What's new

NIN: Downward Spiral 5.1 remix reviews (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
by the way, i found a (seemingly) fool-proof method for buying these at BB: i got the BB SKU from their website, then called my local store and asked them if they had the SKU in stock. That's how i got 2 "deluxe editions" yesterday.

Deluxe Edition (with SACD) and extra disc:

DualDisc (with DVD-Audio and 3 music videos):
6909991 (thanks John!)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can give you the SKU for the Dualdisc when I get home.

The (quiet) version of Hurt is what was played on the radio, and is the commonly known version, but the album version has always had that distortion. I thought there was something wrong with my system the first time I heard it too, so I stuck it in another player and got the same thing.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
David- That doesn't always work. I went my local BB, and their computer said they had 8 of the SACDs in stock. But nobody could find them over the 2 days of me stopping back. :)

Geremia P.

Stunt Coordinator
I've been to three different Best Buys in the past ten days. All stores indicate that they have the SACD in stock [one store supposedly has 35 copies], but I am yet to get hold of one.

This is in Denver, by the way.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
There are a lot of answers here I would love to hear the Fragile in 5.1. I am hoping he gets the new record finished in 5.1 for a day and date release. Otheriwse I'll be double dipping on this one.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Those were great questions and answers on the NIN site. the new NIN album mixed in 5.1, and the fragile to be in sight as well. Now if one we can get Tool to release Lateralus in 5.1.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Brand new QA and up today with Trent, he wants to do Pretty Hate Machine in 5.1 as well but working with TVT to get it done might cause trouble.

Also with teeth will hopefully have a simultaneous 5.1 release!

Also he states nothing was added to the 5.1 mix of TDS.

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else listned to the second disk in SACD stereo. I went through Dead Souls and Hurt last night and thought it sounded awful for an SACD. The Redbook layer sounded much better to me. Could be the Room correction and bass management for the Redbook by my reciever. But I could not even crank it very good with out distortion and it just sound flat. The CD layer was much clearer and alive. I have not had this problem with other stereo SACD(own quite a few). Just curious if any one else had a bad experience with the Second disk SACD layer.

I have a Sony single disk SACD/DVD player with a Yamaha VSX-1400 with Mirage 250's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dead Souls sounded very similar to the redbook, IMO, but the SA layer still sounded better. It's not a track that I would say "Here's a good example of how SACD can sound". Hurt sounded fine. I'm using a Sony 222ES, Marantz 8300 & GR Research A/V-2s.

SWEET, I noticed he also mentioned the possibility of Broken and Fixed getting released in 5.1! I enjoyed both of those discs.

Gregory E

Second Unit

Would be AMAZING. But don't hold your breathe. You'll die.

I still need to pick up the NiN Dualdisc....

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have listened to Dead Souls extensively on the original Crow soundtrack. I thought the SACD version was a little clearer than the redbook. A definite improvement though despite how small the difference.

AricB

Second Unit

Chris, when i get a chance I'll check out mine. I have a similar setup. 1400 with mirage 250's as my rears, OM-10's as my fronts. I could possibly switch them quick and see how it sounds.

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that the DVD side of the dualdisc has a DD stereo track?

If I didn't have a DVD-A player, choosing between the CD stereo and DD 5.1 tracks might be a tough choice. DD stereo vs. CD stereo though, hmm, tough decision. (or am I wrong about CD stereo being better than DD stereo?)

Seems odd to have that when the DVD player should be able to play the CD side as well.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, I got the Dual disc in the mail the other day off of John Garcia (thanks again) and it sounds incredible. Unfortunately, it doesnt have any bonus songs, it does have a complete list of all the Halo's. and 3 videos, "Hurt", "Closer" (uncensored) 5.1 and/or stereo, and the video for "March of Pigs" which was shot live., aside from that, while the tracks are being played, different pictures are displayed every 8-10 seconds. The Advanced Resolution is incredible I must say with excellent use of 5.1. I'd expect the SACD to be the same. This is definetly a title which will get a lot of playing time. I cannot wait for some other NIN titles to be released. especially "The Fragile" and "With Teeth"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks