yet. They haven't announced their VC plans.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Apparently, the Australian eShop has this for a news item.

"Take on classic games -
a different title each month
Now with online multiplayer!
Starting spring 2017"

Their spring is our Fall, isn't it? Could be in for a bit of a wait if this refers to the start of their Virtual Console program as a whole.

I suspect though that online enabled VC games are going to be a different animal from normal VC releases, and that this particular timing might instead correlate with the start of their online subscription service, which includes one of these online enabled classics as a free trial each month.

Then again, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hits in 6 weeks or so and online multiplayer is a major component of that franchise on modern hardware. Logically, launching their premium online service then would make sense.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo announced a while ago that their online stuff would charge a fee (they're saying in the $20-30 range for a year) and would include a new VC game with online functions added in each month. There's still some uncertainty around whether those games are free to download and keep, free for just the month, free forever but the online functions are only for the month, etc.

The online service doesn't start until this fall. Super Bomberman R already has online multiplayer, as will Mario Kart and Splatoon. It's just going to be free until the service launches.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Lots of NeoGeo games have appeared.

Not Virtual Console releases, but great to see that emulation isn't barred like it supposedly has been in the past for normal non-VC eShop releases, to push publishers to support the Virtual Console.

Not only is the increased freedom for publishers good since clearly the Virtual Console hasn't exactly won over most of those with classic IP libraries like Sega, but it also means that you're not limited to the systems that Nintendo wants to cover if you want to release an emulated classic game on this system.

That means that something like Vectrex Regeneration (for an example of a semi-recent classic compilation on mobile devices) is entirely doable on the Switch, where as apparently it wouldn't of been allowed on the Wii U as an eShop exclusive due to publisher restrictions.

Not crazy about the $8 prices that Hamster is asking for, though.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Blaster Master looks fun. I'll be grabbing that one.

I doubt I'll go for any Neo Geo downloads though. I have good versions of most of what interests me with that library except for the overhead racers, and those are titles I expect to never see rereleased.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I saw 8 Switch systems in two different stores this weekend. I truly, from the bottom of my heart hope people are searching their local brick n mortar stores for units before they buy off E-BAY. Seeing the systems sell for between four-six hundred $'s(average being about $500) from scalpers breaks my heart.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought KoF and Master Blaster. Meh.

Well, his review wasn't too bad. At least he admitted beforehand that he was a Nintendo fanboy, so I could expect the review to softball it when it comes to being critical of the system. He managed to bring up some good points; however, I had to laugh when he said that the Switch didn't look garish compared to other consoles. Pink and Blue controllers are not garish looking. Really? Plus it has to sit beside the TV, right in plain view with those candy colored controllers, rather than be able to put it in an unobtrusive spot.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The controllers are neon red and blue, not pink, and you can get one that has gray JoyCons instead. You can also remove the controllers and use them to play or put them somewhere else and use a Pro Controller.

Honestly, the Switch doesn't have to sit right next to the TV. If you've got a long enough HDMI cable then you can put it anywhere. The bigger issue is that it needs to be in view of the controller you're playing with. It hasn't been an issue whatsoever for me and I really doubt it's been one for others. Saying "it needs to be out in the open" as a negative is like saying "the Xbox One/PS4 needs a lot of open air ventilation" as a negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks