What's new

NIN: Downward Spiral 5.1 remix reviews (2 Viewers)

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I just bought this disc and want to know what others think of it. I am at work and cannot tell how it sounds until later tonight. The CD side worked in my Mazda Protege5 6 disc changer though.

Also since I hear of reports of DualDisc not be compatible anyone else planning on burning this disc to CD-R and DVD-R and using those instead?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I rec'd several Silverline titles, including The Mavericks, Jane Monheit, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Robert Cray, etc. None played in my 2001 Volvo S60 or 2004 Saturn VUE factory-installed single-slot CD players, although they all played on each of my DVD or SA-CD/DVD universal players - AND also played in my 1987 JVC CD player. Go figure... I was able to burn CD-R copies for the vehicles and all is well.

Cheers,

dan fritzen

Second Unit
My first impressions of Downward Spiral 5.1

This is the same old CD we all know but it almost sounds like a new subtle mix. Trent always likes to layer his songs and consequently a lot gets missed. What he transfers to the rears and sides now stands out whereas it did not before. It sounds different yet true to the original songs. This is evident in songs like March of the Pigs where the guitar in the rears really stands out, I almost questioned whether the original had these sounds I was hearing, and this was true on other songs as well. Songs like A Warm Place and Eraser bleed through from all speakers in a natural way. I truly like this version of Downward Spiral. Trent really knows what he is doing when he makes 5.1 audio I look for to more remastered discs from him.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Dan- Good review. I want mine sooner now. :) One Best Buy near me has the DualDisc, but even though their computer said they had 8 SACDs, they didn't know where they were. I'll check back. I want the SACD.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
The BB I went to today did not have them in the SACD section. They were stocked in the regular CD section under Nine Inch Nails. Did not see any DualDiscs. I skimmed through the NIN SACD, and it did sound excellent. I agree with Dan. Really brought out the layers of the music, and it's not overly aggressive on the mix. Nice, embracing soundfield created.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think to check the SACD section. Shoot. I only checked the normal CD section, and asked a helper dude who didn't know where it was.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
my best buy had them in the normal section and not the sacd section.

i saw no dual discs, but i do have it ordered from amazon and its on its way now. i'm just hoping its less than 4 gigs so it can be copied if it wont play right without any recompression or anything

dan fritzen

Second Unit

I believe it is 4.25GB, as Alcohol copied it at that size, but then DVD shrink copied it at less than a Gig without compression, so it is small either way. I want to copy it to DVD and store the original as a backup.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Went to BB and they did not have it in the SACD or CD section. I asked and they spent about 45 min trying to find it, because they had it listed as in stock. They had one copy of the Dualdisc left, so I picked that up and got a raincheck for the SACD.

Keith M.

Second Unit
Im so confused, does the Dualdisc have the bonus b-sides disc like the SACD? Or just videos?

Im about to order the SACD version or should I order both?

THX

dan fritzen

Second Unit

Dual Disc has the entire album on one side on CD in stereo of course. On the DVD it has the entire album in stereo and 5.1 Dobly as well as some artwork and 4 videos, closure 5.1 and 2.0, March of the pigs 2.0, and Hurt 2.0.

It does not have the bonus songs the SACD has, but those can be found elsewhere.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Here's more info about the deluxe edition and the DualDisc:
http://tds.nin.com/

You can even listen to samples of the entire album and the second disc of rare tracks that's on the Deluxe edition.

Unfortunately, the Deluxe Edition doesn't look like a "must have" to me... I already have the original Downward Spiral version and three of the songs on the second disc because I have the Further Down the Spiral EP. Also, I'm pretty sure few of the other tracks have already been previously released. I probably won't be getting either version at the moment.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I bought the dual disc SACD version.

Beware...Mine was all f'ed up. I just returned it and I was looking for others with issues like mine.

"Hurt" was really bad...kind of like someone was constantly wiggling my left channel speaker leads both front and rear in the multi-channel mix. I switched to the Stereo DSD layer and had the same issues. I'm hoping mine was just a bad copy. But the rest of the album had issues as well. Several of the tunes had the same left channel issues, although a bit less often than "Hurt".

I thought my system was screwed up. After listening to the whole disc, I replaced it with a couple other to diagnose the issue. Of the other 3 discs I played, no others had the same issue.

Maybe a bad batch of discs? Anyone else with this issue I would love to hear your opinion

Thanks,

Jeremy

AricB

Second Unit
I didnt hear anything like that, but will further inspect tonight. i only did the once through, and was not paying close attention.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Dualdisc is DVD-A, not SACD, which I thought was the definition of dualdisc - CD on one side and DVD and/or DVD-A on the other.

NOTE: if you haven't read it already, all of the big name manufacturers have published warnings that dualdisc is not compatible with all players, and you player may be one of them.

I have Further Down the Spiral too, but I still want the SACD remaster. I haven't opened the Dualdisc yet.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
John,

By dual disc, I meant the 2 disc DSD set...not the single DVD/A/Redbook release.

BTW...I am using the Denon 3910

Jeremy

AricB

Second Unit
that's what i have the 2 disc sacd set, (and the dual disc also). i will listen to the sacd tonight and see if mine is doing that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks